main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Chic, IL How do you rate "Revenge"?

Discussion in 'MidWest Regional Discussion' started by JodoKast74, May 19, 2005.

?

How do you rate "Revenge"?

Poll closed Mar 24, 2012.
  1. The best Star Wars movie...ever! 4 stars!

40.0%
  2. Eh, not too bad. 3 stars

47.3%
  3. Well, could have been better. 2 stars

12.7%
  4. What was Lucas thinking! 1 star

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Worst...movie...ever....!!

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JodoKast74

JodoKast74 Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 10, 2001
    Hey all, typing ya'll from Cheddar Land. Just saw the movie last night. Well, can't believe I'm saying this, but I hated the damn movie. It'like Lucas had a 6 hour movie idea and crammed it into 2. Way too cheezy acting, even for SW standards. Maybe my opinion will change after seeing it again but the movie actually angered me(the dark side?) But too many loose ends, or way too easy explanations for the loose ends. Here's my order of SW movies.

ESB
    ANH
    ROTJ
    AOTC
    ROTS
    TPM

2. MusicTrooper

MusicTrooper Jedi Master star 4

Feb 22, 2005
    Hi,
    JodoKast74,

ref.....but I hated the damn movie

yikes!

If so, then it does not look like you voted yet...

anyway, hope you had good sound at least,

I am off to my third viewing tonight...(IMAX)

hoping for better sound and that if I can
    hear the film it might improve my out-look
    as well......for now, I am still in the 2 star
    range.

Ed

3. MaraJadeSkywalkerFF

MaraJadeSkywalkerFF Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 27, 2000
    I am now ready to give my ranking:

1. ESB
    2. ANH
    3. ROTJ (close in rank to ANH)
    4. ROTS
    5. TPM
    6. AOTC (worst of them all)

4. MrShiny

MrShiny Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 24, 2002
    I'm guessing Dagobah seems familar to Luk because of the presence of Yoda, which was one of his first experiences.

5. jps78

jps78 Jedi Knight star 1

Apr 27, 2005
    well after seeing it this after noone for the fourth time and reading alot of posts over this wknd ive come to conclusion that if your a diehard fan you hated this movie(beside myself) and if your a casul or not so diehard you loved it i myself enjoyed it a great deal the pace problem i had after the first viewing goes away when you see it a second time every time ive seen it Ewan an Ian performances still blow me away the only really problem i have is the editing there was some stuff wich just shouls have been left in i just got done reading the script on-line GGJ does speak with yoda about become one that should have been left in also i think GL should have left in atleast on scene with teh senators creating the rebillion besides that no problems with film
    one more thing will people please drop all this talk about plageuis or sideous conceving anakin everyone has there openion but come on think about it hard its just not possible

know if you excuse me i have to go back watching AOTC on fox

6. YodaDaMax

YodaDaMax Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 11, 2003
    Ok, I'm just not agreeing with any generalizations that have been made so far about who likes or doesn't like this movie. I am a fairly die hard fan, My room is nothing but Star Wars, I've read nearly all the novels, I scour all the materials, play all the games(no matter how crappy they are) but I absolutely LOVE ROTS.

Why do I get the feeling that somebody else will come up with some other generalization that I'll disprove?

7. Sithman

Sithman Jedi Grand Master star 7

Jul 6, 1999
    I don't think you disproved anything, son.

Sometimes it's better just to state your opinion, let others state their opinions, and move along. Your arguments aren't going to change anyone's opinion about ROTS, nor will their comments change your opinion.

So please, settle down and agree to disagree.

Oh, and I loved ROTS too. :)

8. YodaDaMax

YodaDaMax Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 11, 2003
    Ah, my apologies. Disprove was indeed to strong of a word. I meant points out the opposite. Either way, I go against the seen trend.

9. DrJawa

DrJawa Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 22, 2005
    1. ESB
    2. ANH/RotS
    3. RotJ/AotC
    4. TPM

Though the ties at the 2 and 3 position could change depending on the day and my moods but best and worst are pretty much in stone for me.

10. nalan1138

nalan1138 Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 2, 2002
    Well I saw ROTS for the second time on saturday nite with my perpetual date for life Dex.

