How do you think AOTC will fair against other summer movies?

Discussion in 'Revenge of the Sith (Non-Spoilers)' started by Leavethattome, Mar 16, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rebel Scumb Jedi Grand Master

star 6
  2. Leavethattome Jedi Knight

star 3
  3. PloKloon1138 Jedi Master

star 4
    Take the advice of a spoiled fan...

...AOTC will kick all of your asses! :D
  4. thenink Jedi Knight

star 2
    SPider-man should do very well. Why? Here's why:

Spider-Man is a comic book character.
    People read Comic Books.
    These people are called "Geeks"
    "Geeks" like movies.
    "Geeks" like movies about Spider-man

BUT!!!!!!!!

The real kicker is that "Geeks" also like STAR WARS films therefore both films will do equally well!!!

P.s. I am a Geek. (No offence to other geeks).

5. Leavethattome Jedi Knight

star 3
    At least you admitted to it.
  6. Rebel Scumb Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    LTTM is also spoiled. He knows the skinny
  7. Leavethattome Jedi Knight

star 3
    I know no skinny....and how do YOU know I am spoiled? [face_love]
  8. Dark Lady Mara Manager Emeritus

star 7
    Because you did not choose National Lampoon's Van Wilder as best summer film. Nah nah!
  9. boyo Jedi Knight

Here' my two cents........

~Spider-man is a very highly anticipated movie
    ~Star Wars is an even more highly anticipated movie

there will be NO problem. Spidey will do great those two weeks it has to itself, but come May 16th, it will definitley drop.... waaaaaaaay down.

-Boyo
  10. Rebel Scumb Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    Spy Kids 2 will be the biggest movie!
  11. Rebel Scumb Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    up

not for any concievable reason ;)
  12. Ice Jedi Force Ghost

star 3
    FIRST OF ALL, its a good thing I don't have to take any more SAT's because I just lost 500 points listening to this conversation. I sware i just got dumber.

WHAT are you talking about Leavethattome! You actually think that Spiderman will beat out STAR WARS. You have to be on crack. You are an idiot if you think way.

i could not bear to read past page to of this thread for the reason that i might go insane. You stupid retard! You do realize that most movies would opt against having their movie against STAR WARS. Thats how it was and thats how it will always be. Don't you realize that Star Wars films are an unstopable force (no pun intended) in the industry.

Spiderman could not be released at a worse time. Two weeks before AOTC, one of the most anticipated films of the year. Good luck breaking any records with that on its way.

ANOTHER THING, you actually think the POWER PUFF GIRL movie will prosper. ESPICALLY with LOTR late in the year. That thing is going to flop just like SCOBBY DOO. Yea, i said it. That movie is going to flop like a fish out of water. There is no hope for a live action movie based of a 60-70's cartoon. THAT whole show is stupid, a movie isn't going to change my mind.

leavethattome, obviously you have no idea what you are talking about. and you should learn to keep your mouth shut. Espically when talking about movies!

--Ice Jedi--
    Vive le Cantina
  13. Dark Lady Mara Manager Emeritus

star 7
    Dude, I totally agree with you, but flaming = teh bad. :)
  14. Qey Santim Jedi Knight

star 1
    Hmmm...this has been discussed to death...but in the end....

AOTC will easily earn more than Spiderman...domestically and internationally. Why?

Well, SW has a serious repeat-viewing audience...whether the film is great or sux. Hell, I saw TPM like 6 times in theatre...bought the video and the DVD. SW fans just can't help themselves. It's Star Wars!

As for Spidey...don't we know this story inside and out? It will no doubt have a great two weeks...but after AOTC opens...forgetaboutit! Truthfully, I don't really care if I see Spidey or not. The trailers have failed to really wow me...especially the second one. Egads.

As for Scooby...please. AOTC's main competition will come from TTT and Minority Report. I doubt Harry Potter will do nearly as well as the first...we shall see.

