main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

How do you explain to a theatre teacher how Anakin was born?

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Eme-ma_Himou, Apr 28, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Eme-ma_Himou

Eme-ma_Himou Jedi Master star 4

Aug 29, 2004
    I was in Study of Theater Arts today and we went off on some tangent: Obi-wan's relationship with Anakin and vice versa.

I discussed how Ben was both a father figure and a brother figure to Anakin. My teacher then agreed with me saying that Ben was a father figure because Anakin never knew his.

I then said, "There was no father..."

My teacher and another student laughed and said "Well, the sperm had to come from somewhere!"

And I was all, "No, really!"

"What, so he's like Jesus!?"

"Well, um, yeah..."

-------------------------

Any help on how to explain how he was conceived?

If not or this is a repeat, please lock.

2. Bacon164

Bacon164 Chosen One star 8

Mar 22, 2005
    Well, there's this energy field, that like surrounds and penetrates everything, and this energy field, with the help of these tiny numerous cells in Shmi's body conceived Anakin. The energy field was Anakin's father, and the energy field is the Force.

I hope I have been of some assistance. But, that's probably a bad way to explain it. :(

3. Plo_Koen

Plo_Koen Jedi Padawan star 4

May 23, 2001
    In other words: Anakin was conceived by the Force itself, so the Jesus analogy goes a long way.

4. Obi_Frans

Obi_Frans Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 31, 2003
    "The Force works in mysterious ways"

This is a fantasy/sci-fi-movie, that's the final explanation ;)

- O_F

5. Ker-Soth

Ker-Soth Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 24, 2004
    You could start with a long speech bout the Force NOT being like God as we know it, but rather a sentient all encopacing energy field that has two sides. The two sides got unbalanced and the Force needed a regulator to fix the damage, so it created Anakin who did not come to teach anything to the world or bring peace and stuff. (duh).

In short, the Force had a headache and needed an aspirin. The immaculate(sp?) conseption may appear to be similar to earthly religions, but it's just a pretty easy way to create "the most powerful Jedi/Sith ever". Vader's myth grew out of proportion since 1979 and that was GL's way to cope. That's my opinion anyway.

I hope that helped.

6. That_Wascally_Droid

That_Wascally_Droid Jedi Knight star 6

Jul 29, 2001
    Well, if the teacher is well-versed in mythology, it'll be easier to swallow. After you answer that, ask them how sound in space and lightsabers works ;)
    Anakin's conception can be explained within the set context of the film's mythology at least lol
    If they take offense to a Jesus comparison, TONs of mythological Gods also have immaculate conceptions. If they take offense to that, slowly back away, turn and run ;)

7. Ansketil

Ansketil Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 19, 2005
    Yep, like the premature little Bacchus was stored in Zeus's thigh until he was ready to be born... from the guy's thigh... ugh!

If it makes your teacher any happier just say that Shimi lied and actually DID have sex with this guy at the local cantina... if all else fails... ;-)
    Take a leaf out of the Supreme Chancellor's book. LIE.

8. Deeysew

Deeysew Jedi Youngling star 4

Mar 5, 2005
    Hold up. In TPM I distinctly heard that Anakin was concieved by the Midichlorians, not the force, thank you.

9. slimybug

slimybug Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 14, 2001
    Yes, it's an analogy to Jesus, not that Anakin is worshipped or anything, but just the whole prophecy and immaculate conception.

Anyway, my friend, explain it like this: People in the Star Wars Univers have these special organells in their cells called teh midichlorians that are like statellite dishes, emitting and recieving signals from The Force. They got the signal from the force to use it's energies to concieve a child. It was Shimi's own body that produced Anakin. Her cells fertalized eachother, using the energy from The Force that the michlorians revieved and used to well, concieve him. Therefore, she's kinda both his mother and his father. Yeah, I know; kinda yuck.

That's as good as I can put it.

Slimy!

10. D_Lowe

D_Lowe Jedi Knight star 6

Aug 15, 2002
    I then said, "There was no father..."
    My teacher and another student laughed and said "Well, the sperm had to come from somewhere!"
    And I was all, "No, really!"
    "What, so he's like Jesus!?"
    "Well, um, yeah..."

Explain to your teacher that Star Wars is mythology and it is common for characters in mythology not to have a father. Hercules is an example of that.

Anakin was conceived by the midi-chlorians, not a biological person.

11. Lank_Pavail

Lank_Pavail Jedi Knight star 7

Sep 26, 2002
    But Hercules had a daddy. Zeus, King of the Grek Gods.

