main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga How did you imagine Anakin to be like before the prequels?

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by AshiusX, Apr 2, 2016.

1. LadyZ

LadyZ Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 16, 2000
    Personality wise I imagined him exactly as he was described in PT, but I imagined him a bit older... I was convinced that he had dark hair and dark eyes, similar to Leia's... and I imagined him with a beard... Still I loved the guy in PT, no disappoinment at all.

2. _Sublime_Skywalker_

_Sublime_Skywalker_ Jedi Master star 4

May 8, 2004
    This. Ben describes Anakin as a skilled warrior and pilot, a good and honourable man/Jedi. I expected some of the inner, emotional conflict like portrayed in AOTC, and assumed he would turn regarding some aspect of forbidden love (seeing as Luke and Leia would need a mother,) but thought most of his fall would be attributed to wanting unlimited power...which I suppose in a way it was.

3. Jester J Binks

Jester J Binks Jedi Master star 4

Dec 19, 2016
    I honestly don't recall, but I probably didn't put much thought into it. I just accepted that he was a Jedi that filled out the application for the darkside and was approved. Somewhere along the way I heard the rumor of the Kenobi/Anakin lava duel before TPM came out. Before that, I imagined his scarred appearance had to do with *many* battles. A build up of war wounds even prior to the turn.

The reality is any thoughts I had were probably pretty one dimensional as I didn't spend time writing Star Wars stories in my head or on paper. The closest I came to that was when I was a kid playing with my figures and I'd imagine what I came up back then was pretty shallow. There wasn't a young Anakin Skywalker action figure, so I never played out that scenario.

Darth_Dave_1984 likes this.
  4. Strongbow

Strongbow Force Ghost star 5

Nov 6, 2014
    I imagined him to be physically bigger. Hayden is tall, but rather spare. It's just his build.

I thought he would be older when we first see him. I got worried when I saw they were going to have this 9-year-old kid version of him. And I'm sorry to say those fears were realized for me. I thought we'd meet him as a older teen or young man.

I did not think his fall would be so self-oriented. I get what Lucas was going for, but for me, Anakin's motivations in his fall seemed incredibly parochial and selfish. It's hard for me to believe the other Jedi, especially Obi-Wan, would not have sensed that in him. I expected him to be a more "means justifies the ends" kind of guy.

Lastly I expected a more mature character. Hayden's Anakin was essentially an adolescent the entire time, even when he was supposed to be a man in his 20's. His concerns and attitudes, even through Ep III, remain fairly adolescent in their nature. I'm not sure why Lucas chose to go that route. There is nothing inherently wrong with that approach for a character, but it did not match up well with the Vader we come to know in the OT.

5. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #2 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    Just because he isn't who you expected him to be should not ruin the character, IMO.

Subtext Mining likes this.
  6. oncafar

oncafar Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2017
    i guess i thought obi-wan met anakin in his early 20s (obi-wan would have been a bit older, perhaps late 20s or early 30s). "when i first knew your father he was already a great pilot but i was amazed at how strongly the force flowed through him." (ps. relating to how i see rey as a kenobi, i feel like the skywalkers and kenobis are often impressed by each other's force abilities).

i saw anakin as a good person (very much like luke) who became misguided thinking he had to employ darker methods. i expected anakin to be faced with complex circumstances in which i might be able to see myself following his choices. the anakin we met in eps. 1-3 was not who i imagined. he was... an idiot. lol

but strangely i've adapted.

7. Biel Ductavis

Biel Ductavis Jedi Master star 4

Aug 17, 2015
    I saw him before the prequels as similar to what later was Peter Jackson's version of Boromir in LOTR. Approximately the same age, noble, a strong character but seduced to the longing for power by the desperation and violence of the Clone Wars. Loyal and a true friend of Obi Wan.

8. Kylo_Luke

Kylo_Luke Jedi Knight

Jan 10, 2017
    From what Obi Wan told Luke in ANH, I thought of him as a Jedi Knight, the best star pilot in the Galaxy, a cunning warrior and a good friend. I was disappointed when Obi Wan told he had been killed by a young Jedi named Vader- and really thought "Bummer. I would've loved to see this Anakin guy! He sounds amazing!" Then it was revealed that Vader is Luke's father in ESB, and when I got over the shock, I was now even more intrigued by Anakin. In ROTJ Luke removed Vaders mask, and I finally saw his face (instead of the back of his head from ESB)- and thought "Is this really Anakin?"
    Time went by and a few years later TPM came, then AOTC and finally ROTS- and here I was thinking to myself "Anakin Skywalker looks amazing on paper and when people talk about him, but the execution in those films didn't match my vision of him" Now, TCW came by and I really loved his character. This is the Anakin character Obi Wan told Luke about in ANH, and I for one was thrilled!
    So I imagined Anakin before the PT like he is in TCW.

