main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT How do you feel at the fact that Yoda being CGI in the prequels?

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Feelicks, Jan 29, 2013.

1. Feelicks

Feelicks Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 7, 2012
    I honestly don't mind Yoda as a CG character in the PT, it was at least better than that horrid puppet we got in TPM. I still prefer the ESB/ROTJ puppet over CG Yoda, though.

2. Seagoat

Seagoat Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2013
    I know a lot of people complain about the fight scenes with Yoda, because it seems OOC for him, but really, he was called "A great warrior" even in the OT, which implies he once fought.

Fighting Yoda qould be impossible with a puppet, and CG allowed that to happen. Honestly, most of the time, he looks convincing enough to pass for actually being there, with a few exceptions.

Still better than the green dwarf Einstein from the original version of Ep I.

Feelicks and DarthRelaxus like this.
  3. Feelicks

Feelicks Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 7, 2012
    I didn't mind the concept of Yoda fighting either, I think people complained because it looked silly, him jumping and hopping around and whatnot... : P

I don't really what they were getting with the TPM puppet, there's no need to make him look younger, the dude's already over 800 years old.

4. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    I've never had a problem with any version of Yoda, I like them all.

Samnz and Alexrd like this.
  5. The Supreme Chancellor

The Supreme Chancellor Jedi Master star 4

Sep 4, 2012
    TPM puppet was horrendous. I don't understand how GL gave them the okay to put that thing on-screen. CGI Yoda was great however. No knock to the OT puppet but Yoda's expressions are represented much better in that format.

6. Cryogenic

Cryogenic Force Ghost star 5

Jul 20, 2005
    In the words of The Beatles, I Feel Fine! :cool:

Alexrd likes this.
  7. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    I like CGI Yoda in AOTC and ROTS just as I like puppet Yoda in TESB and ROTJ. Puppet Yoda in TPM was horrible, though... he looked nothing like him. Really just like another guy from the same species as Yoda.

8. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    Didn't mind at all. Loved the Yoda fight scenes as pure action--my three theatrical viewings of AOTC were the last times I was part of an audience that broke out in applause during the film. And I think it worked on a thematic level as well. I disagree with those who say Yoda was above the lightsaber. The whole point to me was that in many ways Yoda was indeed "just another Jedi," who unfortunately couldn't escape the stagnation of his institution until it was blindingly obvious that things weren't working.

Also, the OT puppet doesn't exactly scream lifelike realism to me now that I am viewing those films as an adult.

Samnz likes this.
  9. Ambervikings91

Ambervikings91 Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 1, 2012
    I prefer it, the puppet just looks to fake and old, I like the CGI yoda, much better in my opinion

10. Darth_Harmon

Darth_Harmon Jedi Master star 4

Jul 4, 2005
    As others have said, TPM Yoda was awful. Best change made to any Star Wars movie was CG Yoda in TPM. The movie is much better thanks to that change. I always hated how at the end of TPM, Yoda is very concerned about Obi-Wan training Anakin, and then in the next scene he has this stoner smile across his face like "hey man, look at the crazy parade! Groovy."

CG Yoda, by comparison, has a serious look on his face and seems generally disinterested in the parade and is thinking of the decision he made.

Another beef I had with TPM puppet Yoda was that after TPM, we had CG Yoda in AOTC and ROTS. It just seemed so uneven and frankly, the TPM puppet suddenly felt like a different character. Like when Dumbledore changed actors in the Harry Potter movies. Now, the prequels are far more consistant cast wise, and are stronger because of this.

Overall, I'm happy with CG Yoda in the prequels and puppet Yoda in the OT. What sort of annoys me now is CG Jabba in TPM and ANH, and then puppet Jabba in ROTJ. As much as I like the new scene in ANH, it imbalances Jabba's appearances for me.

