How do you keep track of your build points in the TCG?

Discussion in 'Games: CCG, TCG, and Boardgames' started by DamastaLukeSkywalker, May 27, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DamastaLukeSkywalker Jedi Knight

star 1
    Ok. So I understand that to play with the building rule you cannot use the playing board, correct? That and I when you do your building phase, how do you keep track of all the points. The rulebook mentions using build counters.....Where are they? Are they real?
  2. Bacabachaui Manager Emeritus

star 4
    You can use the playmat if you want on every game, though it is really not neccesary.

Most people keep track of Build Points in their head. It is pretty easy to do since you only use the initial 30 at setup and then they are gone, and tyou have to use up the rolled build points each turn. I use 6 sided dice to keep track of partially built units, turning the number face up of how much is spent already.

As for BP tracking, during setup, the person I am playing and I always call out progressivley as the build points add up. For example I start with an 8 build cost and say "8". He starts with a 5 cost and says "5", then puts out a 4 cost and says "9" (meaning total of 9 that he has put into play) Then I put out a 6 build cost and say "14" and we just so this until we both hit 30.

Sometimes, especially when I am really tired (or when I am closly watching my oponent who tends to be a bit inaccurate at times) I lose track but it just takes a second to add it up again.

Also, as far as force goes, a lot of people use a 12 sided die to keep track of it. You rarly build up more than 12 and if you do, you can just use a 6 to add to it on those rare occasions. A 20 sided has too many sides to look all over and for some reason the number I am looking for always "hides" :) .
  3. DamastaLukeSkywalker Jedi Knight

star 1
    Alright. Thanks. That makes more sense now. Did you find the rules hard to understand or fairly easy?
  4. Bacabachaui Manager Emeritus

star 4
    I found them fairly easy because I have been following the game since it was announced, and MJK was releasing the rules in smaller snippets each week. We had a week to digest each part and analyze it from various angles.
    Also, I have played 5 tcgs/ccgs before and am used to the general game terms and concepts.

I have heard a lot that the rules were hard to understand. I think they were trying to make them easier to learn the game in small parts and as a result, the person who just wanted to jump right in found the format confusing.
  5. Darksbane Jedi Knight

star 1
    I have found that the Magic spin-down d20's work great because you never have to hunt for the numbers like you do with regular dice.
  6. Bacabachaui Manager Emeritus

star 4
    Where do you get those? I have heard a lot about them.
  7. 1stAD Jedi Youngling

star 5
    I got one of those a while back in a Scrye or Inquest magazine, it has over 100 numbers or something. Pretty useful, though a regular d20 will do fine.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.