main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

How do YOU choose the names of your characters?

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Fremen, Oct 1, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fremen

Fremen Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 10, 2001
    I am writing a story and would like to know how other people choose names or make up names for their characters which do not appear in the books.

Fremen

2. Ginger_Jedi

Ginger_Jedi Jedi Knight star 6

Jun 4, 2001
    Well, I sometimes take names of friends or family memebers and mix them up a bit.

Other times they simply appear in my head after a bit of word play :)

3. Julie

Julie Moderator Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 1, 1998
  4. Fremen

Fremen Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 10, 2001
    Thank you BOTH of you.

Kyle

5. Daughter_Of_TheForce

Daughter_Of_TheForce Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 1, 2001
    I've got a couple of baby name books I like to go through for names. Also, I find interesting names from the things I read, what's on TV or radio. I pick them for how they sound, sometimes by their meaning.

The name has to feel as if it belongs to that character, if that makes any sense. When I say it and when I use it, it should feel right. I just know when I pick the right one.

6. Connemara

Connemara Jedi Knight star 6

Nov 18, 2000
    Well, I have a sort of a system. If the character I am using is modelled after someone I know, I take their name, and reverse it, or hack off part of it, or switch it around.

If the character is compltly original, I will make a completly original name, usually by closing my eyes, and trying to SEE what the character should sound like. Then I will test things out. Like for my character Jarus Rodak, I thoght this way...

"Let's see ...Jeru....no...Jarik...no...Jerus...nope ...Jarus!!"

And for the last name, I closed my eyes, typed random keys, opened my eyes, and used the name closest to what I had written that made sense.

:)

7. Jane Jinn

Jane Jinn Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 12, 2000
    I have lots of methods. Sometimes I cull National Geographic for words from an obscure African langauge, such as "Enkerra". Sometimes I go through my old Latin dictionary, find a word-stem that sounds good, then make a few changes to the endings if needed, coming up with "Romedon Tenax" or "Quilibet". My Anglo-Saxon glossary is good for that kind of thing, too. "Laisian Betwioh" came from there. A list of all the Egyptian pharaohs yielded up "Nektanebos" and "Radjedef". A map of ancient Mayan or Aztek cities helped me find "Hachas Tlatilco". And when I get really desperate, I look at words and take a few letters from one word and join it to a few letters of another word. "Par'wat" for instance, came from the books on my desk, which at that moment just happened to be Jurassic PARk and one by Jude WATson. Or Fidence, which comes from "confidence".

8. Arabwel

Arabwel Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 20, 2001
    1: Just type up random letters ex. jalid

2: Search for patterns already in use ex. Ilen Sandsifter (This is what Mike Stackpole does. I asked him once.)

3: Take a song lyric or something and use it modified, based on the sound of words ex. "Give it to me baby" = Gimitu Mibae

4: If it's OO (Original Offspring), take parts of people's names, add a few letters and mix, ex: Thranne (Thrawn/Isard)

5: Take a word in your native language and simply use it, or some good-sounding words in some other language ex. Kivi Naru (Stone String in Finnish)

6: Just pick something that sounds nice ex, "Lae.. Laea.. Laa..." like someone already said.

I'ven't used any of those examples. I just made them up using my normal methods.

Ara
    (Sith Chick, StaWarsChick and lots of things :) )

9. LordMoltar

LordMoltar Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 25, 2001
    I either simply pick the name from my imagination, or I refer to mytholgical and/or foreign language dictionaries for name ideas. (You'd be surprised how effective the latter option can be. My Japanese dictionary is a most helpful tool at times.)

10. ValedaKor

ValedaKor Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 25, 2000
    I just do that 'ol imagination thing.

Valeda Kor, Jedi Knight
    Leparm Forb, Jedi apprentice
    Tondalla Plesu, Jedi Master (called Tondy for short)
    Revin Songlifter - Republic "executioner"

All characters in my stories. The names just come to me, and I decide if I like 'em or not.

11. Senator_Elegos_A-Kla

Senator_Elegos_A-Kla Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 18, 2001
    I normally follow the nameing conventions that you find in the EU, like: Sandskimmer/Skywalker/Darklighter for Tatooine humans, Sei'lar/Fey'lya/Morv'yal/Kre'fey/A'kla etc. for Bothan & Caamasi names - These are simple since they are clan based names.

As for first names I just think them up :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.