1. Welcome, Guest

Upcoming events: Supanova: Sydney (17th-19th June), Perth (24th-26th June)

Oz Comic Con: Melbourne (11th-12th June), Sydney (10th-11th September)

Oceania How do you all talk?

Discussion in 'Oceania Discussion Boards' started by theScreenwriter, Sep 29, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. theScreenwriter Jedi Youngling

Great stuff guys! Keep it coming if you have more. :)

One question:

Is "bloody" a curse word like we have "damn" or something of that nature, that some people actually consider a bad word, or is it more of the nature of darn, that even young kids can say? I mean, does society frown up a word liek that, kind of like the US does (not so much anymore). I'd just like to understand the context a bit more. Thanks!
  2. Jayd Jedi Youngling

star 3
    Little kids are generally yelled at for saying bloody and damn. They're about on the same level here. One difference - it's always bloody *something*. You can't just say 'bloody!'. Because you're a dumbass if you do. :)
  3. soneil Jedi Padawan

star 4
    Substitute curses are sometimes heard as well. Eg. Some people say Darn instead of damn. Some people down here alsoe say things like bloomin' instead of bloody.
    I guess a word like bloody is considered to be unpleasant but on a much lower level than something like the 's' word.
  4. Protege-of-Thrawn Manager Emeritus

star 6
    In defence of "She'll be right." it may very well be a Victoria thing, cos I'm a Vic and everyone i know and I all use this 'common phrase.

What I think we must keep in mind if we are to actually help our foreign friend (as opposed to contridicting each other and sending the poor guy into a rabid state of mental agony and confusion) is that only the traditional slang that is still in use should be used.

Much slang heard to day is a 'flavour of the month' thing, with new slang replacing old constantly.
    I know that Rove has instituted a flurry of 'What The?"'s and the extended 'What The (place random word here)?''s in Victoria and possibly elsewhere, but will such slang become part of the universal used Australian slang? No. it will probably not be used as often if at all within 6 months.

Such sayings as "Bloody ____" will be around forever. so lets stick to 'em.

Another tip that may arise from that babble just above of mine. If you have multiple characters have them use different Aussie slang, or perhaps individual phrases borrowed from different regions of Oz.
    As you may notice we all have very personal views and uses for differing slang.

Also, different class of citizenry use differing amounts of slang. upper class sound just like accented americans, but the working class (Yobbo's) use it constantly (when their not swearing!)

A good movie to catch for such an example is CHOPPER. The title character is portrayed beautifully by Eric Bana and really reflects the speech of the working class. For the sort of effect your looking for I would label the movie a MUST SEE!

In summation, "Have a good one, Mate. I'll see ya when I see ya. Oh, and don't bloody screw around with Aussie Slang, or I'll kick ya from here to kingdom kum!"
  5. soneil Jedi Padawan

star 4
    Only one thing I'll disagree with there. Most upper class I know speak more like British that Americans. Some actually see too many american influences in one's language, as a trait of some uneducated lower class type who watches nothing but US soapies & sitcoms.
  6. Zyphyr Jedi Youngling

star 3
    Also, I've noticed that older Australians (40 +) use more aussie slang than younger Aussies. Especially in the country. Teenagers mainly use whatever phrases are currently in vogue in the movies (ie. young boys are more likely to refer to each other as 'dude' than 'mate').
  7. Silmarillion Manager Emerita/Ex RSA

star 6
    You just watch where that "bloody" conversation goes, eh? ;)
  8. Ki-Bara-Mundi Jedi Master

star 6
    I feel like saying Chopper quotes but we're in a PG forum! :(
  9. theScreenwriter Jedi Youngling

Great.

Another question:

Any slang for a swimming pool? Ever called a billabong?

