main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit How do you feel/what are going to do when 'the new canon/EU' hits the shelves?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Darth_Calgmoth, Feb 25, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Starkeiller

Starkeiller Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 5, 2004
    And perfect for telling a story.

2. DigitalMessiah

DigitalMessiah Chosen One star 6

Feb 17, 2004
    The fall of Coruscant and the military engagements are superfluous to the plot. What you guys want isn't a novelization of Dark Empire but a prequel/sidequel.

Which isn't something that I am opposed to seeing.

Revanfan1 likes this.
  3. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    Except it was about a couple of mailmen (er, mailpersons).

4. Starkeiller

Starkeiller Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 5, 2004
    "Sidequel". Never heard of it, but I think I'd love one for Dark Empire.

5. DigitalMessiah

DigitalMessiah Chosen One star 6

Feb 17, 2004
    Well, look at I, Jedi for the Jedi Academy trilogy for what I mean. It's its own story happening concurrently.

Revanfan1 likes this.
  6. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Dark Empire 1 1/2.

7. _Catherine_

_Catherine_ Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 16, 2007
    Maybe one day.

8. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Ha ha lol. Not exactly what I meant but that would be part of Dark Empire 2 1/2.

Seeing Kam in the story was more jarring than seeing Coruscant as a war zone.

9. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    Seriously? *sigh*.

Story Group - the official LFL/Disney team including Leland Chee and Pablo Hildalgo whose stated purpose is to make sure that all future Star Wars products work together. It's been mentioned, oh, all the time.

So, the answer is "No, I don't have any shred of evidence that the pre-ROTJ EU will be preserved, so I'll throw out a few insults and a classic "can't prove a negative!" non-argument."
    Come back when you have actual proof like I asked.

Iron_lord likes this.
  10. COMPNOR

COMPNOR Jedi Grand Master star 3

Aug 19, 2003

Who just happen to be carrying a data card containing information about the fall of Coruscant and location of the rendezvous point for the New Republic's sector fleets, along with the colonel who is the New Republic Council's Director of Security for the Imperial Palace.

Revanfan1 likes this.
  11. blackmyron

Oct 29, 2005
    And it's funny, but Corran alludes to one of his anniversaries being spent fighting the Emperor Reborn's forces. A X-Wing novel set in that time period would be rather nice.

Revanfan1 and Force Smuggler like this.
  12. Sniper_Wolf

Sniper_Wolf Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 26, 2002
    DigitalMessiah

Reading multiple posts of "My EU is dead" alongside "X, Y, and Z of the EU is illegitimate" strikes me as cognitive dissonance, two opposing ideas contradicting each other based on minute if any evidence. Why grow overly upset on the my fiction is truer than your fiction debate? If there's something in your library you don't like anymore donate it to someone.

imiller

Calm down, I'm using an argumentative technique I learned in high school debate. "This McDonalds is likely digusting" is a weaker argument than "This McDonalds is disgusting." When stating a point I attempt to use the least amount and strongest words possible.

Once again you are reading more into a statement, and I quite dislike the taste of weird fingers in my mouth. I posited that the negative reaction is an exercise in futility based the lack of supporting evidence so far. An adjacent query is is our love of the EU based on continuity certification stamped on the inside of the book or the text itself? When I started reading the EU in middle school I was attracted by that, yes. Decade plus later I enjoyed reading the novel or comic because if the story worked or not. My downloaded copy of The Dune Encyclopedia is an egrossing text regardless of Herbert, jr. hiring KJA to co-author poorly penned hackwork.

At present, most of posters here are overly stressing themselves over something they know little over, nor do they have control over.

13. Xammer

Xammer Jedi Master star 3

Jan 31, 2009
    Edit: sorry, what I said was already said.

14. imiller

imiller Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 26, 2004
    Sniper_Wolf My question remains - are those who are enthusiastic about the new EU just as much to be condemned? I believe that all of our reactions - yours and mine alike - are valid, and I don't think either of us should attempt to quash the others. I'm perfectly happy for you to think that we should take a "wait and see" attitude, and also for you finding the weeping and gnashing of teeth a bit silly - but I don't think that should result in a gag order.

15. LawgSkrak

LawgSkrak Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 23, 1999
    His point is, we don't ACTUALLY know if there is going to be a new EU yet. This thread is funny because everyone here is talking about it like it's a foregone conclusion. Is it likely to happen? Yes. But is is going to happen FOR SURE? We don't know yet.
    As far as we know, the sequel trilogy could have nothing in it that requires a reboot of the EU.

Has it been confirmed that any of the characters are, in fact, going to be children of the Solos or Skywalkers? (I'm honestly asking, haven't been following the sequel news.) If they aren't, then that is pretty much the main thing that is gonna screw stuff up. If it's just Luke, Han, and Leia popping in for what I'm sure will be nothing more than glorified cameos, I'm not really seeing much of a need to throw out anything. If they bring Chewbacca back, the EU can work around it.

I'm just gonna wait until the new stuff comes out and see what happens. THEN I'll decide what I'm gonna do.

16. Stymi

Stymi Force Ghost star 4

Jan 10, 2002
    Don't argue about something because no one knows for sure what's going to happen?

That practically revokes the TFN forums's mandate. Seriously, that is kinda what we do here. Rational rhetorical and argumentation technique? You have read things people post here?

Academic aside: rhetorical theory is more nuanced than what may be the more popular argumentative style utilized in certain contexts. See also discourse conventions. See also no one cares about your high school debate team.

Sent from Tapatalk app

17. LawgSkrak

Apr 23, 1999
    Where did I say don't argue about it? I didn't. I said I find it funny that everybody is acting like a rebooted EU is a foregone conclusion when we know next to nothing about what the sequels are gonna be about, or which characters are going to be in it. Then I asked a question. Then I stated my reply to the OPs question. Didn't once say you guys shouldn't argue/debate/discuss the possibilities. yeesh

18. LawgSkrak

Apr 23, 1999
    Where did I say don't argue about it? I didn't. I said I find it funny that everybody is acting like a rebooted EU is a foregone conclusion when we know next to nothing about what the sequels are gonna be about, or which characters are going to be in it. Then I asked a question. Then I stated my reply to the OPs question. Didn't once say you guys shouldn't argue/debate/discuss the possibilities. yeesh

19. LawgSkrak

Apr 23, 1999

20. LawgSkrak

Apr 23, 1999
    K don't know what happened there. Sorry for the triple post. wth?

21. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    I foresee your triple posts being rebooted!

LawgSkrak likes this.
  22. Loopy777

Loopy777 Jedi Master star 1

Apr 8, 2013
    I'm looking forward to the inevitable spiteful war between the Story Group's attempt to keep a clean continuity and petulant writers' attempts to grandfather in various old stories they like by making arbitrary references to them in new books. It will be like DC comics, except with more Darth Vader and Zayne Carrick.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  23. blackmyron

Oct 29, 2005
    That's why I love the idea of Hickman and Remender being recruited for a Marvel series.

24. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Just prepare for.....

DEATH!

Lots of it!

MasterSkywalker86 likes this.
  25. jacktherack

jacktherack Jedi Master star 4

Mar 19, 2008
    There is no evidence that the Post Rotj Eu will be preserved? The evidence is that there is no evidence against it. Why would it not be preserved? They have absolutly no reason not to? Also i never said i had any proof i was asking you if you had any.

You started this argument when you said that the Post Rotj Eu is not safe, even though there is no reason to think it isn't.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.