main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

How do you feel about buying 'used' games?

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by Agent_SkywalKer, Nov 22, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Agent_SkywalKer

Agent_SkywalKer Jedi Knight star 6

Apr 28, 2005
    I don't like it. I like buying my game new. EB games always tries to push their used games on me, and it is irritating. The only time I bought a used game was Star Wars: Obi-Wan, which the last two levels don't even work, so what about you?

2. -Phoenix-

-Phoenix- Jedi Master star 5

Oct 21, 2005
    I don't buy used games because I'm skeptical as to why the person would sell it. Is it really bad, or is there something wrong with it? I get my games new.

3. Anakin_Sockwalker

Anakin_Sockwalker Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 11, 2005
    I always buy new. The only times that I would consider buying a used game is if the game isn't published anymore and I see it in the used section (which haven't happened yet).

4. BENSKYWAKER

BENSKYWAKER Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 28, 2005
    I buy new game exept when I see one that I have played and know it is fun... Anothing bad has happend to me yet...

5. MariahJSkywalker

MariahJSkywalker Poopoo Head star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 11, 2005
    I often buy used games, they're a bit cheaper and the ones I bought are in good condition. And I don't worry why somebody returned them, my tastes in games are not everyone elses.

6. Ramses85

Ramses85 Jedi Youngling star 1

May 14, 2005
    I don't buy used games anymore. CD/DVD's are one reason as scratches can affect the game, and I don't like having boxes covered with adhesive gunk in with all my other awesome games/DVD's.

7. Kyptastic

Kyptastic VIP star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    I trade in my old games for new ones mostly. however I've had no problems with any used games I've bought so far. I'll only buy them if they're cheap and im intereseted, but not so much that I want it to be perfect.

8. Siths_Revenge

Siths_Revenge Jedi Youngling star 7

Jul 27, 2004
    Don't touch them. I don't want to pay 10 20 bucks for a CD that might be scratched. I'd rather pay a little more for a new item.

9. Handmaiden Yané

Handmaiden Yané Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 15, 2002
    If you buy used games at GameStop, Babbages, or EBGames, you can save 10% if you have a GameStop More card. :D

Reserves --> New Games --> Trade-Ins--> Used Games --> Subscriptions --> Reserves...etc.

:D

It's the Circle of Life! :p

Also, I mean, yeah...used games don't look as nice as new games, but they are cheaper and you get basically the same value. They wouldn't sell it to you if it was defective. And, if it is, you have three months to return it for whatever reason.

Sounds like a good deal to me. :)

:p

10. Siths_Revenge

Jul 27, 2004
    Eh, points cards are overrated. At best you're only getting a buck or two off an item.

11. Anakin_Sockwalker

Jun 11, 2005

OMG! j00 can't advertise on these forums!!!

j/k :p

;)

12. Handmaiden Yané

Handmaiden Yané Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 15, 2002
    Well, lessee...on a used $44 game you can save like, four bucks. You can buy a meal for $4. I'm sorry we all don't have money trees so we can just throw away money or use it as toilet paper, mmkay? [face_plain]

13. Bripe_Klmun

Bripe_Klmun Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 8, 2005
    I look at it this way: I had the chance to buy the RoTS game for Xbox when it was new for $50. I waited a while and got it used from EB Games for $12. Before they gave it to me, I asked to see the back of the CD, just so I could check for damage. So yeah, I'm happy saving nearly $40.

I like buying used games. You are nearly 100% certain if they will work or not if it's a console, as you can just look at the media + it's a lot cheaper, which lets you buy more games at one time.

14. Anakin_Sockwalker

Jun 11, 2005
    The only game that I bought used was Morrowind, IIRC. The problem is that the map/manual smelled like cigarettes. [face_sick]

15. Siths_Revenge

Jul 27, 2004
    I'm not rich. I sometimes wait a year for the X Box games to become those "platnium hits", and pick them up for 20 bucks.

16. Anakin_Sockwalker

Jun 11, 2005
    I do the same as well.

17. Reebs

Reebs Jedi Youngling

Aug 26, 2005
    Boxes don't concern me personally, because I keep all my games (except N64 joints of course) in those Case Logic doohickeys, so unless there's something I absolutely must have when it's released, I buy all my games used, and have only had a couple problems with wonky discs.

It just makes sense financially (to me at least). If I'm going to drop $50 on stoopid videogames, I want the most bang for my buck*

Think about it. You could buy used copies of Rogue Leader, Jedi Academy, KOTOR and KOTOR II together for what it would cost to buy that horrible Episode III game new.

*Can't believe I just typed the phrase "bang for my buck"

18. Anakin_Sockwalker

Jun 11, 2005
    Yeah, used games are looking better each year since the trend of games becoming more expensive. It's getting to be like $60 a game now. $60 is how much I spend on lunch for over a month at the U. And two games is already enough to over a book for one of my classes. Doing all the above (plus multiplying the cost of books by five classes) is really streching what I can spend.

However, I just can't get over the feeling that the used game may be defective or something. Perhaps I will get over this feeling if I bought used games more. Plus I'm more of a PC Gamer type person and I like to go on-line with games. Since most PC games have CD-Keys now, it is impossible to know if the previous owner had gave the CD-Key to a friend or anything (since most games don't allow multiple CD-Keys to be online at the same time). Luckily I don't have this feeling for console games and am willing to buy used games for the console than for the PC.

19. Jedi_Dajuan

Jedi_Dajuan Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 30, 2002
    I'm cheap, I'll get used if I can find it or steal it from my fiance. I know a lot of people sell their games when they beat them, that's a great way to snatch up some good titles cheap. If they break and/or suck, I'm not out a lot of money that way either. Most new games are too advanced for my computer anyway.

20. Anakin_Sockwalker

Jun 11, 2005
    I can never sell any of my games. Some days I just like to break out a really old game out and have some gaming goodness that will bring back good memories (of course assuming said game is good, if it's not, for some reason, I can't let go of it also; however, I never bought a game that I didn't like). :)

EDIT: I meant break out. Not break. Yeah....

21. Valyn

Valyn Jedi Master star 8

Mar 2, 2002
    Uh...You're allowed to inspect the CD before you buy it. Also, if the game gives you a problem during play, you can exchange it for another pre-owned game of the same name.

22. Jedi_Matt

Jedi_Matt Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 11, 2002
    i don't often buy games used, but i bought Halo used, and i've never had any problems with it

23. Syntax

Syntax Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 1, 2001
    I buy used games all the time. In fact, I buy far more used games than new ones.

24. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    I only buy new games (unless they're for older consoles). I can't stand having all those stickers and gunk over my cases- and you can just tell when the plastic has been sitting around collecting dust or other crap. It just feels inferior and my collecting instincts kick in. To go through restoring the case is just not worth the cost and effort compared to the benefit of a cheaper price and even then I'm stuck with bent or crinkled manual pages.

I'd rather just wait until the price of a new copy drops to 20 or 30 bucks. Best of both worlds.

25. Siths_Revenge

Jul 27, 2004
    Also, if the game gives you a problem during play, you can exchange it for another pre-owned game of the same name.

So? You can do that with a new game, too. Just tell them you want to exchange it for a same copy, if the copy you have is scratched.

Most of the time, the stores that sell you the used disk only have that one copy, and they won't exchange it for you, and end up ordering you a new copy anyway.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.