Thanks!
  10. Kahlan72 Jedi Padawan

star 4
    LOL..no a billabong is a natural water formation. We just call it a pool like the rest of the world I think. :)
  11. Humble extra Jedi Youngling

star 5
    chopper is one funny movie..........the other day i had a small seminar/lecture, and a builder on the building site outside the windows of the room started ripping out the "hello, hello" line, damm it was funny, the whole class just went silent for about a minute listening to this guy

...........................soenil and someothers i agree with, we don't think we sound different, its pretty common to assume that you speak "normally", but in my experience, when talking to aussies and americans in person there are substantial differences, which you dont pick up from watching tv, where accents are usually very neutral forms of that dialect, alf being a notable exception................and often its not the actual words that differ, its more the way in which you phrase sentences, the context you use words in, tone of inflection and such and such................for example in nz it is quite common among people of my generation to add "eh" to the end of a sentence, sort of in a questioning tone, whether it makes sense or not

oh, and sweet is definately a nz slang word too, has been common among people i know for about 5 or more years..............guess it depends on how you say it...........short or drawn out, like wazzup, i always used to say that, stupid though it was, then the bud ad/scary movie connection came out here, now when ever i use it its almost guaranteed some ****** will try the routine

//boots slang
  12. Humble extra Jedi Youngling

star 5
    oh, interesting fact, well at least i thought it was interesting, i was doing an anthropology paper this semester, we studied a little bit of language comparisons............anyway, they do this test, where you get a group of people, with different accents (usually differant countries)or a very talented mimic to recite the same phrase, using the same intonation and such then get a group of people to individually rate their impressions of the person or the accent spoken , ie, prestige, social position etc...

american groups, followed by british groups and then australian groups usually rate their general accent type the most prestigious, or at least near the top but nz groups do not, they rate their accent lowest on a prestige rankingm usually it goes, BBC English, WASP american (i think, maybe its mid atlantic, i am not too sure), then Australian....generally australian and nz accents rate lowest accross the groups and BBC english is usually either 1st or 2nd...........these accent types are of course not labelled, the listeners have to identify them themselves
  13. TheOzhaggis Jedi Master

star 5

It's a bit late, but I have to disagree with you Jayd - in my experience, females use slang and swear just as much if not more than males.

Especially when you add alcohol.

14. Jayd Jedi Youngling

star 3
    Fair enough.

Oh hey that's another thing we say! :)
  15. soneil Jedi Padawan

star 4
    Just a comment about NZ accents. To us, there's a considerable difference between the way people in NZ and people in Aust talk, but people from other countries often find it hard to tell the difference. A bit like the way Australians often find it hard to tell the difference between a US accent and a Canadian accent.
  16. Humble extra Jedi Youngling

star 5
    yeah, although most aussies i meet do not sound as bad as the legue commentators........
  17. kingjim Jedi Youngling

star 1
    A couple of differences between Australia and America.
    1. If you ask for chips in Australia, you get served hot chips. If you ask for chips in America, you get Smiths chips. You have to order French fries to be served hot chips in America.

2. In America you put ketchup on selected hot food. In Australia you put tomato sauce on selected hot food. It's the same thing. Australians are usually more frank when they name something. If you ask for ketchup in Australia the person behind the counter might not know what you're talking about.

3. Australian cars have a windscreen in front of the driver and passenger in a car. In America you have a windshield.
  18. R2-Q5 Jedi Youngling

star 1
    Watching all these movies with the token Aussie character in is rather amusing... I can never work out if the accent is being put on or if it's real... Tis rather amusing! :)

Oh, and no-one said the good ol' "throw another snag on the barbie" (or whatever it is) one!
  19. maestrino Jedi Master

star 4
    I think that also what's just as important as what we do say is what we don't. I'm sure there's stacks of American phrases and words that we'd all feel like knobs using... Can't think of any offhand though...
  20. Jayd Jedi Youngling

star 3
    Yo wassup dude! Y'all down wit that??

That is a really bad imitation I know but you get my drift. Homies suck. I would never be caught dead using that kind of speak.
  21. soneil Jedi Padawan

star 4
    When we're watching a sporting team we don't talk about rooting (at least not in polite company).
  22. Uruk-hai Jedi Youngling

star 5
    My friends mustn't be too polite then, coz that's all we talk about.
  23. TheOzhaggis Jedi Master

star 5

Um, ketchup isn't an americanism. it's a type of sauce. there's tomato sauce, tomato ketchup, bbq sauce, etc.

i used to have ketchup all the time. i have some in cupboard right now.

sure, most people still call it sauce, but I don't think that make it an americanism, no?

24. Sith_Lord_Dore Jedi Youngling

star 1
    iam not sure about this but when something goes wrong i always say "bugger" it got a different meaning over here i think.
  25. darthmalt16 Jedi Padawan

star 4
    And they say Americans are backward at leat especially in the south we keep sayings around for a while and we mean what we say assuming that is you can understand us.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.