main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

How did Yoda know about Rule of Two?

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by caedis_black, May 27, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. caedis_black

caedis_black Jedi Youngling

May 27, 2005
    I posted this elsewhere but this has always bothered me.

Yoda knows about the Rule of Two for the Sith. But . . . Wasn't the rule of two created by Darth Bane after the Sith nearly wiped themselves out? The same point where the Jedi thought the Sith were extinct? The Jedi Council states that the Sith had been gone for a millenia yet Yoda says that there are always two. How would he know if this wasn't implemented till after they went underground?

2. nyjet10

nyjet10 Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 1, 2005
    Because Yoda was around when the Sith were the rulers of the Galaxy. 800 years prior to TPM.

3. YoungAngus

YoungAngus Jedi Master star 5

May 7, 2005
    800 years ago the sith were taken out by Yoda and they thought they were extinct, but Bane made up some rule about only having 2 and it stayed that way and they waited until they had there revenge. I think thats how it is i dont read Eu or anything.

4. Darth_Iquitous

Darth_Iquitous Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 9, 2001
    GL said something like that, along the lines of Palpatine possibly being a remnant from that era, staying alive using secret Sith techniques he learned from his master, Darth Plagueis.

So, if Yoda was alive during the time of the Great Sith War (as I believe it is called) 800 years prior to the Galactic Civil War, then surely the Jedi at the time knew the structure of the Sith Order. If the Sith are the enemy and the Jedi need to find them and destroy them, they must have done extensive research and reconaissance into the subject and the whereabouts and identities of the Sith lords. Since the Sith were believed to be extinct, the limited Jedi knowledge of the Sith disappeared when the last Jedi from that era died...except Yoda, who apparently was tight-lipped about any knowledge he had of the Sith, up until the events of TPM.

5. FurryFriend

FurryFriend Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 14, 2005
    This question is why there is material for a prequel to the prequel!

6. ClonedEmperor

ClonedEmperor Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 12, 2005
    Its 1000 years ago that the sith war accurred, therefore making since of "The sith have been extinct for a millenium" not "theyve been out of the picture for about a millenium, give or take a couple hundred years"

7. caedis_black

caedis_black Jedi Youngling

May 27, 2005
    No I am not buying any of these answers. Somehow, Yoda KNEW that there were only two and it seems that the other Jedi did not. Otherwise why tell Windu at the end of TPM? Also, even if he had encountered Sith, one or two at a time, how would he know there were ONLY 2? How would any Jedi know ANYTHING about the Sith after they went underground. It seems obvious that Yoda has encountered Sith before and in enough detail to know something of their ritual, tradition, etc.

8. Sith-Jedi-Master

Sith-Jedi-Master Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 9, 2004
    caedis_black

well concidering that Yoda has been around for 800 odd years he does know some stuff, i think that he told mace at then end was becuase Yoda thought that the sith was no more, they have not been seen for more then a couple of hundard of years so yeah, Yoda was surprise i think by the sudden emergence of the sith. That is y he told mace.

9. Matt-trooper

Matt-trooper Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 19, 2005
    Wasn't the Sith war the war that was being fought in KOTOR,4000 years before TPM.
    Anyway. The story goes that after or during the sith war, the sith nearly wiped each other out fighting for control. So only Darth Bane was left and he created rule of 2.
    Now, how could yoda know this, since the Sith Order was somewhat of a secret.
    I'm not sure about how many years before TPM Bane re-organized the Sith Order, but the plan Sidious executes in ROTS is a 2000 year old plan by the order.

So this is my take on how Yoda knows(and its quite possible Mace and the other masters know too).

After the Great Sith War 4000 yrs before TPM, the sith almost wipe each other out and only two are left. Bane reforms the order. Fast Foward another one or two thousand years and two sith lords start another war against the jedi and republic. Good guys win yet again and jedi find out about the rule of two , but think they have finally wiped out the sith. But maybe the master or apprentice survive and decide to go into secrecy again and wait for a time when it is an ideal time to bring down the republic and the jedi.

Now I haven't played KOTOR 2, so this probably dosen't fit in with the story.
    Please don't be too cranky with me If what I just wrote up dosen't make sense.

10. couture0718

couture0718 Jedi Youngling

May 22, 2005
    The Jedi Archives.

Enough said.

