main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Chic, IL How do you rate "Revenge"?

Discussion in 'MidWest Regional Discussion' started by JodoKast74, May 19, 2005.

?

How do you rate "Revenge"?

Poll closed Mar 24, 2012.
  1. The best Star Wars movie...ever! 4 stars!

40.0%
  2. Eh, not too bad. 3 stars

47.3%
  3. Well, could have been better. 2 stars

12.7%
  4. What was Lucas thinking! 1 star

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Worst...movie...ever....!!

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JodoKast74

JodoKast74 Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 10, 2001
  2. UCLAJediMaster

UCLAJediMaster Jedi Master star 4

Feb 16, 2001
    my new order:

ESB
    ANH
    ROTJ
    ROTS
    AOTC
    TPM

basically i enjoyed the last hour of ROTS alot, however i think you can take the first 40 minutes. even the dooku duel was weak.

just a little to much ridiculous humor and bad acting in the first half of the movie.

the last half hour rocked though... AMAZING.

i din't like Vader's frankenstein esque rise from his operation table though.

3. Le_Penguin

Le_Penguin Jedi Youngling star 4

Nov 26, 2000
    Today is the first day of the rest of my life.

My first impression is that it's an impressive and overall fitting ending. I liked the fact that the romantic dialogue was pared down from EpII, but I think I liked AOTC's twisting story of intrigue and secret mechanations over ROTS's "nailing the coffin shut" forwardness.

That said, the guy they found to look like a young Peter Cushing was a dead ringer.

-Le Penguin
    "What do we do now?"

4. UCLAJediMaster

Feb 16, 2001
    oh yeah for sure!!

i grab my dad and go oh look thats the death star.. then they cut and i go TARKIN!!

so cool..

i also liked when they show obi wan picking up anakin's lightsaber...

lucas did a good job of tieing up the loose ends...

5. kosure

kosure Jedi Master star 3

Mar 5, 2004
    ESB
    ANH
    ROTS
    ROTJ
    AOTC
    TPM

Thats what its looking like these days.

Ps. Did th virgin birth thing get awnsered? cause if it did, I missed it.

6. MrShiny

MrShiny Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 24, 2002
    Where there was the allusion to the Sith who could cause the midichlorians to create life - suggesting Vader was created by the Sith in the first place.

And what about that whole film noir Sipher Dias stuff from AOTC? What's the deal with that?

The middle needed tightening - no action to break things up until order 66. That's the problem with all the prequels - they lost that Saturday matinee serial format of regularly placed action throughout.

Still, not bad, and I bet I'd like it even more if it were the only prequel I saw. In fact, it almost seemed like this is the prequel Lucas had the concept for, and the others were just to fill out a trilogy.

The look is wonderful though - it's amazing to see how much they have continued to advance.

7. MusicTrooper

MusicTrooper Jedi Master star 4

Feb 22, 2005
    There was much to like and much to make one cringe.

music was better overall, but the end credit music did not work too well.

Amazing special effects, but sometimes they did not add to the story, and sometimes were so amazing that I would find myself looking for the story.

I must also note, that I overheard many a comment,
    that were very critical of this film.

There will be much discussion on this film,
    much more than TPM or ATC

oh, and the Chicago Force rules the universe!
    and truely made me want to stand in line with
    them in the future.

thanks everyone,

Ed

ps
    I must see the film a few more times to put things in order.

8. Lothos

Lothos Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 28, 2002
    Ask anyone who sat remotely near me, I weeped like a baby.

My final order (Unless in the extremely unlikely event we get VII VIII and IX.)

ROTS
    ROTJ
    ESB
    ANH
    AOTC
    TPM.

So sayth the cry-baby.

I had to give the top spot to ROTS because it is the second movie that I've ever seen, that has actually made me cry.

9. UCLAJediMaster

Feb 16, 2001
    there were too many special effects...

i swear to god lucas just does it to show off. do we really need to see the astromechs getting out of the fighters?

do we need to see obi wan dock to the blockade runner?

10. Fisting_Furbies

Fisting_Furbies Jedi Youngling

Apr 29, 2005
    I sadly found the movie anticlimatic, I mean so many of the duels could have been so much more dramatic. I was expected a really dark and dramatic and sad ending like in ESB, but didn't recieve one. And compared to the other movies I found the music to be unmemorable...however I didn't cringe as much in ROTS as I did in TPM and AOTC so it was an overall plus...just still nowhere near the original trilogy.

