main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit How do you feel/what are going to do when 'the new canon/EU' hits the shelves?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Darth_Calgmoth, Feb 25, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth_Calgmoth

Darth_Calgmoth Jedi Master star 2

Jul 7, 2006
    This is a topic in which I'd like to discuss the effects the new EU/canon has on the people that have been around since the beginning of the EU. I've grown up with Star-Wars-EU materials, beginning with the Thrawn trilogy and Dark Empire, and I've pretty much own every single SW novel or comic book (many of them in foreign editions as well) that it's not explicitly a book for small children.

People like me (if there are any) have grown accustomed to the fact that this whole universe is (supposed to be) coherent. The characters and the stories develop, and expand, start to stretch out over decades and centuries, while you yourself grow older. Yes, there is the occasional retcon, the reinvention of certain events and stuff, and that grew more and more annoying since TCW started, but the premise this whole fictional universe was built upon is the fact that there is one continuity.

That's going to change now. I'm mildly interested in the new movies, and I admit that I want to see Mark, Carrie, and Harrison in their old roles, but I very much doubt that what ever new continuity the new films are going to establish will deliver 'better' or 'more interesting' stories than those that are already out there.

I really have difficulties in finding why I should be interested in a new continuity that perhaps topples all the stuff I grew to love (or loved to hate) over the years. Is anyone else share those feelings, or is this whole posting a rather strange statement to most of you out there?

Do you plan to buy (tie-in) novels/comics on the new movies/the new continuity/canon, or are you also reluctant to do this?

2. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    I didn't start with TTT I started with YJK as a young teen. I'm largely with you in sentiment. Though currently I own nothing SW. I want to see especially Mark back as Luke. However, I don't like that everyone I like/am attached is basically now deemed 'never existed'. Though I haven't liked too much of EU's tone since NJO (didn't even finish that series and quit altogether at Betrayal) plus basically all the chars I like are dead or distorted beyond belief. Even so, I doubt the new stuff will be better. I already don't care for what I've seen of TCW and Rebels so...

Yes, I doubt I will buy anything of the new continuity and no it's not because I'm a 'diehard' OT fan (I don't see myself so) but simply that I'm pretty burned out on SW as a whole.

Zorrixor likes this.
  3. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    If I hear they're good then, sure, I'll check them out.

I'll never get invested in an idea of a cohesive, definitive canon again, though. They'll just throw it all out again in twenty years when Disney start making "midquels", or whatever.

Zorrixor and blackmyron like this.
  4. DigitalMessiah

DigitalMessiah Chosen One star 6

Feb 17, 2004
    I can't wait for Episode 6.7

5. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011

This is me picking up some new EU.

As loathe as I am to remove reference to one of my favourite shows... this kind of **** isn't allowed on the boards.

Pity, though.
    ;)

What is this ****?

6. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    I've lived through this before. It took years before they decided to re-incorporate the Marvel series into continuity beyond a couple of winks. So nbd.

Gamiel, Ulicus and DigitalMessiah like this.
  7. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    What did I miss?

8. Darth_Calgmoth

Darth_Calgmoth Jedi Master star 2

Jul 7, 2006
    My issues are mostly with the fact that all the stuff I've bought and read is now 'dead' in the sense that it won't be ever continued or even referenced in any fashion, at least not those parts of the 'old canon' that did never happen.

On an emotional level it can be compared with the revelation that good friends you have fun actually never existed; on a economic level it's sort of a fail investment that stretched over more than two decades. We - that is those who bought and read pretty much all of the stuff - did this (eventually) with the knowledge in mind that this was all part of one on-going continuity.

The scales are this time much higher since the old Marvel stuff got discarded, since nobody ever made anyone believe that this one on-going continuity back then. At least, that's my impression; and when the (new) EU was created in the early 1990s it took some time before this on-going continuity thing was established. It was left to Zahn to decide whether he would want to incorporate any of the Marvel stuff, was it not? Back then, nobody thought of an on-going continuity, but they established such a thing later on.

I guess I might give it a try depending on the setting of the new trilogy. But then, does anyone believe that J.J. Abrams can invent anything remotely new or innovative for anyone who has read more or less the whole SW EU? That is, a setting where interesting new stories could be told that would enable 'the old guard' to overlook what they have done to 'their' continuity? I really doubt that (although I don't want to...).

9. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    Maybe the higher-ups didn't, but I can assure you we did think of everything as "Star Wars". Why wouldn't we?

Jobertus and DigitalMessiah like this.
  10. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    I'd argue the higher ups don't think of it now either.

11. JediKnight75

JediKnight75 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 15, 2011
    I probably won't buy the new EU. Maybe the lead in novels and the movie novelizations. I won't be able to help my curiosity. If those are great, I may continue reading. But by great I mean better than the NJO plus the best of Bantam (I'm leaving out the Prequal era because I won't be surprised if these books stay), if they aren't then I'm not spending any more money. I've spent a lot of time and money on the EU. I don't want to relive it, mainly because at this point it will feel repetitious no matter what they do. I also, don't want to spend a lot more time getting reinvested in a new vision of the saga. As fun as it was I don't want to do it again; especially when I have to realize that what I'm reading is replacing stories I loved. That's not worth it. In addition, like I said, I can't imagine the new movies or novels surpassing the current EU. I already prefer it to the movies we have and with more limits on books, going forward, we will not have the same creativity that brought the NJO ( we haven't had it for a while, and on this path there is no way we will). Since I feel that with the NJO, I have a great conclusion to the saga, there is no need for more. If they decide to overwrite all of this, then I'll just quit and keep my own noncanon universe.

