main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

How do i do the boning on a corset

Discussion in 'Costuming and Props' started by PADME4ANAKIN, Jan 17, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PADME4ANAKIN

PADME4ANAKIN Jedi Youngling

Jan 9, 2006
    Hi guys i know i might sound stupid but how do you bone a corset i have all he materials to do the padme picnic dress but havnt got a clue how and when to do the boning. Please help.

2. Benae_Quee

Benae_Quee Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 15, 2002
    Check out Jayne's website on corsetry - she did an amazing job with the details and history of corsets :)

Kay_Dee, Obi-Dawn Kenobi, and PadawansGuide, have great pages on the Picnic dress
    http://kay-dee.net/cont.htm
    http://www.geocities.com/floofywankenobi/
    http://padawansguide.com/flowered.shtml

3. Jayne

Jayne Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 16, 2002
    Thanks, Benae_Quee, for the great compliment! I try to make things useful, even if I'm not checking up here as much as I should [face_blush].

My website is at www.costumebeginner.com, I don't think it was linked earlier.

Mainly for the picnic dress, the best arrangement of boning is all vertical, one along each seam line. I like the 1/2" steels for these types. Some people swear by the spiral steel, I prefer the straight spring steels myself. In order of making, make your base layer, put boning channels in, make your embroidered top layer, make a lining if you want it, bone the base layer, then layer the layers and either bind the top and bottom with bias tape or fold over the layers into a hem and topstitch. Just be sure the bones are sewn into the base layer. Then add the grommets or eyelets and lace. There are many other ways of making a corset, but this is probably going to be the easiest for this corset because of all the embroidery work on the front.

Hope it helped, sorry I was so late in answering!

4. Benae_Quee

Benae_Quee Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 15, 2002
    Darn it, the post ate the link, it was linked right under the sentence explaining your site :(. I've used your site to help me with a few corsets the and the boning on my wedding dress :).

5. Jayne

Jayne Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 16, 2002
    I'm glad I could help :D Too many people are afraid of corsets, and they're really not that scary.

6. PADME4ANAKIN

PADME4ANAKIN Jedi Youngling

Jan 9, 2006
    Thanks for the advice on jaynes website just looked on and its great before i started doing the costume i decided to do some practice ones with the boning. I have to admit as a beginner the corset part of the picnic dress did scare me[face_worried] but now ive done it a few times iam actually gettin comftable with it cant wait to get started properly with my fancy fabric but its better to get the practice in first.Iam starting to become a perfectionist aswell. Thanks you guys for helping me to get started its cool being able to ask questions when you have problems.

YOU GUYS ARE ACE=D=

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.