main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Phx How do you guys beat the heat?

Discussion in 'SouthWest Region Discussion' started by Emperor_Dan, Jun 22, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Emperor_Dan

Emperor_Dan Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 21, 1999
    Well, I really can't stand those 105+ temps (I stayed in PHX last summer and it was AWFUL), so this year (and next year, and the year after that..) I'm staying back in my old house in California for the summer.

So, what do you guys do to beat the heat? Don't go outside? Lots of time in the pool? ;) Do you guys wish you were elsewhere? :p

2. Idiots Array

Idiots Array Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 3, 2000
    The heat has never really been that bad to me. It's the cold I can't stand. I just drink lots of water in my trips between the A/C and the pool. :p

3. Subjugator

Subjugator Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 29, 2001
    This heat is nothing compared to what it is like battling those wildfires.

4. Master_Ronin

Master_Ronin Jedi Youngling star 2

May 16, 2002
    This heat is nothing compared to what it is like battling those wildfires.

This is true.

I beat the heat by the fact that I had to endure it for a summer with NO AC in my car. Now it's a piece of cake.

5. Bria

Bria Manager Emeritus, -MNFF Council star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 15, 1999
    I stay indoors a lot. Or at least I did in Az. :D ;)

~*~Bria

6. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001
    I used to be much better with the heat and had a major problem dealing with the cold. Now it's the reverse. If I have proper clothing for the cold, I much prefer it to dealing with the heat. For much of both winters I spent in Flagstaff, anything above 40 was to be considered a warm day. Just have to re-adjust, I imagine.

7. Anwelei

Anwelei Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 26, 2001
    I drink lots of water and still on plenty of sunscreen.

I think i'm mostly used to the heat since the first 10 years of my life, mi familia had no ac in either the house or the car. Talk about hot!

8. Bria

May 15, 1999
    Cold is good in that you can always put more on. You can only take off so much! :(

~*~Bria

9. Idiots Array

Idiots Array Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 3, 2000
    lol...I have A/C in my car and I still only rarely use it.

10. kreleia

kreleia Jedi Knight star 5

Dec 14, 2000
    A/C, water, LOTS of swimming (even though I have very little tan to show for it), and the internet, of course. ;) Personally, I'd rather be hot than cold. I can't stand the cold anymore. Two weeks during Christmas and New Years up in Salt Lake is just about enough to push me over the edge of my already-frail sanity. :D I *love* coming back home to the warm weather.

11. spacyway

spacyway Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 5, 2002
    Yeah, one summer in AZ and you give up trying to beat the heat, and you get used to it.

12. Bria

May 15, 1999
    :eek: Salt Lake cold? Bah. [face_laugh]

~*~Bria

13. kreleia

kreleia Jedi Knight star 5

Dec 14, 2000
    Hey, it snows there. In my book, that's cold. [face_laugh]

14. DarthFeldman

DarthFeldman Jedi Padawan star 4

May 16, 2002
    I dont care what you say... NOBODY can get used to 118 degree heat.. I have been in AZ for 22 years..and still cant take it.. I stay inside and watch star wars.. except for my daily trips to the toy stores..

15. JediDragon

JediDragon Jedi Master star 5

Mar 11, 2002
    I wanted nothing more than to go somewhere warm. on my dreamsheet I had down like all the bases in the southern part of the country (Luke AFB in Phoenix was high on the list)...where do they send me? Colorado Springs. Don't get me wrong, it's a really nice area here...just a little too cold in the winter...I wanted to go somewhere nice and warm :(.

16. Jinnetics

Jinnetics Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 8, 1999
    I've lived here all my life and never get used to it. The wealthy frolic in pools. I shovel what money I have into the AC and watch SW and Doctor Who.

17. Qui-Gone-Drinkin

Qui-Gone-Drinkin Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 12, 2002
    i lay in a bathtub full of ice cubes...

then again im glad its hot here in denver..