I'm not saying this to complain, but there is a certain fatigue associated with spending years enjoying stories and then being told, "those stories no longer exists, but you can spend more money to get the real story." The reason I stay with eh EU is becaise despite what I think about its current direction, I was invested in all of the characters. I loved the universe beyond what just the movies could provide. With that gone all that's left is my exhaustion for having spent so much time on Star Wars -- ultimately on stories that did not matter. So it is hard to imagine jumping right back in and spending hundreds upon hundreds of dollars.

12. HEDGESMFG

HEDGESMFG Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 20, 2010
    I'm probably going to give up. This is one of the last cohesive long running EUs in fiction that wasn't rebooted, and if it really does happen... not just a part of it, but all of it, it'll be very hard to take anything that comes out in the future seriously.

Who's to say they won't just one day cut out the prequals entirely? Or heck, say Episode IV doesn't count because they don't own it? You may laugh at that, but that's how seriously I take the idea of cutting out the 'entire' EU.

13. Cushing's Admirer

Jun 8, 2006
    Agreed. Now that it has new management and owners *anything* may happen. Even the films may eventually be deemed non-cannon. Given all the changes and inconsistency plus all the constant division between fans I am on the brink of just giving up. I took both Trek and Wars seriously for a long time. Now neither has what made them great anymore.

JediKnight75 likes this.
  14. HEDGESMFG

Nov 20, 2010
    If we lose the canon of the entire EU, at least Trek never set up fans with a false pretense for decades. Heck, in that case I can just accept the stories that mostly fit and hope they're not touched too much.

This would be far worse.

(And once again, I refer most specifically to the idea of them tossing out everything, not just post ROTJ stories)

darthscott3457 and JediKnight75 like this.
  15. JediKnight75

Feb 15, 2011
    I hadn't thought of that before. I much preferred the 6 movies pkust the EU. Even with the EU taking a horrible direction, their was always hope it would get better. I think we were slowly heading in the right direction too. Now with everything in jeopardy who knows. And the possibility of the movies being retconed is not unlikely. What if Disney decides that in 10 years the OT is too outdated to just released special editions? Then we could get a remake, but oops the director wanted to take a new artistic direction. Soon after we fond that the movies don't resemble themselves. Well, in that case there is no more OT.

16. HEDGESMFG

Nov 20, 2010
    Bingo. Reboots can lead to remakes, which can lead to franchise death and apathy.

17. Cushing's Admirer

Jun 8, 2006
    I think you assume a bit much. I took the Trek books to be cannon for years. I think leveling of validity is a bane. It's up to the consumer what's valid, not a cooperation.

I don't like the whole mess. It's a huge slap in the face to everyone that worked on, contributed, or bought into the Saga. I will be pissed if my introduction to my hero, Sir Peter Cushing is rendered 'invalid, never happened' and it might well be in time. Tarkin was my first Cushing part as Dooku and Saruman were my first for Lee. EU's not the only thing at stake, folks. The whole universe is. Am I doomsayer, no. However, I am practical enough to see the potential.

18. JediKnight75

Feb 15, 2011
    Yes and with Disney being out for money, I doubt they'll care for artistic direction. Sure they want the movies to be good, but that's for money. They aren't going to care in the OT is preserved. If remakes will make money then eventually that's what we'll get.

19. Cushing's Admirer

Jun 8, 2006
    I agree. It seems to be a trend that's spiralling out of control to me. Vision and integrity is sacrificed for flash and profit. It's a shame.

Zorrixor likes this.
  20. Nom von Anor

Nom von Anor Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 7, 2012
    I won't be buying the new EU, if there actually is one. I'm already feeling a little burnt out. I'll cut my losses and quit, and keep what I have as my "personal canon". :)

Will the Lit forum be split in two if the new canon completely disregards the old one, I wonder? Old timers will need a place to grumble and talk about the good old days :p

21. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    It depends.

Will I like the sound of what Ep 7 proposes to do?

If I don't, will the execution win me over despite that?

I'm unlikely to put any credit in any statement with regard to continuity from the companies, they BDZ'd it once and so will do so again.

The bigger problem is I suspect the new EU will be far more conservative and risk-averse.

22. TheJediBrah

TheJediBrah Jedi Knight star 1

Oct 6, 2013
    First of all, this makes no sense. Even if new books are introduced in a slightly different continuity no one is going to come and take all your old books away. It doesn't "topple" anything.

And to answer the question, I just hope that new EU literature does hit the shelves, and that most Star Wars merchandise from now on isn't limited to cartoons, younger readers books etc.

o rly?

[​IMG]

23. Cushing's Admirer

Jun 8, 2006
    Yes it does from their point of view. The fact they may not take the old content away doesn't mean the feelings aren't possibly soured.

24. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    Don't know yet, but I agree that it will most likely depend not on canon or continuity, but whether or not the novels do something different. My favorite EU has not been made primarily from the perspective of "we must recreate the feeling of the original film," so if that is Disney's main goal throughout all media, I probably won't to too quick to get on board.

More than anything, though at the moment the prospect of "D-EU" has me wanting to take one last crack at the old way stuff despite that I haven't picked up a Star Wars novel in a few years. Maybe I'll give the new Maul book a go. Had a blast with Shadow Hunter back in the day.

25. Scrubbed

Scrubbed Jedi Master star 1

Feb 1, 2006
    Most likely the same thing I do now: Buy a few books/comics/rpg games and check the rest out at the library and maybe watch a few cutscenes on youtube.

At first, I was mad reading about the Disney stuff but now I'm not that sure. It's not like Star Wars is moving in a great direction and putting out it's best work so much as their are a few good stories mixed in with a few bad ones and a few that are doomed by previous writings

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.