Darth__Lobot and Krueger like this.
  9. jade_nova

jade_nova Jedi Youngling

Nov 13, 2016
    I pictured him as a weak Force user who went to the dark side to become stronger.

10. GregMcP

GregMcP Force Ghost star 5

Jul 7, 2015
    Waaay back watching Star Wars as a little kid...
    Luke's father as described by Obi Wan was distant lost father figure. A idealised vision a kid might have of that father they had never seen.

Strong jawed and handsome and brave and honourable. Poe Dameron perhaps in a way. Never to be seen, so never disapointing the dream.

Rather sad actually.

And then you find out who your dad actually is...

Avnar, Sarge, ATMachine and 1 other person like this.
  11. Cryogenic

Cryogenic Force Ghost star 5

Jul 20, 2005
    You know...

I guess I tried not to "imagine" Anakin too much before the prequels.

I'm a bit bothered by the fact he didn't turn out to be Jar Jar.

Though, symbolically, that's what he is. ;)

anakinfansince1983 and Sarge like this.
  12. Tom Skywalker

Tom Skywalker Jedi Knight star 1

Jun 18, 2020
    How did you imagine Anakin to be like before the prequels?

Well, basically like this (along with young Obi-Wan).

Less like a whiny teenager, probably more like a deeply frustated Jedi knight in his early 30s with some psychopathic tendencies.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2021
    Sarge and Lobot's Wig like this.
  13. Lobot's Wig

Lobot's Wig Jedi Knight star 4

Dec 13, 2020
    There is something rather classically surreal but intriguing about that photo above. It's Star Wars, Ealing Studios style. I kind of want to see it.

Before the prequels, my personal imagining of Anakin Skywalker was that he would be a tall, well-built and generally well-liked regular member of a brotherhood of knights similar to King Arthur's Knights of the Round Table, and who just went rogue. I didn't envisage him as a whiny and petulant individual with a messianic "chosen one" angle.

14. devilinthedetails

devilinthedetails Fiendish Fanfic & SWTV Manager, Interim Tech Admin star 6 Staff Member Administrator

Jun 19, 2019
    I figured he was a hotshot pilot and a skilled lightsaber fighter since Obi-Wan recalled him as "the best starfighter pilot in the galaxy and a cunning warrior." A strong Jedi and Force user like Yoda said ("your father, powerful Jedi was he"). A good friend of Obi-Wan's and Obi-Wan's former student in the Jedi arts. Temperamentally, I pictured him as a bit like Luke: idealistic but also prone to impatience and anger. I thought that Luke's temptations and flaws were implied to be very similar to the ones that had caused his father's downfalll, but that Luke had succeeded in resisting the temptations at the end of ROTJ that had corrupted his father into serving the Dark Side.

Largely that was the version of him that I saw in the prequels. I got to see his piloting skills from TPM onwards. I got to see his skill with a lightsaber particularly in ROTS. I got to see him as a student of Obi-Wan's in AOTC and as his friend in ROTS. I did see that idealistic side of Anakin that reminded me of Luke as well as the impatience and the anger. So, to me, the PT version of Anakin's character aligned with my mental image of what he might have been like from the OT.

Truthfully, I didn't truly become interested in Anakin as a character until TPM. To me, I really first started knowing and caring about Anakin Skywalker as a character in TPM when we meet him as this curious, innocent boy with so much energy and admiration for the Jedi. Before that, to me, he wasn't really fleshed out as a character, and his story truly became tragic to me because of the PT. It was in the PT that I learned he spent his childhood as a slave on Tatooine. That I learned his mother had been captured and tortured to death by Tusken Raiders. That I learned he had been haunted by dreams of his mother's death and then his wife's. Those were the kind of things that made his character journey truly meaningful and tragic to me.

Before the PT, I thought Anakin's story was important primarily for how I could imagine it paralleling Luke's. After the PT, I felt it was important and tragic in its own right. To me, the PT very much enhanced Anakin's story and the Star Wars saga in general.

15. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    Didn’t think about it too much before the PT. Although I can say I definitely didn’t expect a Han Solo type driven by cool quips, nor did I expect another Luke but with a dark ending.

16. -NaTaLie-

-NaTaLie- Force Ghost star 4

Nov 5, 2001
    Am I the only one who thought Anakin would be mostly a bad guy? Someone who was good when Obi-Wan met him but was seduced by the dark side quickly due to his youth or inexperience and desire for power. Obi-Wan said he "betrayed and murdered" Luke's father so it kind of sounded like he pretended to be a good Jedi for a while and then betrayed the Jedi for Palpatine and then Obi-Wan found out and dueled him. Yes, Obi-Wan said Luke's father was a good friend but I figured this was retconned into a lie in the subsequent movies. I did expect him to be a great pilot and a powerful warrior since it matched Vader's persona. I kind of expected Obi-Wan to be the protagonist of the prequels (in some ways, he is).

So, unlike a lot of OT purists, I was actually happy to see an optimistic kid in TPM and a struggling, but still mostly good young man later on. Even the fact that love and attachment were the primary catalyst for his fall actually makes him more sympathetic and it's more believable he'd sacrifice himself to save his son whom he'd only met once before. His frustration with the political situation in the Republic is still there but not in the forefront.

17. darthfettus2015

darthfettus2015 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 15, 2012
    i imagined him to have a beard like obi wan and look a bit like uncle Owen

18. Billy Budd

Billy Budd Jedi Padawan

Jan 5, 2021
    I imagined him as more of an ordinary guy who went astray due to some extraordinary circumstances. Or as ordinary as you can be when you're a Jedi. The combination of the prophecy and the fact that the Jedi didn't really wan to train him initially I guess put paid to that. He was always going to be fairly complex.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2021
    wobbits and Darth Chuck Norris like this.
  19. Lobot's Wig

Dec 13, 2020
    Yes, this is how I imagined him to be. A rather unremarkable and anonymous Jedi Knight, just one of many.

Billy Budd likes this.
  20. mtt02263

mtt02263 Jedi Master star 2

Oct 29, 2020
    I imagined him probably in much the way Luke did, a powerful Jedi, amazing pilot, great warrior. A man who at some point made the wrong choice or choices and was manipulated by the Emperor into becoming Darth Vader. That's what made Luke's journey so meaningful to me, it was Luke choosing to be better than Anakin, to make the right choices his father never did. I never really imagined particular character traits for Anakin as I don't feel like we really had much information in the OT to support anything, other than he followed Obi-Wan on a crusade and he seemed to follow adventure.

wobbits and Billy Budd like this.
  21. -NaTaLie-

Nov 5, 2001
    Yoda does say Luke's father was powerful. Both Jedi and the dark lords want Luke so clearly Skywalkers are above average even without the prophecies and midichlorians.

22. Lobot's Wig

Dec 13, 2020
    What I meant by that is that I never really envisaged Anakin being as predominant has he was from being a child and treated as specially as he was. I think I kind of imagined a group of Jedi Knights with Anakin showing exceptional promise but really just "one of the gang" until he drifts away from them and gets pulled in by the Dark Side. Does that make sense?

The closest analogy I can think of is the knights in the movie First Knight, in terms of the idea that they would all dress the same and be a kind of brotherhood, with Anakin as the Lancelot figure, the highly skilled one who starts off being well-meaning but is ultimately the reason it all goes wrong.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 13, 2021
  23. -NaTaLie-

Nov 5, 2001
    @Lobot's Wig I see your point. I certainly didn't expect him to be a child of prophecy (nor did anyone I'm sure). However, the OT hints at his power as an adult knight. Otherwise, how could he kills other Jedi?

Billy Budd and Lobot's Wig like this.
  24. Lobot's Wig

Dec 13, 2020
    I would have been cool with that, his power kind of becoming more noticeable as an adult.

Billy Budd likes this.
  25. mtt02263

mtt02263 Jedi Master star 2

Oct 29, 2020
    Obi-Wan mentions meeting him and feeling how strong the Force was in him and Yoda specifically tells Luke that he was a powerful Jedi, no faint praise coming from Yoda. The OT obviously wasn't made with the Chosen One prophecy in place yet, but Luke states that the Force is strong in his family, so even without the prophecy, the Skywalkers were always clearly a gifted lineage. Palpatine tells Vader that if Luke is fully trained he'll have the power to destroy both Sith Lords.