11. nyjet10

nyjet10 Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 1, 2005
    KOTOR isn't canon

12. Drumstick

Drumstick Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 29, 2004
    Maybe when Yoda was first learning to use the force information on the Sith was taught to the Jedi, but by Mace's time, so long after the Sith had been known to be extinct, it was dropped from the curriculum. At that point, the Jedi probably only heard little bits and pieces about them, and the majority of it was all in the archives.

13. ClonedEmperor

ClonedEmperor Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 12, 2005
    I like the theory drumstick

14. Lord_Of_Sith

Lord_Of_Sith Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 28, 2005
    It took time to "exterminate" the Sith. During that period the Jedi would have noticed this new pattern repeating itself - until the last Sith/Apprentice team found a good hiding place & escaped.

15. Snoogle

Snoogle Jedi Youngling

May 25, 2005
    Maybe we're taking what he said in too large of a scale. I don't know any official explanation but maybe it was just meant to say whoever this is didn't learn this out of nowhere. He had to be taught by someone or to continue the Sith ways requires teaching someone else. I doubt he knew of the rule, he was just rationalizing that the Sith arts don't just pop in your head and you wouldn't risk them being gone if you died so there must be at least one other than Maul.

16. All_Powerful_Jedi

All_Powerful_Jedi Force Ghost star 4

Sep 12, 2003
    Yoda only said that line to make it clear to the audience. I'm sure all of the Jedi knew their Sith history and know that their nature is to destroy themselves, thus there is always only two due to issues of trust.

It's not really a "rule" since Darth Vader and the Emperor openly act as if Luke can become the "3rd Sith" (despite them both plotting against each other). It's just the way the Sith end up, always.

17. Boba-Frapp

Boba-Frapp Jedi Youngling

May 28, 2005
    Becaue Yoda is really old and wise. Refrences to anything outside the movies is hogwash.

18. saber_master69

saber_master69 Jedi Youngling

May 20, 2005
    All_Powerful_Jedi thats not true because sidious was counting on vader to overthrow him he even says it in ep.3

19. DarthTrump

DarthTrump Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 12, 2005
    That is a good question How did Yoda Know?

20. Cereal_Killa

Cereal_Killa Jedi Youngling

Mar 4, 2005
    Because just like the Jedi they are paired up. The Jedi can't break the code and have two apprentices at a time. So logically when the Sith were at large and had large fractions through out the galaxy they too had 1 master per apprentice. Yoda is just using logic that must be stored about events that took place before he was born in the Jedi Temple archives.

I mean it just seems logical.

21. Darth_Ziantor

Darth_Ziantor Jedi Youngling star 3

May 5, 2005
    The theory everyone wants to say, but is to scared to:

YODA IS A SITH IN DISGUISE! If Palps could do it, Yoda definitely could. He was waiting for the perfect time for everything to fall into place. That's why he pretended to refuse to train Luke. It's because it caused Luke some anguish, to think he couldn't be trained. Then, Yoda did all kinds of things that helped Luke, but wasn't really enough for him to beat Vader. Yoda wanted Luke to fall. Yoda was probably the Sith apprentice to Darth Bane's apprentice, and then acted as an undercover Jedi agent for years, passing along information to the Sith. He was absent from the mess when Palps was first discovered to be Sith. Sure, he was on a mission, but he put himself there on purpose, so he wouldn' be exposed when Palps was unmasked, keeping his identity safe for a longer period of time. Then, Yoda was jealous that Palps would get all the notoriety of being a Sith, so he tried to kill him, under the guise of trying to bring back order to the galaxy. That explains all of Yoda's actions.

22. BothofUs

BothofUs Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 5, 2003
    How did Yoda know about Rule of Two?

Maybe we'll find out in the prequel prequel.

23. slimybug

slimybug Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 14, 2001
    Okay, it's very simple.

THE SITH ARE TWO!! They were that way before the Jedi thought they were extinct. First there were many, than there were only two, and then the Jedi thought they killed both of them, but at least on secretly survived. And what do you mean it seems like the other Jedi didn't know about the rule of two?! The only line referencing it was Yoda saying "Alsways two there are..." How the hell does that make it seem like the other Jedi didn't know?

Slimy!

24. MikeSolo

MikeSolo Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 6, 2002
    The Wookies told him.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.