How do you define a Jedi

Discussion in 'Long Island, NY' started by GotMauled, Jun 27, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GotMauled Jedi Knight

star 1
    The topic of this post looks like an easy questions at first but let me explain my thought. We all know in the technical Lucus univers a Jedi is a formal member of a religiouse group that must pass tests and training. But i am thinking about the Mental attatude and life style. There are those who never passed the test and dont even live in the lucus univers but I would say can qualify as a jedi in mind and spirit. THink of Arigon. He could be jedi with no problem. All he needs is a light saber.

Do you agree with this and who else do you think could qualify for a member ship in the (lets call it) "Alternate Univers Jedi"
  2. MasterSifo-Dyas Jedi Master

star 4
    How about all the faces on our message board's side bar? Who would least likely fit as a jedi?

I could see Jack Sparrow sharing a drink with Obi-Wan at the bar. Marcus and Qui Gon could talk about their likes or dislikes of double bladed light sabers, Aragorn and Jack Sparrow could talk about how similar their sidekicks look to each other (its uncanny!). --Billy
  3. Moorglade Jedi Knight

star 2
    The sad thing is... I really had to think to figure out what Billy meant about Will and Legolas looking alike.
  4. TheBothanJedi Jedi Master

star 2
    The sad thing is... I really had to think to figure out what Billy meant about Will and Legolas looking alike.

That is sad...

I could see Tom Cruise's character in Last Samurai as a Jedi considering how the Samurai and the Jedi are similar in so many ways.
  5. cyranodb Force Ghost

star 4
    It's really no surprise about the Jedi and samurai being so similar since Lucas is such a big fan of the classic samurai movies. I got a boxed set of Kurosawa's movies and there are many elements of his movies that found itself in the original trilogy. This is beyond the two bickering dudes from The Hidden Fortress being used as models for R2 and 3PO. Like when Ben Kenobi takes someone arm off in the Cantina. That came straight out of Yojimbo and I was totally giggling like crazy because it was so funny to see that same movie element in Star Wars.

But this isn't about comparative film. I like to look at the Jedi Code to see what they're supposed to be about.

There is no emotion; there is peace.
    There is no ignorance; there is knowledge.
    There is no passion; there is serenity.
    There is no death; there is the Force.

Doesn't always work for me I can tell you. More than one day has passed that if I had a lightsaber that was more than just a glorified $300 glow-stick I'd have gone postal ages ago. ;)
  6. Moorglade Jedi Knight

star 2
    Eugenia and I figured out a long time ago that if we had working sabres it wouldn't be long before we cut something off. And all the doorways in our houses would have cuts in them.

And I still don't think Will and Legolas look at all alike. :)
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.