All I can add to my earlier post is that i liked it a lot more the 2nd time. We saw it in a Kodak DLP theater in Elk Grove Village, and it had sony DTS sound.

The thing that really improved it for me was the sound, the thundering bass really puts me into the SW mood. If you have not seen it with a kick a$$ surround sound theater, do it, i think it may help in experiencing it the way it is meant to be.

I know it helped me to enjoy a movie I was not quite sold on.

11. jps78

jps78 Jedi Knight star 1

Apr 27, 2005
    well actually i should recoup my statement alittle its about 50/50 half od diehard fans love it and half hate it

12. Bosh_Talk

Bosh_Talk Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 29, 2000
    I've been trying to find a pattern of what "type" of fan likes or dislikes this movie, and honestly, there doesn't seem to be a pattern. Obviously there was a trend for younger fans to like the PT (though there are certainly exceptions to the rule), but for RotS, it seems to be all over the board. Liking or disliking the I & II doesn't seem to be a prerequisite for liking or disliking III. Maybe a re-stated poll would work better....

D'

13. MusicTrooper

Feb 22, 2005
    Hi,

Just saw my 3-rd viewing,

1-digital
    1-non
    1-IMAX

IMAX best so far as,

the theatre was dark enought to see the
    film better,

the sound was better, thought still not GREAT

both helped me to like the film more,
    though I found more to be critical about.

Thanks Nalan1138, am off to Elk Grove to
    see it in Sony DTS,

and strongly recomend to all, that finding
    good sound and additional viewings, will help
    you know more.

oh, my current rating,

ANH = ESB = ROTJ

which are better than

TPM = ATOC = ROTS

I used equal because the "certain points of view"
    principal

tends to equal them out____for example,

ANH___best film ever, because without it
    there is no Star Wars.

ESB___best Sequel ever, which ensures a future.

ROTJ___best Triology ever is created by this film.

The most basic form of support needs three strong
    legs to stand on, and it is there strenght that
    allows the prequels to exist at all.

Ed

14. UCLAJediMaster

UCLAJediMaster Jedi Master star 4

Feb 16, 2001
  15. DarthAstuart

DarthAstuart Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 28, 2000
    i'm just so happy after six years to be talking about a star wars movie I actually like.

i personally feel like a lot of people have very nitpicky problems with the film, and I guess for some, that sort of thing can really ruin a movie. for me, if there are lots of small problems but I can embrace the whole enterprise as good because of the overwhelming good parts, then I will forgive the mistakes as just that--mistakes.

there also doesn't seem to be much that everyone hates universally, except maybe padme--she seems to be getting lots of hate, at least in this thread.

16. Schph_Gochi

Schph_Gochi Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 17, 2002
    ...and Scott...
    you and Dex DO make a lovely couple...

17. Bosh_Talk

Bosh_Talk Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 29, 2000
    After a couple more viewings, I have to reitterate that when Palpatine's voice changes into Jason Robards, that's my pet peeve.

Bosh

18. Lt_Dak-Ferris

Lt_Dak-Ferris Jedi Youngling star 3

May 26, 2003
    I saw ROTS a second time this weekend. With my last post I never put all 6 in order. Here goes.

ROTS
    ROTJ
    ESB
    ANH
    AOTC
    TPM

I like them all, but I defnitely think that I + II aren't as good as the OT. However, I don't think they are light years away like most of the over 30 types on this board think.

I still see ROTS as the all time best. We'll see if that changes with further viewings.

I found it really hard to rate the OT. I love them all so much that it is hard to put them in order.

Someone mentioned rottentomatoes.com around here and I checked it out. It's a site that gathers all the reviews of a film and averages them out to achieve a rating. They had a really neat article on how all six films have been reviewed here:

rottentomatoes

The article is so cool that I'm going to sum it up, however. As you might expect, the PT has receieved less favorable reviews than the OT. The OT . . .

Original Trilogy Tomatometer Scores Based on Current Active Critics:
    80% - Return of the Jedi
    98% - The Empire Strikes Back
    93% - Star Wars
    Average Tomatometer: 90%

Whereas the PT . . .
    Prequels Tomatometer Scores Based on Current Active Critics:
    83% - Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of the Sith
    65% - Star Wars Episode II: Attack of the Clones
    62% - Star wars Episode I: The Phantom Menace
    Average Tomatometer: 70%

This would seem to bear out what most older fans feel. Empire is the best, ANH is pretty good, and ROTJ is just OK. I + II are crap, III is good but not quite ESB.

