main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit How do you feel/what are going to do when 'the new canon/EU' hits the shelves?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Darth_Calgmoth, Feb 25, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    Well, Disney and LFL salutes you. You're the ideal consumer in their eyes.

I'm a conditional Star Wars fan - the 'condition' being that I enjoy it. The mere presence of a brand name doesn't cut it. I dumped them when Lucas became obsessed with the Ewoks; I'll give them a chance again this time around, but I suspect that I'll be moving on. Well, except for FFG as long as they have the license.

Valin__Kenobi likes this.
  2. DigitalMessiah

DigitalMessiah Chosen One star 6

Feb 17, 2004
    I loved the Ewoks movies.

Iron_lord and LelalMekha like this.
  3. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    I've known that pretty much from day one. :p

Well, yeah. If it's not something I'm into I won't buy it. Maybe I worded my last post badly–I will continue to buy it because it's Star Wars, but probably not everything; I haven't even bought (nor do I desire to buy) everything from the previous continuity. For example, I own almost no actual graphic novels except for the KOTOR and Dark Times omnibuses. I certainly have no interest in anything Droids or Ewok-related, and probably anything with Dark Empire-style art would be an instant no. But we'll see.

4. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    Then we're probably not that different (other than you having a more optimistic attitude about the likelihood of the new material being enjoyable for you :p)

That isn't to say I don't have SW material I don't like, but that's part of being a pseudo-scholarly self-proclaimed "expert" at Star Wars canon. I try to limit that stuff to material picked up at the used book store or trips to the library.

Revanfan1 likes this.
  5. sharkymcshark

sharkymcshark Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 12, 2013
    Eh, I'll probably get into it eventually. I've got a ways to go before exhausting this EU - I was a late started so I've never been in a position where I'm stuck with nothing to read because there is nothing new out, so I'd imagine that by the time I'm done with the current EU the new will be relatively well stocked.

Force Smuggler likes this.
  6. TheNewEmpire

TheNewEmpire Jedi Master star 3

Aug 12, 2007
    I'll give the first book a try. I'll probably stop reading the current continuity though. I haven't started Fate of the Jedi yet. Probably never will now. I'm still reading the NJO.

Force Smuggler and Revanfan1 like this.
  7. 07jonesj

07jonesj Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 16, 2010
    It'll take me a little bit to get my head around the fact that the years of information on SW I've stored up don't actually exist in the new continuity. Other than that, if it's good, I'll probably get into it. Depends on what stories they decide to tell, really.

I've still got quite a few novels to read, and I won't be throwing them away. SW 1.0 will be something I'll return to again and again, I imagine.

Revanfan1 likes this.
  8. TheNewEmpire

Aug 12, 2007
    I adore the Thrawn trilogy and NJO. I can live without everything else post ROTJ. Once I know a particular book isn't canon anymore I won't read it. It loses its luster.
    I feel the current EU has made so many mistakes that a reboot may be a good thing in many ways. I mean, all my favourite characters are dead.

If you think of the story of Vader: What happens to him after his TIE is hit in the death star trench, what happened to the rebels directly after the death star blew up, how did vader learn of luke... this was all covered in lame comics. Empire #14/Vader Quest. A reboot would allow a really talented writer like James Luceno to craft a great novel in the vain of Shadows of the Empire. Something to tie episodes 4 and 5 together.

9. TheJediBrah

TheJediBrah Jedi Knight star 1

Oct 6, 2013
    So true. I don't read comics, I'm not a child or into that sort of thing. Re-writing/re-imagining those stories in quality adult novels would be awesome. (unlikely though, more likely to be recovered in a child's cartoon or picture book)

10. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    What he said

11. Revanfan1

Jun 3, 2013
    So you'll never ever read the Thrawn trilogy again just because it's not canon? Why give them the satisfaction? :confused:

Jedi Ben likes this.
  12. _Catherine_

_Catherine_ Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 16, 2007
    Agreed, I'm sick of the comics stealing all the best stories and turning them into childish twaddle. Star Wars novels are much more mature and better suited for adults, of which I am one.

13. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    The Kevin J. Anderson novels are true literature.

14. Ackbar's Fishsticks

Ackbar's Fishsticks Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 25, 2013
    I'll throw in a good word and say that I quite liked some of them. I read Quinlan Vos' story arc in comic form (don't know if any of it was ever written into novel format), and I think I actually like that one best of all the Clone Wars era stories. Your mileage, of course, is welcome to vary.

_Catherine_ likes this.
  15. DarthBarrister

DarthBarrister Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 16, 2014
    I wish they had done more of the historical work in novel form over comics.

16. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Dark Empire should have been in book form. Preferably by Stover.
    Legacy and KOTOR are excellent comic series'.

Starkeiller likes this.
  17. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    I know a novelization of Dark Empire is a popular idea, but I think the crux of Dark Empire is best served in the format it is told. A novel expansion of the story would serve to expand upon the story but it wouldn't really do much for either Luke or Leia's arcs. Sometimes less is more, and I think it would distract from the story to get into the nitty gritty of the war in a way that Zahn would, and I don't think that Stover could really say more about the arcs. Shadows of Mindor is the best thing he could do for it, and he did.

Jedi Ben likes this.
  18. Starkeiller

Starkeiller Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 5, 2004
    The main story has already been told, and indeed is perfectly suited to the comic book format (and Cam Kennedy's art especially), but a Dark Empire novel wouldn't distract from anything now.

Force Smuggler likes this.
  19. TheNewEmpire

Aug 12, 2007

Oh sorry. That's not what I meant. Of course I'll read the Thrawn trilogy again. I meant I won't read the post ROTJ books that I haven't gotten around to reading yet, like the FOTJ books. Sorry for the confusion.

Revanfan1 likes this.
  20. Revanfan1

Jun 3, 2013
    Oh, okay. I was going to say, there's no reason not to read it if you love it. You won't miss too much with FOTJ, anyhow; only Allston's books are much good.

21. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    You're all fools to assume Star Wood #14 and Vader's Quest are the definitive account of events between ANH-ESB!

22. jacktherack

jacktherack Jedi Master star 4

Mar 19, 2008

I honestly don't know what a story group member is. Are you talking about a member of these forums? If so i how does them saying something hold any weight? Also if stuff that is not on screen is not canon then how did Aayla Secura and several other Eu Subjects make it into the movies?

I know you are butthurt about your precious Post Rotj Eu likely getting decimated, and you're likely lashing out in anger because some people don't care about that part of the Eu. But there is really no reason to believe that the Pre-Rotj Eu will get overwritten.

23. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Showing the fall of Coruscant and the rest of the military engagements would be fun

24. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    The jump between the "Yay! we beat thrawn and let's have hot chocolate and look at the sunset on Courscant" ending of "the Last Command" and the "urban warfare apocalyptic hellscape Courscant" of the opening pages of Dark Empire is a tad jarring.

25. COMPNOR

COMPNOR Jedi Grand Master star 3

Aug 19, 2003
    That's why you need to read the "Retreat from Coruscant" short story included in the Tales From the Empire anthology.

BigAl6ft6 and Force Smuggler like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.