main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

How do you think AOTC will fair against other summer movies?

Discussion in 'Archive: Revenge of the Sith (Non-Spoilers)' started by Leavethattome, Mar 16, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Leavethattome

Leavethattome Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 10, 2002
    Darth Yoko Ono...your name isn't Darth Sutherland.

2. Darth_Sutherland

Darth_Sutherland Jedi Youngling

Sep 26, 2001
    I can agree with you about the princess diaries.

3. Leavethattome

Mar 10, 2002
    D_S how do you feel about AOTC being beat by Spider-man this summer, do you agree?

4. Darth_Sutherland

Sep 26, 2001
  5. Leavethattome

Mar 10, 2002
    What about scooby doo?

By your name alone I can tell you enjoy your scooby snacks....enlighten us.

6. Darth_Sutherland

Sep 26, 2001
    Scooby Doo will reinvent the cinamatic experiance.

7. Leavethattome

Mar 10, 2002
    I dont think people are thinking highly of Scooby doo because they are simply in a word "jealous"

Scooby is god's gift to film, and they just don't want to see that.

8. Darth23

Darth23 Jedi Padawan star 4

May 14, 1999
    So do we want to put some NUMBERS behind our predictions, or do we just want to hear ourselves talk. :D

9. Darth23

May 14, 1999
    I'll start:

There might be other big movies this summer But I went with these 11:

AOTC - 477 million
    Spiderman - 182 million
    Minority Report - 179 million
    MIB2 - 143 million
    Austin Powers 3 - 139 million
    XXX - 131 million
    Signs - 120 million
    Lilo and Stich 112 million
    Windtalkers - 92 million
    Scooby Do 87 million
    Power Puff Girls - 62 million

10. Rebel Scumb

Rebel Scumb Jedi Knight star 6

Feb 22, 1999
    from the main page:

"And with "Clones" trailers being overpowered by campaigns for "Spider-Man" and even "Scooby-Doo" as well as continuing buzz for "The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Rings," Lucasfilm is trying to steal back some of the thunder back for its franchise."

11. __bEoWuLf__

__bEoWuLf__ Jedi Youngling

Mar 17, 2002
    The AOTC trailers were overpowered by the Spidey and Scooby campaigns? Maybe in an alternate universe.

12. SWfan2002

SWfan2002 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 28, 2002
    So let me guess, the media is now going to criticize GL and Lucasfilm for not promoting AOTC enough.

13. Rebel Scumb

Rebel Scumb Jedi Knight star 6

Feb 22, 1999
    beowulf mosty people havent seen the SW trailers

14. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    My spring/summer predictions...

1) AOTC (the repeat buisness will push it ahead for sure)
    2) Spiderman (will do really big buisness, but won't get more than half of AOTC's pull)
    3) MIB2 (if they keep the low-key wit and humor as well as the chemistry between Jones and Smith, it could possibly even surpass the original's take)
    4) Austin Powers 3 (The first was a sleeper hit, the second was a huge hit and was generally considered superior to the first, so we'll see if Myers can hit lightning again)
    5) XXX (Vin Deisel keeps getting bigger with every film he makes- expect this one to meet or exceed The Fast & The Furious's box office take, especiall with the same creative team and director behind it)
    6) Minority Report (Spielberg returns to non-KUbrick sci-fi, w/Cruise back in action-mode, should do pretty good, and hopefully will be better than A.I. or Mission Impossible 2)
    7) The Scorpion King (could do pretty well- it supposedly has done better than The Mummy Returns in test screenings)
    8) Blade (the word of mouth on this has been building alot recently, should surpass the original both in box office take and quality)
    9) Signs (It won't do The 6th Sense-level numbers, and while it will nop doubt be quality, don't expect it to be a huge success- as proven, unfortunately, by the absolutely brilliant & perfect "Unbreakable", which did good but not huge buisness)
    10) Lilo and Stich (Expect it to do equal to or better than Atlantis: The Lost Empire. The marketing campaign thus far has been pretty good too thus far, with them parodying other Disney animated films [Aladin, Beauty & the Beast and The LIttle Mermaid to be specific])
    11) Windtalkers (It'll do buisness ranging from good to so-so because of John Woo and Cage, but I think people are getting tired of war films- "We Were Soliders"'s good-but-not-great box office performance as an example.)
    12) The Sum of All Fears (It'll depend on Affleck's performance of Jack Ryan, but it's notthe first time the character has had actors switch, it will depend on the strength of the script and the Tom Clancy name..it also will be out for memorial day, so the USA-centric figures could appeal to that)
    13) Scooby Doo (This one will suck more than any other film this year [ ::coughFreddiePrinzeJrcough:: ] but the Scooby Doo name will appeal to families, what with the recent straight-to-video releases of newer animated Scooby movies)
    14) Mr. Deeds (Adam Sandler has been on a pretty big roll for the last few years, expect it to continue for this film's box office performance)
    15) K-19- The Widowmaker (Liam Neeson and Ford should make a pretty good attraction to moviegoers)

