"How do you decide which sculpts get rehashed/repackaged?"

Discussion in 'Collecting' started by SSIntimidator, Jul 17, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Moderators: CrazyMike, LAJ_FETT
  1. SSIntimidator Jedi Master

star 4
    HASBRO
    We make our choices for refreshed/repackaged figures based on demand for that character, quality of the original figure (for instance, if the aesthetics of the character still work for a re-release), and the availability and quality of the tooling.

Don't they mean 'we look at which figure we have a warehouse full of, put him in a new package and try to sell him to you all over again. But look, it's a cool new package.'
  2. IncomT65 Jedi Master

star 4
    Yeah, I read some of those Q&A sessions on TheJawa, GalacticHunter and Yakface, and I think the same as you do.
  3. SSIntimidator Jedi Master

star 4
    I'm pretty tired of hasbro's excuse filled answers on some of them. Like the whole thing when people ask why don't you just make EVERY figure articulate. "Oh it's too much money, it depends on the figure and their purpose, blah blah blah."

The purpose of EVERY figure is to be played with so putting out figures with limited or no articulation is pointless. Putting out a SA clone and then handing us the horribly articulated clone gunner makes no sense. Seems to me it would be cheaper to have one mold of every clone rather than have three or four different forms of arm movement and such.

Hasbro never had a problem with making sure every GI Joe figure could move.
  4. DarthZemog Jedi Master

star 4
    You would think one of the brainacs over at Hasbro would figure out, "Hey, maybe we should package 2 or 3 per box with Commander Cody, a figure people might really want and maybe 1 per box for Lushros Dofine?!" Then maybe there wouldn't be racks and racks of him everywhere I go! During the ROTS wave, I could have built a grand army of either Bail Organa, Mon Mothma or Niemodian Warriors, there were so many sitting on rack after rack!

It's really just a vicious cycle though. They put it out, we all buy it, even if it's just in a new package with a stupid mini holo figure! We're slaves to the short attention span Hasbro Marketing team! By the time this newest redesigned package line is in full swing, they'll unleash another "new" look that we'll all clamor for! I don't know how many more years I have in me with this stuff. I'm already cherry picking these new sets of figures.

~DZ
  5. SSIntimidator Jedi Master

star 4
    No offense man, but speak for yourself. I got the figures I want. The only thing I buy is clones, and I have plenty of them right now until the airborne trooper comes out.

The people who have their walls covered with every single figure no matter how useless it is, how many other times you've bought it, those are the people who I think are making it a pain for others. Hasbro sees that 'hey, we made uncredited guy #4 who was on screen for a tenth of a second and he sold out like crazy maybe we should make that useless merchant from Episode 1. What's that? People are begging for the airborne trooper, or Neyo or a Biker Scout from Ep3, naw people don't want those.'

Seriously, can someone help me understand the just because it says Star Wars on the box you have to buy it mentality. No matter how pointless the figure, game, vehicle, transformer, shirt, hat whatever it is actually is.
  6. DarthZemog Jedi Master

star 4
    I'll admit it, I bought the entire ROTS line. Being it was the last film, I wanted the entire run for this film and not wanting holes or gaps in the line I had to buy all the peg warmers at least once. I don't think me or any other person who bought a Bail Organa or Mon Mothma figure is perpetuating the problem with Hasbro making these lousy peg warmer figures though. I also can't see them saying Bail or Mon Mothma was a success since I could have made clone armies of both figures very easily, there were so many left on the pegs.

It seems there will always be peg warmer figures, like the Merchant from TPM or the up and coming Lava Minor. I would just like it if Hasbro would limit the numbers they put into the boxes of these and up the number on the figures that people would want like the Clones! I also don't understand why they choose to make these figures and pass on Neyo and Galactic Marines! It makes no sense.

