main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

How Do You Rate Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull?

Discussion in 'Lucasfilm Ltd. In-Depth Discussion' started by Tyi-Maet_Nefer, May 24, 2008.

?

How Do You Rate Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull?

Poll closed Mar 22, 2012.
  1. 10 out of 10

19.7%
  2. 9 out of 10

26.8%
  3. 8 out of 10

23.9%
  4. 7 out of 10

9.2%
  5. 6 out of 10

6.3%
  6. 5 out of 10

6.3%
  7. 4 out of 10

2.8%
  8. 3 out of 10

0.7%
  9. 2 out of 10

0.7%
  10. 1 out of 10

3.5%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tyi-Maet_Nefer

Tyi-Maet_Nefer Jedi Master star 6

Jun 17, 2005
    As requested by Gobi. :D

2. Gobi-1

Gobi-1 Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 22, 2002
    Thanks for your help.

I couldn't decide between a seven or an eight so I cut the film some slack and gave it an eight.

3. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    I settled for a nine. After having a couple days to really allow the film to sink in, I finally came to the conclusion that I really liked it. I wasn't sure what to think at first and the downtime to mill it over did some good. It was a solid Indy film which offers you a heck of a good time. The only thing that bothered me was the ending and that's the reason I settled for a nine instead of something higher.

Yes, a nine is still high, but what can I say? I really enjoyed it! :D

4. Jaina_and_Jag

Jaina_and_Jag Jedi Master star 5

Apr 19, 2003
    I'd say 9 out of 10. It definitely wasn't perfect, but it was pretty darn awesome all the same! :D

5. General Kenobi

General Kenobi Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 31, 1998
    Probably 8 or 9. I voted 9.

It's not quite Raiders, but pretty much delivers what you could hope for in an Indy film 27 years later.

6. Go-Mer-Tonic

Go-Mer-Tonic Jedi Youngling star 6

Aug 22, 1999
    Just got back from seeing it again, and it's officially a 9. :)

7. Myriad_Daydreams

Myriad_Daydreams Jedi Master star 4

Jun 22, 2007
    Hesitant between 8 or 9 . . . and went with 9 :D

8. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    Very solid 8 for me. I'd rate my two favorites - Temple and Crusade - each a 9, and in many ways Skull seemed like a cross of these two film's styles. Superb summer blockbuster, and more importantly, a great Indy adventure that combined some old school flavor with an equally appropriate degree of fresh direction.

9. Veloz

Veloz Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 30, 2004
    9 out of 10 for me :)

10. WookieeWarrior9

WookieeWarrior9 Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 5, 2007
    Agreed. The first time I saw it, I would have said 7.

11. Tabula Rasa

Tabula Rasa Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 8, 1998
    I'm thinking a juicy 9 after a second viewing.

12. Veloz

Veloz Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 30, 2004
    Indeed, my 9 was confirmed after the second viewing :D

13. PeteTB

PeteTB Jedi Youngling

Apr 17, 2002
    1. Raiders - 10
    2. Crusade - 9.5
    3. Kingdom - 9
    4. Temple - 8.5

14. Amon_Amarth

Amon_Amarth Force Ghost star 6

Jan 27, 2005
  15. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    I gave it an 8. I still have yet to see it again, and I think I'll like it more a second time. So as it was a 7 on first viewing and thinking about it makes me like it more, I think an 8 is where it'll land. Which is a good grade, mind you, very good.

-sj loves kevin spacey

16. Jango10

Jango10 Jedi Master star 5

Sep 22, 2002
    I tossed out most of the flaws and focused on the pros, and gave it an 8.

17. Knight-Ander

Knight-Ander Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 19, 2002
    I gave it an 8, too.

18. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    8 out of 10, I might have gone as low as 7.5.

19. jedijason330

jedijason330 Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 11, 2005
    I went 9 out of 10. That monkey bit was what pulled it down for me. Only seen it once, so with more viewings, I could rate it higher.

20. Yodas-evil-twin

Yodas-evil-twin Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 3, 2005
  21. Darth_Hydra

Darth_Hydra Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 14, 2001
    10 out of 10 even though I'd rank it as my third favorite of the series.

22. CaptSparrow

CaptSparrow Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 5, 2006
    I give it a 4, nowhere near the quality of storytelling I and III accomplished. The things that made it bad for me was the flying saucer in the end (what's next Indiana Jones and the Attack of the Aliens?), also the fact that none of the characters even seemed to be likeable (Mac, Mutt, Marion) they seemed like they weren't enjoying themselves. For about half, maybe even more, of the movie you didn't even know what exactly they were looking for and what the crystal skull was, and in the end Indy and co. got nothing out of it, nothing at all, not even proof. Not even like Last Crusade where they didn't get the Grail but where Henry was healed. The action scenes seemed dragged out and not even that tense, where one mistake could kill you as in the originals. And the music, not very noticeable, not like the scores of Raiders and Last Crusade that are memorable (Raiders March, Basket Chase, Desert Chase, Marion's Theme, Scherzo, Belly of Steel Beast, Penitent Man Will Pass, and Escape from Venice to name a few). I listened to samples of it, it all seemed too ambient, not a action-adventure score.

Seems Spielberg got a hand on the script, too much, where he crossed his love of alien movies with Indy. The entire movie seemed like a cross between X-Files and Indiana Jones, instead of Kingdom of the Crystal Skull, I'm going to Indiana Jones: I Want to Know.

23. jacemathem

jacemathem Jedi Master star 5

Oct 3, 2003
    A lot of you people who are giving it 8+ ratings are still high on the fact that there's a new Indy film and you finally got to see it. Sure, it was entertaining. But after a few months, you'll look back on it, having rewatched it a couple times, and realize it was nothing more than a rushed reunion special. We went as a group of 20 to watch it, we all came out disappointed. My childhood still hurts.

5/10

24. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    Ok, well why do you care whether other people enjoy it or not? Some people here like it more than I do, and more power to them. Why should I try to make someone not like something they like?

-sj loves kevin spacey

25. jacemathem

jacemathem Jedi Master star 5

Oct 3, 2003
    Oh I'm not trying to make anyone do anything. I'm trying to make people aware that their judgement is affected by a dominating variable (all the hype). Basically, it's really too early to "rate" KotCS among the others because we're all caught up in the spectacle that there's a new Indy film out after 20 years. People gave The Phantom Menace "11/10" when it came out, started to argue about Jar Jar after a month or so, but now that the dust has settled they've come to realize the movie wasn't all that great. When all the hype has settled, and you're sitting in your living room one day with the DVD saying, "Let's watch Crystal Skull! I haven't seen it in a long time!"... you'll be able to make a fair, independent, and untainted judgement of the film.

You'll find the split among likers and dislikers between those who clamored after every bit of information and marketing like water in the desert and those who knew it was coming but didn't pay attention until it came out.

To those who will inevitably get upset with me and retort, realize I struck a nerve.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.