11. Cryogenic

Cryogenic Force Ghost star 5

Jul 20, 2005
    There always has to be some idiot who'll come along and contest a majority opinion; and I'm that idiot. I love that moment because it seems like a rare chance for all those guys to get out of their "old folk's home" as Obi-Wan puts it in AOTC; and Yoda is just enjoying some restful time in the sun-- the fresh air! -- right? His placid demeanour fits the superficially happy, upbeat, celebratory feel of that final scene perfectly, IMO. The new version makes him look like a moody blowhard. And I never thought I'd get cast in a Star Wars movie. *hmpf!*

It looks more like he's detected the faint smell of cat poop -- or maybe Gungan flatulence -- and no-one else cares.

That's true. Yoda is more of a luminous being more often, now; digital, not this crude matter. Probably what happens when he overdoes the meditation.

Kidding aside, I do tend to look at it this way:

Young or semi-young people aliens are CG; old, decaying, decrepit, almost-dead ones are latex.

It's another theme/motif/visual story.

Latex rots, but CG is forever!

:p

SlashMan likes this.
  12. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Lemmie put it this way, I bought the "performance" of the puppet in ESB & ROTJ (okay the ROTJ Yoda puppet spends most of it's time on it's back) and I bought the "performance" of the CGI Yoda in AOTC & ROTS. ("Use you feelings, Obi-Wan, and find him you will." just look at the facial expression on that, great animation work.) When I saw the TPM puppet, it just looked like a puppet. But now with CG Yoda, it fits a lot more into the next 2 ovies.

13. rumsmuggler

rumsmuggler Chosen One star 7

Aug 31, 2000
    I had no problem with CG Yoda.

14. SlashMan

SlashMan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 5, 2012
    CGI Yoda felt like the same character. Which means the effects team did their job. His facial expressions especially are always insightful.

Now, I'm fine with the silicone Yoda in Episode I. I like that they tried to make Yoda look somewhat younger than his tired self in the OT.

Samnz likes this.
  15. the_sinister_hologram

the_sinister_hologram Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 3, 2012
    Here are my thoughts on this matter. I'll try to keep it simple:

Yoda shouldn't have had a lightsaber. He should have been the master of the Force with powers such as absorbing the impact energy of the enemy's lightsaber.
    The same way Force Lightning should have been exclusive to Palpatine, because that's what made him unique.

My point is that CGI Yoda looks okay, even if there are some really big differences between that version and the one in the OT.
    The problems come from his lightsaber fighting - due to his small size, he has to compensate by jumping around like a clown.
    I considered that to be a disgrace for the wise Jedi master that is Yoda. It seemed very out of character.
    Yes, Yoda was a great warrior, but that doesn't immediately imply wielding a tiny lightsaber.

The CGI model by itself was great, though. Well detailed, good facial animation. All until we get to the jumping around. That's where I feel that they've gone too far.

There is a bit in the Mace vs Palpatine scene in RotS, when Palpatine (CGIed) is shown jumping on a piece of furniture. That part was very unconvincing, unnecessary in a very similar way to CGI Yoda fighting.

16. Samnz

Samnz Jedi Grand Master star 3

Sep 4, 2012
    But that would imply that Yoda from TESB is exactly the same as Yoda from AOTC and I don't think that's true. Wisdom comes from experiece and Yoda didn't have the same experience in AOTC, he hasn't witnessed the downfall of his Jedi Order at that point.

When he says "wars not make one great" in TESB, don't you immediately think of the Clone Wars and the Jedi's role in that war? The Clone Wars made noone great - neither the Separatists nor the Republic nor the Jedi.
    And when he says "Failed, I have" in ROTS I see it as his realization about how foolish he was, thinking he could "fix" all the Jedi's shortcomings over the past couple of decades with one simple lightsaber fight against Sidious.
    This Yoda, contemplating about his actions and the Jedi Order's fate for 20 years in exile, is the Yoda we meet again in TESB. It's not the Yoda from AOTC.