~DZ
  7. JEDI_MISFIT138 Jedi Master

star 4
    They're doing the Galactic Marine early next year, but no word on Neyo yet. They better do a better job with the Marine than they have with Cody and Scorch, or it'll be the same problem all over again. It took me months to find Cody. Just last week I saw and bought only the second one I've ever seen, and Scorch I had to buy at a comic shop for $20. I have never seen him in a regular store.
  8. Darth_Nefar Jedi Knight

star 1
    I think collectors are a little hard on Hasbro sometimes and I've noticed it a lot around here recently. As a community we whine far too much and do too little to stop the things we don't like. Personally, I think Hasbro should do something about their case-packs and obviously that is something we cannot control, but I'm really quite pleased with their figure and vehicle selections and I can't tell you how psyched I am about the second half of this year.

As much as we all may want clones, hell I'd like to see an entire mini-line devoted strictly to army builders, let's face it, each of us and our interests only make up a small part of what Hasbro takes into account. I think they by far overestimate their kid fanbase, as the younger kid's usually don't collect in off-years as their interest wanes and perhaps they should pay more attention to us, but even within the collecting the community there is a great deal of variety in taste.

When you look at the ROTS and Saga lines, there are actually A LOT of great new figures and vehicles available and I continue to get more than I actually expect. We all just need to realize that as a corporation, Hasbro is going to do some pure profit moves like the repacking of the majority of the ROTS line, when they should have just extended it another month or two in the first place, and the repainting or repack or figures they don't want to become a complete loss instead of a possible profit.

All we can do and what we need to do is let them know about how prevalent less popular figures become and ask them to work on their case-packs and that would really eliminate a lot of the tension most collectors feel. We can't stop them from repackaging figures they need to unload, but if they send them out in smaller numbers it would be beneficial to all of us. The bottom line is, we ARE making our voices heard and we SHOULD give Hasbro a lot of credit for fulfilling our wishes. We're all blinded by our lust for more, more, more, when we should just step back and look at all they great stuff they're delivering. Since ROTS began, it seems like they've released a thousand clone designs and are pretty quickly getting around to the last couple major ones. This is an exciting time for Star Wars collecting in the 3.75 in. line and I couldn't be happier with all the amazing things we're seeing and I think people need to quit focusing on the negative so much. I'm trying to build a more modernized Imperial army and Hasbro delivered Sandtroopers, AT-AT Drivers, Death Star Gunners, Scout Troopers and a couple Imperial Officer designs to use to customize. Even the snowtroopers were a good idea and at least that's something, despite the poor mold, it gave me galactic marine custom fodder. It's all perspective and personally, I'm pretty happy to have gotten what I have and so I'm not going to complain about not getting Stormtroopers, TIE pilots and AT-ST drivers right now. It'll come in time and there's no need to be so greedy right now.
  9. SSIntimidator Jedi Master

star 4
    It seems to me Hasbro could limit their cost by NOT producing figures like this. They bring up money in almost every QnA answer, well, stop making crap like this. Stop making the Force Battlers - I see them EVERYWHERE so something tells me nobody buys 'em. Stop making fifth rate characters nobody remembers, stop making vehicles that just sit there. Flodding the market is what drives your cost up because you end up with so much stuff left over. They need to LISTEN to people and produce what will sell.

EDIT: A perfect example of the articulation is the SA trooper, QD clone and the 501st. Three clones, all the exact same and yet each one has completely different articulation. Instead of using THREE different molds just use the one mold, either SA or QD and repaint the dang clones!!!!!!
  10. The_Mask Jedi Knight

star 2
    =D= Agreed! Thank you! I do still want them to make certain characters, but THANK YOU!

Yes! Thay are just clones after all. Only difference is in the armor markings.
  11. wise-bi-wan Jedi Knight

star 2
    "How do you decide which sculpts get rehashed/repackaged?"

Just ask Hasbro! A new package and a removable helmet![face_hypnotized] A new paint job from the comics.[face_hypnotized]

All rehashes, and the masses will be pulling out their credit cards and going further into debt.[face_frustrated]

12. FallenKnight88 Jedi Knight

star 3
    Not this collector.............I use cash. [face_money_eyes]
Moderators: CrazyMike, LAJ_FETT
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.