11. Jedi_Aero-Stone

Jedi_Aero-Stone Jedi Youngling

May 5, 2005
    I didnt cringe at all for TPM and especially not for AOTC..that being said, ROTS was perfection in every way! What an excellent way to move into A New Hope! The SFX were stunning and I could never say.."too much"

THANK YOU George Lucas..THANK YOU! YOu knew what you were doing ALL ALONG! BRAVO!!!!

ROTS: A+ !!!
    AOTC: A
    ESB: A-
    ANH: B+
    TPM: B
    ROTJ: C+

12. YodaDaMax

YodaDaMax Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 11, 2003
    I really can't rank the movies yet. I'm still too much in awe at the pure majesty of having seen ROTS. But, I'll admit that the first half of the movie wasn't all that great--the opening space battle was amazing, but they kept it too calm and quiet.

But then the second half completely blew me away. It more than made up for any problems elsewhere in the film. It was pure magic.

The 3 years of waiting were completely worth it.

13. Fisting_Furbies

Fisting_Furbies Jedi Youngling

Apr 29, 2005
    How can u rate AOTC above ESB and ANH.....you must either be really young, or just don't remember the your first time seeing the old movies. There is no way anything in AOTC was as mind blowing as the end of ESB.

14. Lt_Dak-Ferris

Lt_Dak-Ferris Jedi Youngling star 3

May 26, 2003
    I can't believe I'm saying this, but right now I think ROTS is the best of all 6 films. I never thought I'd say this. I like I + II, but they were not as good as the OT, IMO.

But ROTS is the real deal. I almost don't trust myself with this yet. Maybe I'll feel differently after I see it again on Saturday.

15. Schph_Gochi

Schph_Gochi Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 17, 2002
    Believe it or not...I just got back home from the premier about 20 minutes ago...and the first thing I wanted to see was overall reaction...then I gotta get some sleep...

ROTS left me flat...
    To my own horror....I found that midway through the movie that I didn't care....and that simply is NOT me. I had wads of Kleenex ready for wiping tears...and found that I shed none...I left the theater feeling completely flat....nothing...

For me...there just wasn't enough "character".....It was all bells and whistles (FX) and no substance....save for the one "wow" moment that I did get was the expression of horror and hopelessness on Anakin's face when the Vader face mask went on after he was put back together. I just got a kick in the gut from that look on his face...

The only time I felt even an urge to shed a tear was the very end with Owen and Beru looking at the twin sunset...I felt a twinge then.

I felt that a LOT of "character" was cut in order to include more action...don't get me wrong...Obi Wan and Anakin's duel was awesome.....and so was the Palpatine and Yoda one..but the rest (Obi-Wan and Grevious, Anakin and Dooku) just didn't cut it. And speaking of cut...I felt they cut a lot of the scenes...too many!

Right now, I would say that ROTS is on the bottom of my list...I liked Phantom Menace better....

One thing that I will admit is that prior to seeing the other movies I did NOT read the novelizations..
    but...for ROTS...I did read Stover's novelization....which is AWESOME....

And ...I think I will have to see ROTS again to see if I "see more" the second time around....cause the first time around left me vacant.

16. jps78

jps78 Jedi Knight star 1

Apr 27, 2005
    Well my rank looks like this

ESB
    ROTS
    ROTJ
    ANH
    AOTC
    TPM

And why I have Jedi ahead Hope is i think Sith nakes Jedi a much better movie

17. MusicTrooper

MusicTrooper Jedi Master star 4

Feb 22, 2005
    Hi Phyllis,

ref your post,

The only time I felt even an urge to shed a tear was the very end with Owen and Beru looking at the twin sunset...I felt a twinge then.

I can not agree with you more. But then, this moment
    was filmed in the style of ANH and was meant to lead
    us there......this Lucas can still do.

To my fellow fans who really liked the film,
    I very much respect and appreciate your views,

However, I am pretty sure this film as a film,
    will not stand the test of time.

