main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

How did you become a fan of the Classic Trilogy?

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by Leah, Mar 29, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ratmankey

ratmankey Jedi Master star 4

Feb 15, 2002
    My story's kind of weird. I barely remember seeing ANH for the first time...I was maybe 3, and all I remember from that first viewing was Greedo. Later (dunno how much later) my mom rented the sequels...trouble is, she rented them OUT OF ORDER. I saw ROTJ first, then ESB. So the big surprise was ruined :) Believe it or not, I liked ESB the best even at that age...I remember being totally wowed by the Cloud City duel. Over the years after that, I rented them all every now and then...I was a fan, but not an obsessive Fan with a capital F.

Flash forward to the summer of 1995. I'd just turned 11. I stumbled across the novelization of ANH in the library. I picked it up, read it, loved it...naturally I had to re-watch the movie. I honestly don't know what was different about that viewing, but something clicked. That was IT. I can't even count how many times I rented and watched it that summer. I actually didn't even watch ESB or ROTJ...it was just all ANH, all the time. Later that year the THX set got released, I saved up my money, bought it, and the rest is history :)

2. amien

amien Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 23, 2002
    The first time I came across Star Wars was in the late 90's, when someone gave my brother a stormtrooper mask toy for his birthday. Actually, he got a lot of Star Wars toys. This was just before the SE's, I guess they were hyping it up with toys.

I was 9 years old when I saw the trailer for ANH on TV in 1997 and my dad said, "Hey, that's Star Wars! I saw that!" and he took me and my brother to see it. I guess we liked it all right, I remember being stunned by the magical quality and weirdness of it; it also scared me. (ie: Owen and Beru's corspes) I remember going to a diner afterwards, and saying to my dad ... "So ... his name is Luke?" I guess I was surprised by that, because Luke is a "normal" name, and all the other characters had weird ones.

My Dad had never seen ESB or ROTJ, and so the three of us saw them when they came out in the theater's. It was kind of a thing we did together, and while we didn't love the movies, they had some sort of magical appeal to them. I remember being confused, a little frightened, and curious about the movies.

So anyway I was real excited when TPM came out in 1999, although I have absolutely no memory of seeing in the theater. In fact the only thing I remember were kids talking about in school. This is particulary strange because I was 11 years old when TPM came out; you'd think I'd remember it.

I guess I was always a fan, I used to imagine what the PT would have been like if it was made (I didn't know they were actually making it until I saw TPM.), I read books about it and played with my brother's action figures. I had a talking C3PO recorder I carried around. My Dad only bought ANH, because when we were in the store, he only had just enough money to buy one of the tapes and I guess he liked that movie best.

It wasn't until last year, with the trailer of AOTC that I got really into it. I went on the internet and read all the spoilers and such.

Yes, that is my long and boring story.

3. Elf

Elf Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 21, 1998
    God, all you young'uns make me feel old!!!!!

Saw the original at a DRIVE IN. Anyone else remember those?

4. Naccha

Naccha Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 6, 1999
    Ummmmm....I saw them when they came out...and haven't been the same since :)

5. Jedi of the West

Jedi of the West Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 7, 1999
    I became a lifelong fan when I saw Star Wars in the theatre back in 1977.

6. FogeyKenobi

FogeyKenobi Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 31, 2003
    I was actually hooked when I saw the original trailer, when Ben ignited his lightsabre. I thought it weas the coolest thing ever. Then I went to see the original release in 1977 and couldn't wait to see it again, and again and again. I think I saw it 7 or 8 times that summer.

7. jedi_quinn

jedi_quinn Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 10, 2002
    I remember my mum taking me to see ROTJ at the cinema. I'm not sure if it was the 1983 release, but I would have been 3 or 4 if it was. I must have seen at least one the other SW films because I remember expecting to see R2 and 3-PO!

I can kind of remember being into SW as a kid. I had some figures and a MF (which i gave away at some point :( ), and remember watching SW films taped of the telly.

Then I got to about 14 or 15 and probably hadn't seen a SW film in 5+ years and I just had a real URGE to watch them all again (was it the force :confused:). That was about the time they re-issued SW in the Digitally Remastered format (pre-SE's). I bought ANH and ROTJ because I had fond memories of them, and got ESB (now my fave and wondered why I didn't get it first) for my birthday a few months later.

And that was when I got back into SW. I saw all the SE's at the cinema, bought the videos etc (now cursing myself for not getting them in widescreen - fool!) and basically went mental when I found out they were making the PT.

I wasn't around here for all the rumours relating to TPM and most of AOTC, but I remember reading in a newspaper that Kenneth Brannagh was being considered for a young Obi-Wan [shudders]. DOn't know how true it was. Actually I might post it in the TPM forum to find out.

Oops I've started gibbering on a bit. Did I mention SW is great!

8. Hans-Olo

Hans-Olo Jedi Master star 5

Feb 12, 2003
    Well I saw Star Wars for first time in the early 90s on TV. Well gun fights between Han Solo and several bad guys impressed me, thats how I imagine a "classic science fiction" with laser shooting ...
    And of course the bad guy we all know (Vader) was so cool.

9. DarthBane420

DarthBane420 Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 13, 2003
    I am there with you Elf. I have seen everyone on opening day except ANH, I saw that in second week at a drive in.
    There is nothing like the midnight movie experience of a SW movie.
    It's like a Grateful Dead concert minus the blotter.

10. gezvader28

gezvader28 Chosen One star 6

Mar 22, 2003
    I live in the UK and we didn't get star wars until January 1978, but all that previous Summer I'd been hearing about it and seeing pictures etc. each new picture I saw was fantastic and pretty soon I was really into it, this was the first movie that really looked 'BIG' it looked like it showed worlds and places and variety, but not in a cheap TV way.
    Then I read the novel -- and that was it, I thought that story was the best story I had ever read. It really was the story that hooked me. It's the greatest adventure story ever written.
    Luke goes from being a farmboy who's a nobody to being the saviour of the Galaxy, all within a few days, and it's done in a totally believable way.

Plus - usually a movie has 2 or 3 great characters, but SW has at least 7 or 8 .

There really was something about the look of SW, the sets, the vehicles, the cinematography, it really looked so different, so exciting, really really exciting.
    Eventually I saw the movie and I was right, it was the best thing ever.

gez

11. ratmankey

ratmankey Jedi Master star 4

Feb 15, 2002
    Elf: I still go to drive-ins all the time...and I'm 18!

12. Darth_Deagol

Darth_Deagol Jedi Master star 2

Dec 22, 2002
    When I saw ESB in the theater when it was first released. I was very young. I remember it well.

13. starwarsfan182

starwarsfan182 Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 8, 2002
    Im 18 yrs old(born 9-25-84) and I became a Star Wars fan when my dad bought the OT, when i was 4-5 yrs old and when i watched them i thought they were the greatest movies ever. I also remember when i was in Kindergarten I told a kid in my class about SW and I think I told him Lightsabers were "Life Sabers"(lol)but im not sure but I know I told him about Lightsabers. Anyways i've been a SW fan ever since and i have never regretted being a fan cuz i love SW and think its the greatest. Also i have a lot of SW merchandise, all 5 Movies(of course {altho i will have all 6 movies soon} ), books, comic books, toys, videogames, posters, etc.

14. beedubew

beedubew Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 25, 2002
    I grew up on it. ROTJ was the first movie I saw in the theatres....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.