18. Emperor_Dan

Emperor_Dan Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 21, 1999
    I certainly can't handle the cold at all. Anything under 50 I hate with a passion. Luckily, in Phoenix, there's no humidity. If you've ever been to Louisiana or Florida or even Hawaii, you tend to sweat a lot! Even though it's not hot temperature wise, it becomes pretty unbearable. Besides, it makes your hair all curly! ;) Actually, the other problem is the mold. If you don't leave your air conditioning on at at least as low as 80, mold will grow *EVERYWHERE*.

19. Mobius

Mobius Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 3, 2002
    Heat? What heat? J/K. I hate the heat out here, but I've lived here all my life, so I guess I'm used to it. Indoors with A/C and a car with good A/C.

BTW, anyone in Phoenix who buys a car with leather seats (especially black or grey leather) is absolutely INSANE!!!

20. JediDragon

JediDragon Jedi Master star 5

Mar 11, 2002
    I don't mind humidity...

21. liquido

liquido Jedi Youngling star 2

May 16, 2002
    The best way to beat the heat is to stay hydrated. This means drinking water so often that your urine is clear or nearly clear. If you're using the restroom a lot, you're probably properly hydrated.

The next thing is to stay outside in the shade. Indoors can get too hot unless you want to waste money on a swamp cooler or A/C.

Another tip is to wear some sort of headgear to protect you head and face, while wearing a loose long sleeved shirt and pants. The long sleeves and pants protect your limbs better and cheaper than sunscreen, while keeping them loose allows the heat and sweat to escape.

Make sure to exercise around dawn or dusk if you can. Midday exercise can be brutal in the summers here. Of course, if you exercise during the night use adequate lighting.

22. Kirana_T

Kirana_T Jedi Padawan star 4

May 28, 2002
    First thing you do, is rent an apartment where the air conditioning is included (but where you get to control the thermostat). Voila-live in as much coolness as you can stand. (We keep it at 70 :)) Then, you make sure your car has good a/c (I lived for many years without a/c in my car, and you do sort of get used to it, but I don't ever want to have to live like that again-all sweaty before you even get anywhere, and one side of your body is darker than the other from the unfiltered sunlight coming in the rolled-down window, even though you're putting on sunscreen on your left leg below the shorts (because you CAN'T wear anything else) and arm at every stop light. Ick. :)) Finally, get a job in a almost any corporate office. They keep the it so cold, people need to wear sweaters. (It's funny when people forget to take them off before going outside. 100+ degrees and wearing a sweater! :D) If you follow this plan, the only time you need to face the heat is between air conditioned home, air conditioned car (make sure to park in the covered parking ;)) and the air conditioned office. No sweat. :)

23. CaptHowdy_00

CaptHowdy_00 Jedi Youngling star 2

May 15, 2002
    I hate the heat...when people say it's dry heat, I want to hit them. I would reather be in Cali surfing. but I can't go, because the work is here. i was born in Russia, so I do not mind the cold. besides, anythign over 60 is warm.

24. JediHunterAlpha

JediHunterAlpha Jedi Youngling star 1

May 23, 2002
    Unfortunetly where i work, the owner of the store will not turn on the AC until august if he can avoid it. So, outside it is 100+ degrees and inside it is 90 or so degrees with a high humidity from the evap's going. But at leats eveywhere else i go, its nice and cool.

25. Diesel_Dave

Diesel_Dave Jedi Padawan star 4

May 16, 2002
    Yeah, one summer in AZ and you give up trying to beat the heat, and you get used to it.

I've lived here for five years and NOBODY gets 'used' to it. I did learn to tolerate it alot more. I drink LOTS of water. Do the yard work in the morning or just before sunset. And make a live sacrifice to the A/C gods everyday.

E.D. I'm with you on the Cali thing. I lived in so-cal all my life till here in AZ. Every summer I go back home to Dana Point for a week to remember what it like to enjoy the sun after 11:00am!

Oh yeah! Anybody hear that San Diego Zoo commercial on the radio that just rips on Arizona. I laughed so hard I almost had to stop the car!

Just my two cents worth!

edit: comment to the whole "Dry Heat" thing... So is an oven but I don't put my head in it

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.