I could only enjoy it moment by moment,
    saying, that was a great effect, or I bet that
    actor was happy with their work in that scene,
    but
    This film should have had a HUGE emotional arc,
    and well,
    the scene of Darth and the Youngsters, hhmmm, I
    should have been feeling anger, hate , frustration.....oh, and I was because the scene was
    one of the dullest in the film and should have been so very much more.
    I simply did not beleive that Darth was Darth......and I fault Lucas for this, not the actors.

well, enough ranting for now,
    am off to see it again.......non-digital to look
    for differences.

Ed

ps, Thanks Physillis for everything, especially
    for saving me and my friend a couple of GREAT seats.

18. flippingyodacola

flippingyodacola Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 27, 2003
    Having seen it twice now, I really dont think its that great of a movie...

19. Jedi_Aero-Stone

Jedi_Aero-Stone Jedi Youngling

May 5, 2005
    I have to disagree..it IS that great of a movie..there are so many WOW "emotional" moments that I lost count. The special effects made the movie that much greater.. the most incredibly tragic, and sad and emotional of the ENTIRE Star Wars Saga. It was nearly everything I had anticipated and hoped for. A solid 9/10. Lucas is a Maestro and my emotions were the strings of the Concerto he played for 2 hours and 15 minutes of tension, grief, pity and sorrow...pity for Anakin...grief for Padme.. and sorrow for Obi Won... so many gasps went up in the theater from grown men, it was amazing...

I felt for every single person in that movie...

Not gonna stand the test of time?? LOL...

20. DarthAstuart

DarthAstuart Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 28, 2000
    i'm one of the biggest prequel haters on the planet, and i must say, i really enjoyed ROTS. i hope it's a legitimate enjoyment that will carry through each time i see it and not the first-time thrill of "OMG it's star wars!" i also will sort through my expectations versus the reality for a long time.

but for the first time since these prequels began, i felt like everyone involved really cared about what they were doing and put themselves into it--the performances, the FX, the direction, even the writing. there were plenty of bad lines that I didn't even notice because they were delivered with conviction--which is what makes all the other SW movies witih clunker dialogue so great as well. (i'm thinking ANH most of all.) and there were plenty of show-off FX flourishes and moments, but also so much that felt so right, that really worked as visuals and story and impact. that opening sequence before we even see ani and obi where their ships are just flying--such great stuff. it had heart, it had vibrancy, it was fun and thrilling.

the whole thing just had a momentum, an energy, that was undeniable, and that was STAR WARS, and that to me neither other prequel had. i bought into anakin's arc; i loved obi-wan's swashbuckle; i even felt for padme. it all WORKED for me. parts of it bothered me, but parts of ROTJ bother me, and it's still STAR WARS.

i felt like this was a great story told well that I had some problems with, and not a pointless story told poorly that I can reject as idiotic out of hand. it is such a relief to feel that way after giving up on george lucas completely as a filmmaker.

again, i could be totally wrong, and i reserve the right to let this film be crappy after the second or fifth viewing. but that's how I feel right now. best of the prequels by far, close to ROTJ in quality, still not touching ESB or ANH.

21. Famsen

Famsen Jedi Youngling

May 9, 2005
    I was expecting much more emotion from all the charactors. Something was missing and I am not sure what it is yet.
    The first 1/2 hour was so slow and the rest moved too quickly.
    My opinion is that the story of this episode needed to be told in two movies. Anakins turn was too easy, too rushed.

22. Famsen

Famsen Jedi Youngling

May 9, 2005
    That whole "she lost her will to live" thing was ridiculous. I do not believe for a minute that the charactor of Padme would have lost her will to live knowing she is about to give birth. It is a mother's instinct to protect her children. That offended me as a mother.

23. ObiWanBottari

ObiWanBottari Jedi Youngling star 1

May 19, 2005
    I rated it as pretty good.
    I liked the political aspects of it, in that it was hopeful when you kept in mind what would happen in IV, V, VI. It did have a number of flaws, many already noted.
    I enjoyed the beginning, which harked back to the often silly asides that gave a special flavor to the original trilogy, but that got dropped when things got melodramatically serious. This actually played out pretty well.
    There was an awful lot of business going on CG wise, often too much to take in visually. But the big CG problem was the balloon like character of Yoda's head, which changed proportion to his body in many of the closeup scenes, then became proportionate as he was falling, flipping, and making his good and bad landings. I think the earlier puppet was far more believable looking than this "expanding and contracting head" Yoda.
    Also, I thought Anakin was a little too goody two shoes for most of the movie, which made his sudden change into the wife beater unbelievable; the change to the dark side should have been clued a bit earlier by some other tics. (Just my opinion).
    Was Yoda's mention of Qui-Gon Jinn's return as a "presence" a teaser for some Lucas surprise for the fans? I don't recall any mention of Qui-Gon in the earlier movies, so I am betting there will be a little soemthing like "Obi Wan of the Desert" in your Lucasfilm future. Perhaps some older actor that looks like a cross between McGregor and Guiness will be offered a job opportunity?
    We can only hope.

