main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

How do you explain "Droid Amnesia"

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by echo8, May 19, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. echo8

echo8 Jedi Youngling

Jan 3, 2005
    I know that some people can get way too picky in finding plot holes and inconsistencies especially between the original trilogy and the prequel. However, anyone else find it rediculous that no one seems to remember artoo or C3PO? obi wan kenobi looks at artoo: "I don't seem to remember ever owning a droid"

2. swatoa

swatoa Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 25, 2005
    maybe obi wan has alzheimer's

3. Darth-Seldon

Darth-Seldon Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 17, 2003
    Obi-Wan wasn't telling the full truth. He never owned the droid, thus he never remembers it. He fails to mention to Luke that he does know the droid (hard to forget him.)

I'm going to bring the toaster analogy into it. If you owned a red toaster 30 years ago, and today you found one of the same model, only it was gray--would you assume it was the same one? No, there are millions of toasters of the same model.

In GFFA, droids are like toasters. They are all the same. That is the reason Owen doesn't assume that the new droid is 3P0.

-Seldon

4. Sanjiro

Sanjiro Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 26, 2001
    my brother pointed this out to me just an hour ago.

i think Ben doesn't recognize Artoo until much later on. go watch the scene when Leia's message is playing. and she says "i've hidden information vital blah blah inside this R2 unit." and they cut to a close-up of Ben as he looks over to r2. and i think this is the moment he puts it all together. it's cool.

5. darthYENIK

darthYENIK Jedi Master star 2

Oct 3, 2003
    Hate to break this up, and hurt some feelings, but. Lucas probably didn't think of having the Droids so involved in the prequels, 30 years ago, before star wars was a success.

6. Leia's Starboard Hair Bun

Leia's Starboard Hair Bun Jedi Master star 4

Apr 21, 1999
    Agreed.

Plus the whole toaster analogy doesn't really fly when they're doing things like, say, giving R2D2 a special award ceremony in TPM for saving the ship. The droids are sentient and interactive, people get upset when things happen to them (think about Luke's reaction when R2 gets eaten on Dagobah, or Leia's reaction when she sees Threepio has been blown to pieces on Bespin) and you'd like to think they'd be worth remembering. Plus, while I may not be as smart as a Jedi Knight or a...moisture farmer... but I actually do remember every toaster I've ever owned, to say nothing of more droid-equivalent things like cars.

The simplest explanation is the best: the droids ended up more intertwined in the Saga than originally intended. Or, as Tolkien famously said, the tale grew in the telling.

7. Chaotic_Serenity

Chaotic_Serenity Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 10, 2004
    Who in the saga would remember C3PO? Obi Wan never meets him anywhere in the PT, unless I'm mistaken, and they share more than a passing glance in ROTS. In TPM, he was on the ship through the Tatooine scenes, and in AOTC, Threepio went with Padme and Anakin. Padme eventually dies somewhere in the saga. Anakin becomes Vader, and he and Threepio never meet face to face in the OT. (Do NOT even try to say Bespin. Threepio is in mangled pieces on Chewbacca's back, and Vader is completely preoccupied with capturing Luke.) Bail Organa might have owned Threepio, but he sure as heck would've have told anyone about the connection, and he died in ANH.

As for R2...he and Obi Wan only ever interact under stressful circumstances where Obi's attention is elsewhere, and he sticks with Anakin most of the time.

8. zombie

zombie Jedi Master star 4

Aug 4, 1999
    Obi Wan probably does remember them but simply doesn't tell Luke. Obi Wan certainly seems at ease with R2 before Luke wakes up. I know its supposed to show that he's a simple, nice old man, but his dialog certainly takes on new context. R2 certainly remembers Obi Wan.

9. WLDB

WLDB Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 11, 2004
    20 years in the desert alone. I doubt under those conditions you would be thinking "Gee, I wonder what R2 is up too, oh there he is!"

10. ReturnOfTehPoof

ReturnOfTehPoof Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 28, 2005
    He says " I don't ever remember owning a droid" and that is true. He never owned R2. He didn't say anything more or less.

11. Jedi knight Pozzi

Jedi knight Pozzi Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 2, 2000
    `(Do NOT even try to say Bespin. Threepio is in mangled pieces on Chewbacca's back, and Vader is completely preoccupied with capturing Luke.)'

Didn't Vader stop Fett from shooting Chewy though? Maybe there's good in him? ;)

`He says " I don't ever remember owning a droid" and that is true. He never owned R2. He didn't say anything more or less.'

Yep. Luke just assumes Kenobi owned the droid.

12. VtotheAtotheDER

VtotheAtotheDER Jedi Youngling

May 20, 2005
    For plot holes ROTS has a HUGE one. Think about how is Padme going to be pregent when Obi-Wan and Anakin were fighting for 5 years on the Outer-Rim. Only way is if somebody else was hitting it....could not be Anakin kids.

13. Sanjiro

Mar 26, 2001
    they were only gone five MONTHS. not years.

14. VtotheAtotheDER

May 20, 2005
    Well from what I read they were gon 5 years.

15. Sanjiro

Mar 26, 2001
    well there's only three years between the stories. so it's wrong no matter how you look at it. but Padme has a line that says "You've been gone five months..." although this might have not made the movie. i'll just have to force myself to see it again. :p

16. VtotheAtotheDER

May 20, 2005
    Well still she put on weight rather quickly in the film...It is an awesome plot that he goes to the dark side to save Padme but in his turn he ends up killing her. Plus Padme is hot anyways.

17. schmintan

schmintan Jedi Youngling

May 21, 2005
    he does remember r2. i was supprised and excited, when you see obi looking at r2 in episode IV, he does say " i never recall owning a droid" ,yet his facial expression shows that he recognises the little droid. it just shows how well it all fits together now

18. VtotheAtotheDER

May 20, 2005
    he does say come here my little friend...I will not hurt you.

19. b-wingmasterburnz

b-wingmasterburnz Jedi Master star 3

May 27, 2004
    The stuff about Vader on Bespin, if you want any EU,

There was this one really good comic in Tales Vol. 2 when some Imperial officers bring Threepio's parts to Vader and say "What should be done with these, my lord?", then it flashes back to Ani building Threepio and Shmi says that Threepio is Ani's responsibility, and that he must build him well and take care of him. While the officers are waiting for an answer, Vader holds Threepio's head and sort of bangs his head against the wall with Threeio's head between Vader's and the wall. Sorry, that was tough to explain. Anyways, he tells the officers to give the parts to the Wookiee. There was a "What have I done?" feel to it, and it helped clear up just how Chewie got those parts.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.