12. Plo_Koen

May 23, 2001
    Correctomundo Deeysew (somehow I imagine you look just like your avatar ;)).

Qui-Gon says: "It's possible he was conceived by the midichlorians."

So we don't even know for sure (although Lucas has aknowledged it). Since Qui-Gon explains that midichlorians constantly tell us the will of the Force, I think it's safe to assume they were acting out the will of the Force in this case.

13. slimybug

slimybug Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 14, 2001
    But the midichlrians are what use The Force in our bodies. So if he was concieved by the force, he was concieved by the midis.

And D_Lowe, what the hell are you talking about? Heracles's father was Zeus.

Slimy!

14. JSnyder

JSnyder Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 25, 2005
    >> Any help on how to explain how he was conceived?<<

Ask to be given a demonstration on how THEY think he was conceived.

15. Plo_Koen

May 23, 2001
    But the midichlrians are what use The Force in our bodies. So if he was concieved by the force, he was concieved by the midis.

um yeah... that's basically what I was saying. ;)

16. Chaotic_Serenity

Chaotic_Serenity Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 10, 2004
    And since the midis are a biological manifestation of the force, it basically comes out to Anakin being a divine birth. Simple as that. Even has a prophecy surrounding him. If you're teacher isn't familiar with the storytelling and mythology surrounding that, well...what the hell are they doing teaching theatre?

17. Ker-Soth

Ker-Soth Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 24, 2004
    Hit the nail on the head there chaotic_serenity. Maybe that infamous theatre teacher should stop watching CATS for an hour or so. :p

18. jangoisadrunk

jangoisadrunk Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 7, 2005
    C'mon people, enough of all this pseudo-religious Immaculate Conception talk. I knew it was a lie the second it came from Shmi's mouth.

My explanation is as follows:

10 years before the events of TPM, Shmi Skywalker had an "encounter" with someone strong in the Force. AFAIK Jedi can "mate," they just can't fall in love and marry. Maybe Qui-Gon needed to blow of some steam and was provided with Shmi, by whomever owned her at the time. There is a scene in TPM where Qui-Gon rubs Shmi's shoulder in a fashion inconsistent with two people who just met the day before. I think she didn't want to tell him he was Anakin's father.

Or...

She was raped (by Palpatine - OH YEAH) and was too embarrassed to tell Qui-Gon when he asked. Look at her face when he asked who Anakin's father was. She looks down and to the left before spiting out the virgin birth crap (Obi-Wan looks down and to the left as well when he lies to Luke about how Anakin died). Expression studies have shown that some people look down and to the left during a lie.

Some of the most important events in Star Wars began with assumptions based on lies.

19. Atticus

Atticus Jedi Padawan star 4

May 31, 2002
    According to one of my friend's friend's, Shmi was a prostitute. However he isn' very smart when it comes to Star Wars, so like many have said above me, It was immaculate conception.

20. LazyDivey

LazyDivey Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 6, 2003
    the best way to explain anything to anybody is charts and graphs. Make a pie chart titled Conseption of Anakin. put 50% force, 50% egg, and off the side put 0% penis. Done. (i'm guessing I can say that since it's on syndicated Friends episodes and the kiddies watch that)

21. Yazid_Skywalker

Yazid_Skywalker Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 10, 2002
    maybe shmi has a ... weener?? lol. sorry, just had to say that. (shmi doesnt really sound feminine u know)

22. jedi_master_ousley

jedi_master_ousley Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2002
    It's not a hard concept to grasp in the context of a mythological story. Tell her it's a story, and that it doesn't have to adhere to real life concepts all the time.

23. Darth_Pappy

Darth_Pappy Jedi Youngling

Apr 29, 2005
    My theory is that whether Shmi is lying about the "immaculate" conception or not, that Dooku is the father. Lucas compares this series of movies to a Homeric narrative wherin each "stanza" of the story matches up with another, just as in a poem. By that measure it would make sense that Anakin will fight and destroy his father, (Dooku), as Luke was tempted to do in Jedi. Of course Luke remained on the light side by choosing not to dispatch Daddy V.

24. Chancellor-Remus

Chancellor-Remus Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 25, 2005
    The same way you explain how Jesus was conceived...

It is a story!

25. Yazid_Skywalker

Yazid_Skywalker Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 10, 2002
    maybe she just lied, u know. maybe she found a baby in a cradle at the doorstep or something and decided to take him for herself. altho i still think the midichlorians conceiving the baby IS the real answer.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.