15. Queenie Amidala Force Ghost

star 5
    I agree. I'm interested in seeing Spidey, and I probably will at some point in time. However, it will not be in the opening weeks, and it is no where near the top of my priority list. The list currently is as follows:

1. AOTC
    2. AOTC
    3. AOTC
    4. AOTC
    5 to 1143. AOTC
    1144. Consider other movies
    1145. AOTC

I saw TPM 24 times in the theater. I hafta break that record, now, don't I? ;)

Seriously, Spiderman will do well, I have no doubt. As will other movies this summer. The truth of the matter is, AOTC has all the balls in its court. It has opening power, and it has staying power. The movie is going to rock, everyone believes this, and it will do exceptionally well.
  16. thenink Jedi Knight

star 2
    "Spider-man, Spider-man! Friendly neighborhood Spider-man!!!!!"

"SPIIIIDERRRMAAAAAHHHNNNNN!!!!! Yah! ;)
  17. Spynal Jedi Knight

star 2
    You see, the thing is movies that are based on comic books, video games and novels always seem to sell the story short. It's nearly impossible to condense a book into a movie and make it work perfectly. There are always details that are important to the story that only work in the novel and wouldn't fit into a movie version. Same with Comics, there's plenty of details, and billions of issues of comics, so condensing them into a hackneyed, typical, action movie formula doesn't do it for me. X Men was ok, but nothing spectacular. Whenever you do something that's already been done in another medium, it always turns out to seem recycled. Spiderman, there's been comics, games, and cartoons. I just don't see it being anything more than it was before. Hollywood loves to overdue it and go too far. They've obviously ran out of ideas along time ago, ever since they started using every marvel comic hero for movies. God forbid someone tries to be original, like Lucas is showing us.
  18. OffHisHead Jedi Knight

Spider-Man's weekend box office gross: $114.8 million. Breaking the single day gross on Friday, and then doing it again the following day. The first film to break the $100 million mark in a single weekend, and countless other records shattered. The #2 movie this weekend made nearly $105 million less than Spider-Man. If you were to combine the weekend's gross of all the other films in the top 10 and TRIPLE that amount, it would still be less than what Spidey earned.
    I seriously don't think AOTC will match this in it's opening weekend, even with the Thursday release giving it an extra day's head start. How it does in the long run however, is still up in the air. If the movie's as good as the advance word is saying it is, it may well reign supreme for the summer. It's gonna have to play a lot of catch-up though. I'm not expecting much drop-off for Spidey this coming weekend. For one, It's only serious contender opening is that new Richard Gere movie which just looks AWFUL from what I saw in it's trailer, and I know of several folks who wanted to see Spidey but couldn't because every show this weekend was sold out. Up to 20 shows a day in some theaters, and every one sold out!! Whooooooosh!
  19. thenink Jedi Knight

star 2
    Yup. As much as I love SW, I think there is no way it is going to beat what Spiderman did last weekend. I am really blown away by how well it actually did. AOTC (or any movie for that matter) will be hard pressed to even match it, let alone beat it.

Oh well.... :(
  20. LordIsurus Jedi Knight

star 3
    Well, I think AotC will fair really well. I saw Spidey. If people see it thru word-of-mouth its high intake will not last as long as predicted.

Isurus
  21. The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth

Manager
    star 10
    to break Spidey's fri-sun record, AOTC will need to gross 114+ on those 3 days in addition to the 20-40 million it'll take on thursday. 134 million in 4 days? TPM couldn't do that in 5- and that was without competition from a film such as spidey or without the negative-backlash against TPM to deter it. However, AOTC will definately hold the 4 day record.
  22. The Flying Dutchman Jedi Master

star 4
    according to http://www.the-numbers.com/ Spiderman will get a total Gross of $390m allthough they claim 'By this time next week we should have an accurate picture.' More like may 16th :D

Ohh and according to them Star Wars will open at $80m
  23. DarthHutt Force Ghost

star 5
    Weekend, daily breakdown for AOTC:

Thursday: $20m
    Friday: $25m
    Saturday: $25m
    Sunday: $15m

My opinion only...SM will take away much of AOTC's business.
  24. The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth

Manager
    star 10
    I predict:

Thursday: 30 to 35 million
    Friday: 25 to 30 million
    Saturday 25 to 30 million
    Sunday: 20 million
  25. hew Force Ghost

star 4
    Anyone check out this weekend's box office?

[face_laugh]
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.