main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit How do you pronounce that?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Qel, May 6, 2015.

1. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    For "C'Baoth" I go with the audiobook interpretation; I think it sounds best: "Sah-Bay-Oth."

Ackbar's Fishsticks likes this.
  2. Tolvo

Tolvo Jedi Padawan star 1

Nov 28, 2014
    Quebows

3. Kenobi098

Kenobi098 Jedi Knight star 1

May 8, 2013
    For years after the thrawn trilogy I called it Kore-ooze-cant, til tpm came out. Per "The Begining" documentary from TPM Jake Lloyd did too.

4. Alpha-Red

Alpha-Red Chosen One star 7

Apr 25, 2004
    How many ways has "Kashyyyk" been pronounced in various sources? I just know that KOTOR pronounces it "cash-ick", while ROTS pronounces it "ca-sheek". Are there any other games or other sources that go one way or another, or have an entirely different pronounciation?

5. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Kazook

Dream-Thinker likes this.
  6. Alpha-Red

Apr 25, 2004
    lol, I saw a video posted in one of the old threads titled "Kazook Planet", but I haven't gotten that far yet in the Holiday Special and I don't want to spoil myself.

Hmm actually, I just looked at the behind-the-scenes section on Wookieepedia for Kashyyyk, and there's a subsection on pronunciation...which I guess partly answers my question. Somehow I missed seeing it earlier.

7. Daneira

Daneira Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2016
    It’s pronounced Wookiee Planet C.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nom von Anor and Alpha-Red like this.
  8. Darth Invictus

Darth Invictus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 8, 2016
    Vergere

Ver-jear(rhymes with bear).

Or Ver-tsere. With a soft t than s.

Lumiya

Loo-my-a. Or Lu-me-a. I pronounce it the former way.

Wyyrlok-Wire-lock. Or Warlock.

Jacen is easy to corrupt into the much more common Jason. So whenever reading the name, I always try to remember it’s a sen, not son.

Onimi I always pronounced with a soft i. Bin, but I’ve also heard it pronounced O-nee-me. But I pronounce it, O-ni-me.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2020
  9. Senpezeco

Senpezeco Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 27, 2014
    I very rarely listen to audiobooks, so I'm way behind many others here in Lit on the most commonly accepted ways to pronounce various names. Though my latest surprise actually came via the Mandalorian thread:
    I've always said it the latter way too! "Bakura" and "Jerjerrod" were discussions I've had here, as well.

As far as pet/favorite characters: I've heard "Tagge" said all sorts of ways over the years -- long a, short a, one syllable, two syllables, tag-EE, TAHG-uh -- and personally, in my head, I've always pronounced it like the German word Tage, but I know most people pronounce it like the English word tag, so that's how I usually say it out loud anymore.

love when an old first-page post speaks something into being over the years, but never quite in the way you'd expect it to come

darkspine10 and Dream-Thinker like this.
  10. Dream-Thinker

Dream-Thinker Jedi Master star 4

May 20, 2020
    For years I called the city Iziz from Tales of the Jedi like it was spelled: iz-iz or ehz-ehz (something like that).
    Then it showed up in TCW and it was pronounced Isis which I think is unfortunate but whatever. XD

Alpha-Red likes this.
  11. Alpha-Red

Apr 25, 2004
    Huh. I've always gone with "ver-jeer", "loo-mee-ah", "wir-lock", and "o-nee-mee". Never even occurred to me that anyone might pronounce them differently.

Ackbar's Fishsticks likes this.
  12. Daneira

Jun 30, 2016
    Mon Mothma's aide in Rebels pronounces it like "Chinchilla," and I was taken aback at the time because I say it more like they do in The Mandalorian. Also, this is why you need to watch with captions, you never miss a thing!

Last edited: Nov 25, 2020
  13. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    Mokivj

cthugha and DarthJaceus like this.
  14. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Generally, two Gs is pronounced the same as one G:

Brag vs Bragg
    Flag vs Flagg

And generally, adding an e at the end of a one-vowel word, changes it from "short" to "long"

(At least, that's what I recall from the "magic E" song in school).

Stag - Stage
    Wag - Wage

and so on.

So it should probably be pronounced with a long A, to rhyme with stage or wage, if it follows the aforementioned guidelines.

15. Daneira

Jun 30, 2016
    Tagge to me will always rhyme with Maggie, I don't care who says otherwise!

It's pronounced just like it's spelled, lol. Mo-kiv-juh

On a side note, I always think it's funny at the end of the Star Wars Explained youtube videos, the guy says "And here's a link for you to get a free Audible trial! I highly recommend listening to the audiobooks! They are so great!" and it's so funny because he obviously never listens to the audiobooks because he just spent the whole video mispronouncing everything.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2020
    Jeff_Ferguson and Iron_lord like this.
  16. FiveFireRings

FiveFireRings Jedi Master star 4

Nov 26, 2017
    "Tagge" for me always seemed like it would rhyme with "Haig" or "Hague". Dunno why. I was six when I decided that, so that probably has something to do with it.

Twie-lek or Twee-lek. Both are said within the same episodes of TCW and Rebels. One would guess the latter is the more proper as it's in line with the pseudo-French accents assigned to many members of the species, but both are acceptable.

Coincidentally my kids and and I just watched that Rebels episode where Chandrilla was pronounced a few hours ago!

Daneira likes this.
  17. KamNale

KamNale Jedi Master star 2

Feb 11, 2012
    Coleman Kcaj

18. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    I just say "**** it" and call him Coleman Jack

19. darkspine10

darkspine10 Chosen One star 8

Dec 7, 2014
    I'd say Cuh-Cadge, like playing castanets, mm yeah K-caj.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2020
  20. Alpha-Red

Apr 25, 2004
    I think I'd just go with "cadge", just blend the K and C together.

As for Tagge, I always assumed it was pronounced "tag".

21. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    I say "Tadge", just because it sounds more interesting. Also why I pronounce the J in Mokivj as a Y.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2020
  22. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    I say "quasson".

Mia Mesharad likes this.
  23. Ackbar's Fishsticks

Ackbar's Fishsticks Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 25, 2013
    Tarkin: "... and so, Your Majesty, I think the only thing left is to determine which senior officer should be dispatched to Proxima Prime."
    Palpatine: "Tagge!"
    Tagge: "Yes, Your Majesty?"
    Palpatine: "You're it!"

Last edited: Nov 27, 2020
  24. Nom von Anor

Nom von Anor Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 7, 2012
    No one cares about Coleman Kcaj !!
    (Yay I got to say it again!)

Last edited: Dec 1, 2020
  25. FiveFireRings

FiveFireRings Jedi Master star 4

Nov 26, 2017
    My kids and I were just looking up the survivors of order 66 and I had totally forgotten that Kcaj was one of 'em. And we've just taken to saying that good ol' Jack Coleman could just come in at any time and save everyone.

It amuses us. It's a pandemic and we're all stuck at home together, so cut us some slack.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2020
    Barriss_Coffee and Nom von Anor like this.