24. Dex_Luminara

Dex_Luminara Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 21, 2004
    Ok, my brain is fried, from a day of work immediately following the showing but here's my take (and this is my first real attempt to analytically critique a film)...

I read a review somewhere once that hit it on the head for me. They said they "didn't think that Lucas had a movie like that left in him!" I wholeheartedly agree. I walked away saying that far moreso than the other Prequels that ROTS FELT like a SW movie to me.

Let's start simply...we don't need heavy character development because that is absolutely all we had for the first two movies. ROTS was the end game, Lucas had already wasted faaaar too much time in the previous films giving us those quirky "ha ha they said that in the OT" moments so you could have a connection to these characters. This was the movie where "events" had to happen. Fights had to be fought, lives had to be lost, truth had to be revealed, and hope had to be broken....and born again.

As for the FX I didn't think it was any more FX heavy than the previous two prequels. I did have one gripe with them that I'll get to later.

And as for the editing, given that the core characters were often on opposite ends of the galaxy, it had to be cut back and forth rather quickly. You were SUPPPOSED to feel lost by the speed in which the entire galaxy seemed to be hurtling towards domination. You were never supposed to catch your breath. To feel what the characters were feeling you had to experience events as they did, i.e as soon as you feel you've conquered one moment you are thrown face-first into another seemingly unbeatable battle. I was there, I was in the moment, if you weren't then I can only assume your were far to weary to take it in fairly, or you went not really understanding that there was no more time to loiter on characters that were either completely irrelevant/indifferent to the story as a whole or had already been given 2 films worth of development. Honestly, the first 30 minutes of the film was purely to RE-establish the brotherly bond between Anakin and Obi-Wan. And just to offer a comparison, in the OT we were never really given tons of "growth" moments with Obi-Wan's character either. He wasn't even ultimately in a large chunk of the movie. We filled in the blank parts of his nobility and history as we needed to and saw fit. Now here he is with all his past laid at our feet and it's not enough?? Don't seek totality...perfection is an unattaianble goal.

I only have two real gripes with the movie. One of them, I have had since the first prequel, and that is that whenever Lucas films a really fast paced one-on-one fight, he tends to go all CG. Now I love digital effects, don't get me wrong, but at high speeds, the action that you are supposed to be immersed in tends to become a bit of a blur (as in the Obi-wan fighting Grievous on the wheelbike scene). And the second is as I've stated before, I hate that Padme dies of a broken heart. Yes, it makes it more of a romantic notion and tragic, but only in the MOST fairy tale of ways. He had two perfectly acceptable forms of reasoning for her death at his fingertips and he chose to go with a "pretty" one. It could have been simple childbirth complications, or it could have been the result of Anakin's force choke. But instead he went with the droid explaining that "she has lost the will to live". That line made me cringe on the inside.

After having had time for it to settle I can now say that this was ultimately my 3rd favorite SW film. Following ESB, and New Hope in that order. The finale of Return of the Jedi will always hold a special place in my heart and memories, but as an entire film/story I really liked Revenge of the Sith and enjoyed the ride that it took me on. Through all the heart-wrenching moments, through all the excellent battles with true masters of the force, and down that path of decades old memories as each loose end was wrapped up with finality. ROTS was good storytelling (with occasional dry dialogue, but

25. UCLAJediMaster

Feb 16, 2001
    i brought my parents along with me and both of them couldn't understand how a mother would not hold on longer for her children.

that opening space battle was really bad in my opinion... best space battle in the saga: ANH death star battle.

buzz droids? quasi cyborgs with whooping coughs? artoo becoming jerry lewis? and way to much elevator shaft stuff...

but overall a good movie.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.