main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

SWC How do you SAY these Star Wars words?

Discussion in 'Star Wars Community' started by WhiskeyGold, Feb 25, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tornado Wrangler

Tornado Wrangler Jedi Padawan star 1

Apr 22, 2013

. . . because that's what Lando is saying. When Lando is around, everyone says "Han" as in "fan". I think this is the only time in the saga when 3PO says "Han." He always calls him Captain Solo.

2. Obi-yoda

Obi-yoda Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 10, 2014
    A-T-A-T
    Han (rhyming with gone) Solo
    4 LOM (rhyming with bomb)

3. Findswoman

Findswoman Fanfic and Pancakes and Waffles Mod (in Pink) star 5 Staff Member Manager

Feb 27, 2014
    I've usually pronounced Solo's first name as "Hahn" because it's so similar to the German name "Hans" (pronounced "Hahns"), and 4-LOM as "four-lom" just because it's fewer syllables than "four el oh em." But then I've also mostly said "ay tee ay tee" for "AT-AT," which is more syllables than "at-at," so... not very logical, I know. Maybe it's the difference between the specific name of a character/being and the generic name of a vehicle...

But yes, "tomayto, tomahto," indeed.

4. Kess Banta

Kess Banta Jedi Knight star 4

Mar 23, 2014
    Lucas originally formulated young Luke Starkiller as an echo of his younger self, thus the name.

5. Sir Chem

Sir Chem Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 26, 2013
    AT-AT has always been ay-tee-ay-tee, to me. I don't think it was ever said in the movies, they just called them walkers, right?

Han has always been Hawn, since that's the most common pronunciation in the movie.

I have never said it in conversation, but I would say 4-lahm for 4-LOM. Less work...

Leia is pronounced "Lay-ah", and always will be to me.

I really feel sorry for some of the sci-fi actors dealing with names like Anakin and Obi-Wan, since they might just be reading from the script with no prior knowledge.

Yeah, that scene always makes me laugh.

Yeah, Ford really accents that "w" sound. I'm probably between the two pronunciations, somehow.

6. Findswoman

Findswoman Fanfic and Pancakes and Waffles Mod (in Pink) star 5 Staff Member Manager

Feb 27, 2014
    My dictionary gives "falcon" (first syllable rhyming with "Hal") as the first/preferred pronunciation option and "falwcon" (first syllable rhyming with "fall") as the second. Once I'm back in the office tomorrow I'll check on what the big Merriam-Webster says, but the first of the two is how I always learned to say it, and Ford's pronunciation always seemed a little odd to me.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.