main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

How do you classify the terms Geek, Dork, and Nerd?

Discussion in 'Archive: Your Jedi Council Community' started by sacul-1138, Jan 22, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sacul-1138

sacul-1138 Jedi Youngling star 5

Nov 9, 2000
    To me:

A Geek: Is the average guy (average intelligence, friends...etc) with heavy interests in things outside the "Norm"

A Dork: Not too bright has alot of strange ideas of the world and quotes Dr Who. Has friends but they are all dorks too.

Nerds: Super Smart, few friends, loves to qoute The holy Grail and will more than likely make more money than I'll ever see.

And which one are you? (if any)

I'm a geek.

Now how do you clasify those groups?

2. Liz Skywalker

Liz Skywalker Ex-Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 13, 2000
    yes.

but I prefer nerd or geek. dork is too...dorky. [face_plain]

3. Jedi_Tabee

Jedi_Tabee Jedi Knight star 5

Sep 6, 2001
    I like to be called freak or weirdo. It's more fun :)

4. Bossk_BountyHunter

Bossk_BountyHunter Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 3, 2002
    I think Geek is more for sci-fi/fantasy lovers.I've seen people in movies and television be called that for liking those genres.

I would be a Geek.I like to Geek it up wherever I go.

5. obi-wannabe1

obi-wannabe1 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 11, 2001
    this is an old thread topic.

(btw, you forgot dweeb)

6. sacul-1138

sacul-1138 Jedi Youngling star 5

Nov 9, 2000
    It's never been proven to me that dweebs are real....and as far as I can tell the ones I saw were Dorks in costumes.

7. TheDarth

TheDarth Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 30, 2001
    im neither, believe it or not im cool (popular at school to people who dont understand the meaning) and at the same time i like SW... its not considered geeky...
    then whats it called?
    a cool SW fan? hewp

8. Crimson

Crimson Jedi Master star 4

Jan 18, 2002
    Dweebs are figments of the imagination.

Geek: A usually normal person who has an impeckable knowledge of one or many things that could be considered "geeky", ie, TV, music, STAR WARS

Dork: Anyone who intentionally acts like an idiot just to get laughs.

Nerd: Computer Programmers who wear glasses, still live off their parents, and can easily go through a 12 hour computer session without getting up.

9. Obi-Zahn Kenobi

Obi-Zahn Kenobi Force Ghost star 7

Aug 23, 1999
    Geek: Someone obsessed with something.

Dork: Vulgar sla--sorry.

NErd.: ME.

10. TheDarth

TheDarth Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 30, 2001
    hmm...
    Geeks: Not necicarily smart but study all the time, and are very good with computers and stuff

Dorks: Not very smart, mostly stupid, annoying, dont care about their looks and are ussually smelly and 'scruffy lookin' in a bad way...

Nerds: extremly smart, memorize books by heart and keep giving 'logical explanations' to everything...

Dweebs: Small, skinny, and cant stand up for themselfs, ussually have some speech dissorder like stuttering, these creatures are ussually the victims of bullys

11. That_Flashing

That_Flashing Jedi Master star 5

Aug 22, 2000
    Personally I think Geek and Nerd have their own definition where as Dork is completely different.

If you're a Geek or a Nerd you tend to study more than others, your grades in school are/were better than everyone elses. And you were always the one everyone copied off of.

But being a Dork is different. You can be cool and still act like a dork. My neighbor isn't a Nerd or a Geek but she acts like a Dork all the time. Dorks just act funny or silly around their closest friends.

12. Emuboy

Emuboy Jedi Knight star 5

Nov 7, 1999
    Geek - Perfectly socially functional, but only within their own sub-culture.

Dork - Socially Awkward.

Nerds - Intelligent to the point that they cannot function in society.

13. Bossk_BountyHunter

Bossk_BountyHunter Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 3, 2002
    Dweebs like to wear ripped up jogging pants!

14. Shi-Bandarr

Shi-Bandarr Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 1, 2000
    Nerd= A person that immerses themselves in technology to make movies that make tons of money and not one critic can stand.

Geek= One who loves said movies.

Dork= One who makes fun and laughs at said movies and its geek fanbase.

:p

15. Zephyr Xux

Zephyr Xux Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 14, 1999
    I'm a dork, but I'm sexy-looking so it's okay. [face_mischief]

16. womberty

womberty Jedi Master star 4

Jan 21, 2002
    Geek: Has an above average interest in a particular subject, like Star Wars. Arrogant geeks flaunt it (seen the "Beat the Geeks" show on Comedy Central?), while your average everyday geeks only show their geeky side when necessary (for example, to defend their title as resident Star Wars expert when challenged by the other geeks or, more annoyingly, dorks).

Dork: Has just enough knowledge about a particular subject, like Star Wars (or worse, Star Trek) to be annoying about it. Socially inept, the dork will attempt to interest you with a demonstration of his knowledge of the Klingon language and may even show up on a normal day dressed in authentic Klingon garb. (I once knew a guy who did this. He could only have been labeled as "dork".)
    While a geek only showcases his/her knowledge in the appropriately geeky arena, the dork wants to share with everybody, rendering him/her the most annoying of the three.

Nerd: Sets himself/herself apart from "normal" people, usually by demonstrating above average intelligence and interests more towards the educational rather than the entertaining. One could be labeled as a nerd simply by feigning higher intelligence; I've seen it done before.

I consider myself somewhere between geek and nerd. I think I'm leaning toward geek...

17. Ardens_Furore

Ardens_Furore Jedi Padawan star 4

May 14, 2001
    I group all these terms as one thing: idiotic contrivances of popular culture. It is a way to separate humans into groups, leading to the persecution of certain groups.

18. womberty

womberty Jedi Master star 4

Jan 21, 2002
    Yeah, but dorks ask for it :p

19. Obi-Zahn Kenobi

Aug 23, 1999
    You know what? Moderate, Conservative, and Liberal are divisions of people made to persecute them! :eek:

Apparently only Moderates and liberals are popular.

Maybe we should get rid of society then we'd have no problems.

20. Kendu_Knight

Kendu_Knight Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 2, 2001
    Going by sacul's classifications, I am a geek. My best friend is a dork. My girlfriend is cool (can you believe it? ;)).

21. Obi-Zahn Kenobi

Aug 23, 1999
    Judging fro your classifications I am a nerd/dork.

Thank you!

22. AdmiralZaarin

AdmiralZaarin Jedi Knight star 5

Jul 8, 2001
    Admins, would I be allowed to say what a dork technically is?

23. That_Wascally_Droid

That_Wascally_Droid Jedi Knight star 6

Jul 29, 2001
    Crimson nailed it.
    What am I? I can be a dork, but otherwise none of the above I don't think.

24. Gandalf the Grey

Gandalf the Grey Jedi Knight star 6

May 14, 2000
    Bloody peasant.

25. TheEmperorsHand

TheEmperorsHand Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 27, 2000
    i don't think that 'dork' is how you all call it :p my friend and i jokingly call each other dorks all the time... i think its funny too ;) i have no problem with being a dork. :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.