main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Toronto How do they understand?

Discussion in 'Canada Discussion Boards' started by Master_Siphadius, May 23, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Master_Siphadius

Master_Siphadius Jedi Youngling star 1

May 19, 2002
    Here's one thats needled me for sometime.
    How in the heck does everyone understand what everyone else is saying?

( Ok maybe not everyone ) example, Han,luke,leia they all pretty well seem to know what chewbbaca is saying all the time. Same with other alien races.Han seems to know Greedo's lingo very well ( doesn't speak it, but understands it.)

I mean do they go to Galactic University to learn the lingo of the galaxy?(I can just imagine the years of university it would take to learn Wookieneese.)what the heck is threepio good for then. Now I'm not complaining mind you, I think is't quite cool that everybody knows the galactic language,But is it ever explained anywhere?

2. Woofer

Woofer Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 27, 2001
    Don't be silly!!

Haven't you noticed, everytime an alien speaks, there are these honking big subtitles underneath!! They just read those!!!!

3. Master_Siphadius

May 19, 2002
    LOL!

Let me see if I can think of how many times han luke or whoever understands the lingo.

Ok luke knows hutt,and twilekian.Lando knows sullustian (i for the life of me had know idea what Nien Numb was saying but lando was a pro.)and they ( the aliens) likwise knew ( with the exception of jabba )english as well.

Anyone else think of an example?

4. Dain_Bramage

Dain_Bramage Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 21, 2002
    I'd love to learn the Beep language. In other words, R2 droid language.

5. Elewyn

Elewyn Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 23, 2002

Did someone say r2d2? :) r2 speaks in binary thus to speak it you would probably have to hook yourself up to a computer. However good news to all those who want to speak the languages! Ben Burtt, sound editor for all the SW movies, wrote a book "The Star Wars Galactic Phrase Book adn Travl Guide" along with Huttese, Wookie, Jawanese, Bocci, and others it tells how to understand R2D2's "beep" speech as Luke learned to do. :)

This book should be availiable most places. I should know!

6. Master_Siphadius

May 19, 2002
    What I thought was funny was that Han could understand that little goggle droid in ESB

Goggle droid: "beep-zubba-zubba-weboop."
    Han: "There's got to be a reason for it check it out at the other end, wait a minute."

7. Cristalia

Cristalia Jedi Youngling star 3

May 15, 2000
    I loved how "Yotto!" translates both into "fifty thousand" and "no less". That's a linguistic feat...

Cris~

8. Kenobi2

Kenobi2 Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 30, 2000
    Maybe is Yatto yotto or sum such.

I find basic droid understandable, actually, quite hilarious if you make up your own R2 responses to 3PO!

Tweetle beep beep, whistle, toot whistle whistle toot!

9. Darth_Digital

Darth_Digital Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 29, 2001
    In the case of droids, some have translator readout screens on their chest.

As for Chewie, only Han could understand him, and that took time. Lando too, cause like Han they were galactic fringers and travelled alot.

As for Luke and Leia, it was either a case of 3-P0 or charades.

Young Anakin understands Dug and Toydarian, cause its a root language liked to Huttese.

Leia spoke Ubese to Jabba since her helmet acted as a scrambler.

Han understood Rodian (Greedo) cause again, its all down to his history as a fringer.

Palpatines aide had his speech translated on his desk.

All of these can easily be explained.

And keep in mind this is a galaxy at large; They cross planets as we do cities...

And this society has existed for over 40,000 years by their calendar.

Just think of the culutural mish mash...

10. prof_frink

prof_frink Jedi Grand Master star 3

Feb 1, 1999
    I thought the rodians were actually speaking huttese?

As well as Watto and Sebulba - I thought I heard Ben Burtt say that was all huttese...

11. custom_droid

custom_droid Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 25, 2002
    when i saw ben burtt at celebrationII he mentioned that he DID plan out what r2 was saying and that george hadn't really given him much direction....he said that sometimes onset they let their imaginations run a bit wild and r2 got a little rude......

if you want to imagine difficult...
    at the same session don bies did a Q&A with R2 and anthony daniels in the audience....the audience member asked a question then R2 responded....anthony had to "translate" R2's comment and create somethign funny on the spot...he did it for like 20 questions in a row...it was like watching two improv actors working together.....

12. Adam-the-Indifferent

Adam-the-Indifferent Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 30, 2000
    I was probably at both panels, and definitely agree with the improv comments. That was awesome!!

Ben Burtt is the coolest!

I believe he said that when he began doing the sounds for R2, he would write out the lines of dialogue he thought R2 would be saying - the script only had things like: "R2 beeps in response" or some such. Burtt would use the intonations and the sounds generated by the dialogue to give a kind of grounding or sense of what he could be saying. He also based it on how babies communicate so much with just ga-ga's and goo-goo's.

At least that's how I remember him saying it.

13. Mori_Fett

Mori_Fett Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 27, 2001
    English (basic) everyone knows so that's a given.

But I mean because characters know a language doesn't mean they have to reply back in that language.

I know Romanian but I answer my mom (when she speaks Romanian) back in English because it comes more naturally.

14. Jedi_Kat

Jedi_Kat Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 6, 2002
    Maybe everyone has their very own Babel fish... :D

15. Elewyn

Elewyn Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 23, 2002

Goober fish? where?? big goober fish! HUGEO THING! ohhhhh sorry i had on my gungan universal translator ;)

16. Master_Siphadius

May 19, 2002
    Bo-shudda.(thats Jabba )
    Diwanna-wanga. (thats Bib fortuna)
    yuba-yabayabayabaya. (Nien Numb)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.