main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit How Do You Read Your Star Wars Comics?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Pearlsaber, May 9, 2015.

?

How Do You Read Your Star Wars Comics?

1. Hard Copy

59.6%
  2. Digital

19.3%
  3. Both

21.1%
  1. Pearlsaber

Pearlsaber Jedi Master star 4

Jan 29, 2013
    I have always preferred having a physical book in my hand. I think it's important to support your local comic book store. I still go once a week to get the new SW comic.

But, I recently discovered Marvel Unlimited and I've had the pure joy of reading many SW comics that I've never read. For the first time, I'm reading KOTOR, Dark Empire, and the Legacy series without spending a lot of $$$ purchasing back issues. I know they are considered non-canon "Legends" now, but they are still just as fun to me!

So, I'm curious.... How do you read your comics and why?

2. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Trade only.

3. Cheerios4u98

Cheerios4u98 Jedi Knight star 3

Mar 4, 2015
    TPB only. I can't stand digital copies. And I don't like individual issues either because it feels like half the pages are advertisements.

4. Kylun

Kylun Jedi Master star 2

Sep 26, 2008
    Trade only, when I like something enough to buy physical copies. I'm also enjoying my Marvel Unlimited subscription, been great for catching up (on non-SW stuff).

5. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    That's because they are!

6. TK-421 Is vader

TK-421 Is vader Jedi Master star 3

Jan 5, 2015
    Waited.....so long.Months.....still ahead.waiting for trades is TORTUUUUUREE. Jedi Ben whats the secret?how do you do this?I cant resist spoiler threads.....

7. Pua

Pua Jedi Master

Mar 28, 2010
    Digital. Being in Spain, it's the easiest way to read new comics every Wednesday and not with a delay of several months.

spicer likes this.
  8. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    TPB because I live in Guatemala part of the year so I can never keep up with single issues. I guess I could do digital, but after loosing so many old photos to file corruption over the years I don't trust them.

DelRiego and SateleNovelist11 like this.
  9. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    They all have their positive and negative sides.

Individual issues are available to read immediately and sometimes include stuff that can't be found in the trades, like the news pages from KOTOR. And while ads can be annoying, in older comics they're also a neat time capsule of sorts. But individual issues also require the most care - which is a real problem for someone like me - and aren't terribly portable, and they're probably the most expensive way of reading them when it's added up.

Trades are a lot more convenient than individual issues for the most part, while still offering the benefits of being a physical copy. But you have to wait for them to come out, and I'm also hesitant to endorse them too much because I don't like the effect they've had on storytelling.

Digital comics are in some ways probably the most convenient - you can access them anywhere you have a connection, right from when the comic comes out, and you never have to worry about them being lost or damaged. But there's a lot of problems associated with not having a physical copy. You're totally dependent on the UI for it (Marvel Unlimited, in particular, is terrible), and there are a lot of problems involved with being dependent on a connection that a physical book would never have.

Valin__Kenobi and Pearlsaber like this.
  10. patrickurrutia

patrickurrutia Jedi Master star 1

Feb 14, 2007
    How I read Star Wars comics is that I have the Long Time Ago Omnibuses Volumes which they're the trade paperbacks of the old original Marvel Comics Star Wars comic book series. The best of all time

11. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    I absolutely detest individual physical issues, and would constantly be behind waiting for trades as a result. It was the worst.

So my policy is:

Star Wars, where I care about being up to date: digital all the way.

General Marvel, which I am just getting into: trades, because I prefer the experience of curling up with a good story. I have transitioned almost entirely to digital books on a kindle, but a classic kindle isn't good for comics and tpbs aren't as space-consuming as a huge library is so I'm less bothered. I also get tpbs far less frequently.

There is the threat of me getting interested in a comic enough to want to buy single issues (which might happen soon), which would suck. I don't like double copies of things, and while I hear Marvel's physical comics get you digital comics these days I still wouldn't have my preferred physical form (trades).