But hold on there people. These are current ACTIVE critics, who saw the films originally as kids. How were the original films reviewed when they were actually released?

Tomatometer Scores for Original Trilogy During Original Release Dates:
    31% - Return of the Jedi
    52% - The Empire Strikes Back
    79% - Star Wars
    Average Tomatometer: 54%

The average is actually below the PT average. Furthermore, ESB is rated below both TPM and AOTC! ROTJ was beaten about the face and shoulders with a stick.

This certainly seems to support my personal belief that the reason so many older fans hate the PT is because of viewing it through adult eyes versus the eyes of a child.

Anyway, I found the whole article fascinating. It amazes me that ESB's rating could go from a 52% to a 98%. You can understand why Lucas doesn't give a crap about what critics say, even the ones who love the saga the most. Why should he care what people say about TPM? 15-20 years from now people will love it.

19. MusicTrooper

Feb 22, 2005
    Great post Dan,

I am one of those older types,

and even though I try to be objective,
    my heart always ends up remembering
    the excitement around the OT.

On a personal note, I remember many friends
    of mine......really not likeing ESB, but that
    over time, everyone seemed to change their mind.

ROTS is really a good film and fits the SAGA
    pretty well, but for me, after three viewings,
    I still just do not think that Lucas handled
    the turning of Anakin to the dark side well
    at all, It feels absolutely flat....and so,
    I just forgive it, wrote my own scene and
    view this as an error in story telling.

I think I have Lucas on taped somewhere as saying,
    why live in someone elses reality when you can
    invent your own.

Ed

20. DarthAstuart

DarthAstuart Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 28, 2000
    ah, but lt. dan, you're forgetting that many of the critics who reviewed Eps I-III in initial release are also those who grew up on the originals. so it's possible the higher scores are based on fond attachment to the OT, and not on a vacuum, as the original films were reviewed in.

I'd also like to hear lots more about their scoring system to come up with these numbers. fact is that there are lots more outlets, and lots more access to outlets, than there was twenty-odd years ago. so how many reviews did they truly seek out to come up with those numbers? if it's less than 100, then I'm gonna cry foul.

21. buzz57

buzz57 Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 15, 2002
    I give the movie 3.5 out of 5. How can Padme just give up on life, that's alot of crap. And It disappointed me that we didn't see a ghost of Qui-Gon trying to persuade Anakin to mend his ways.

22. MusicTrooper

Feb 22, 2005
    ref

trying to persuade Anakin to mend his ways

hhhhhhmmmmmmmmm

Why didn't Obi Wan try this at the end?

Why did Obi Wan, just walk away?

Why didn't Obi Wan, get a med-kit and or
    try to save Anakin?

or at least capture him and bring him to Yoda?

Of course, I know where the story has to go,
    thus, I just was hoping for more than what I saw.

sorry, another big hole in the film for me,
    I am sure there are answers, perhaps I am
    just too demanding.

Ed

23. Lt_Dak-Ferris

Lt_Dak-Ferris Jedi Youngling star 3

May 26, 2003
    Quoth Dartha:

"ah, but lt. dan, you're forgetting that many of the critics who reviewed Eps I-III in initial release are also those who grew up on the originals."

Actually, I didn't.

Quoth Lt. Dak:

"These are current ACTIVE critics, who saw the films originally as kids."

The original article makes the same point.

Reading is FUNdamental!

I didn't bother to read about their entire scoring system. For ROTS, they have 199 reviews logged and from what I can tell they are from every major media outlet you can imagine. They also have a special section called "cream of the crop" that just looks at reviews from the biggies like Newsweek, Entertainment Weekly, The Boston Globe, The Sun-Times, and so on.

24. midimanipulator

midimanipulator Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 3, 2005
    i'm just going to pretend the prequels are a very expensive "what if". Perhaps with better editing i'll change my mind.

25. shwanzi

shwanzi Jedi Youngling star 3

May 25, 2002
    You can read my full review by clicking here. Look for the post by 'shwanzi' (it's the fourth one down).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.