main
side
curve
  1. Welcome, Guest

Upcoming events:

Star Wars: Andor - Disney + - 21st September

2. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Oceania How do you all talk?

Discussion in 'Oceania Discussion Boards' started by theScreenwriter, Sep 29, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. imzadi

imzadi Jedi Master star 4

Sep 19, 2000
    I was asked by an American friend to explain "Up yourself", so I think that might be australian slang. I'll give an example of the usage.

"You are so up yourself." Meaning: "You are so conceited."

Also, I've heard that Australians generally speak faster than the Brittish people or Americans. Oh, another one, sometimes for Brittish people, Australians use the term "Poms".

1 Brittish person is a Pom or a Pommy.
    2 or more Brittish people are Poms or Pommies. (I apologise if anyone finds this offensive).

Also, though this is less common (at least I think so), "Bright eyed and bushy tailed" is an australian phrase, I think. It's used when you're wide awake and alert (it's a description of a nocternal animal).

2. Kehleyr

Kehleyr Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 22, 2001
    mebbe screenie needs to go to Tazzy or to Sheepland ;)

3. LittleJedi

LittleJedi Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 4, 2001
    I think here in Oz, swear words have lost a lot of their effect. My teachers don't even flinch if you say $h!t, and i use 'bugger' all the time. (Man, i loved those bugger ads.... LOL)

I think Ketchup and Tomato Sauce are slightly different. I think one has vinegar and the other doesn't. Oh well.

And i think we do have rather strong accents - we just don't notice them. It's only when you compare them to other accents that you realise...

Other 'slang' my frinds and i use:
    Down south - any state other than the NT (where i live)
    Stuff it - who cares?
    Screw this - stuff it (see above)

I'll write more later, methinks.

-Little Aussie Jedi-
    MTFBWY

4. soneil

soneil Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 30, 2000
    Here in WA, we often refer to the rest of the country as the eastern states. Sometimes that excludes SA and NT though since they're not all the way to the east.

5. Sith-Gecko

Sith-Gecko Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 26, 2001
    Mike Myers was extremely excited when he was on The Panel and found out he could say "bugger" on TV here. He was saying it every few seconds. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.