Pearlsaber likes this.
  12. Pearlsaber

Pearlsaber Jedi Master star 4

Jan 29, 2013
    I wish I was patient enough to wait for the TPB... :p

13. Vialco

Vialco Force Ghost star 5

Mar 6, 2007
    I used to make the trek to the only major comic book store in the city for the important Star Wars comics. But around the time of the Son of Dathomir comics, I discovered digital comics for iPad and iPhone. Ever since then I've bought all my comics digitally and I am very happy. Being able to download the latest issue straight to your device on the day its released is extremely convenient.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

14. mes520

mes520 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    Hard copy also I read before bed.

15. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Physical TPB's or Omnibuses. Though I do have single issues.

16. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    lately it's been monthly floppies, I do own a few trades, though. No real omnibuses. And I generally read them on a throne made from my enemies. Generally.

Valin__Kenobi likes this.
  17. hippie1kenobi

hippie1kenobi Force Ghost star 4

Apr 28, 2002
    Digital. Yeah, I am a noob and it is probably blasphemy. Don't like the ads in individuals and can't wait for TPBs.

Marvel Unlimited is too much fun and a great deal, though the interface sucks.

18. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    Preach it, sibling of indeterminate gender.

I fairly recently decided to give it a free trial, and while the sheer comics-to-price ratio means I'm probably going to wind up permanently subscribing anyway, I still remain amazed at just how truly awful the interface is - especially because I've long used Dark Horse's digital comics and they're so much better. Just amazingly bad stuff.

hippie1kenobi likes this.
  19. AdmiralWesJanson

AdmiralWesJanson Force Ghost star 5

May 23, 2005
    TPB, left to right, top to bottom (assuming the panel format is nothing really innovative like Bill Watterson used to)

20. SateleNovelist11

SateleNovelist11 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2015

I feel the same way. I'm not opposed to reading ebooks or reading things online. However, when I travel, I tend to worry about the same things. I also tend to be patient. I didn't buy all the issues of Darth Maul: Son of Dathomir until they were all out. I'm odd like that. Plus, it's kind of a dark, depressing, albeit interesting series about some really messed up people (Maul, Sidious, Dooku, Talzin, and Grievous) with Obi-Wan being the only major character with sufficient redeeming qualities. Lol. So, I'm weird like that. I prefer to get all the issues at once after the particular graphic novel is finished.

I can't imagine traveling back and forth to different countries for work or whatever. I'm sure I would enjoy that, but I imagine I'd lose files and books. I'd go bananas.

21. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Spoiler threads are used to ascertain whether a trade is worthy of purchase. Whichsoever trade has the the required quality shall be worthy of purchase. ;)

As to how to wait, the answer is simple: Read many other series. I get stuff from DC, Marvel, Image, DHC, Oni, IDW, Dynamite, Avatar, Cinebook, 2000AD, Archaia, Boom, Vertigo, Titan. It spans the range of genres: Sci-fi, espionage, detective, fantasy, superheroes etc. In total I'm following around 40-50 series but they only put out about 2 trades or an OHC edition a year at max.

There's greater variance of genre material in comics now than there's ever been, more than anyone could ever read so go forth and explore. Give me an idea of what you're most after and I'll give you a few titles to check out.

22. spicer

spicer Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2012
    Digital

23. ifleninwasawizard

ifleninwasawizard Jedi Master star 4

Jun 2, 2014
    Both, since Marvel adds a digital code to each physical copy. Though I think 'Star Wars' and 'Darth Vader' read much better digitally, so that is how tend to re-read them.

24. The Corellian President

The Corellian President Jedi Master star 1

Apr 23, 2015
    Hi folks,

I can't do digital. I love having a physical copy and being able to flip through it. As for trade versus single issues, it depends. Catching up with DH's omnibuses really helped. Although waiting for the trades for the new Marvel series is really, really difficult. I keep hearing great things about them.

25. Qel

Qel Jedi Master star 2

Jan 8, 2007
    Used to get TPBs or in the case of Legacy and Kotor went for individual issues. With the continuity reset I'm trying to go completely digital with an ipad mini, I miss the physical books and am still tempted to buy them in hardback but for comics its just so much more convenient digitally I can just buy it and have it near instantly. Also saves on physical space...

One thing I have been wondering is if Marvel will do digital collections of an entire arc later, e.g. I'm not buying the Leia comic at the moment, but if they were to just bundle the whole lot for a slight discount in about a years time I'd pick it up.