15. Leavethattome

Mar 10, 2002
    I say for this year Spider-man beats out AOTC.

Then in the next couple of years AOTC will gross more then Spidey...but it will take patients little one.

16. Darth23

May 14, 1999
    Numbers.

I want to see numbers. :D :D :D

----------

"Then in the next couple of years AOTC will gross more then Spidey...but it will take patients little one. "

Uh..... neither film will be playing after January or February at the latest. And both will make 90% of their totals in the first few months - that 's just how big movies work now. (post Titanic).

17. Leavethattome

Mar 10, 2002
    I'll get my time machine, give me a few minutes and I'll be back with the numbers. [face_love]

18. Leavethattome

Mar 10, 2002
    I just came back, found out Degobah and Naboo aren't the same planet and...

Spider-man = $312 mill
    Scooby Doo = $311 Mill
    AOTC = $305

19. Darth-Mouth

Darth-Mouth Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 18, 1999
    Son, are you smoking the crack pipe?

20. Leavethattome

Mar 10, 2002
    No, I just went to the future and those are all FACTS. :D

21. Darth23

May 14, 1999
    "So let me guess, the media is now going to criticize GL and Lucasfilm for not promoting AOTC enough. "

I tell you, that Lucasfilm just can't do anything right.

:D :D :D :D
    ---------------------

Well Forbes just said that toy sales for hasbro sucked because of TPM - then they listed 2001 sales figures which dropped from 2000 - even though TPM came out in mid 1999 and reportedly sold 500 Million dollars worth of merchandise. - I read an article last year that stated that other 'average' franchises like Batman usually sell about $100 million.

But then the article also origially stated that Pepsi was doing the promotion, so it's pretty obvious that the writer did NOT research before cranking out the piece.

hr also implied that TPM was a BO flop because it 'failed to beat Titanic'. if that's how we judge a flop ot a hit then EVERY movie has been a flop, including Harry Potter (Now #2 worldwide) and Lord of the Rings.

22. Leavethattome

Mar 10, 2002
    I think my point has been made.

23. Leavethattome

Mar 10, 2002
    This thread hsa taught me something...people seem to have a lot of time on their hands.

24. metalgearrx

metalgearrx Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 10, 2002
    You mean YOU have a lot of time on your hands. More than half of the posts on this thread are yours! (And no, I didn't count the number. That would be sad.)

Oh yes, and Scooby Doo will NOT RULE the box office this summer. So, there.

25. CowMoo

CowMoo Jedi Master star 3

Aug 12, 2001
    Scooby Doo and Spiderman will make respectable business depending on word of mouth, but I see their sales similiar to X-Men. Great, but not spectacular.

But I am willing to bet real money that AOTC WILL come out on top. I have little doubt that it will crush all competition 10x over for some time. Contrary to popular belief, TPM did pretty well in the Box Office with about 430 million. In contrast, Hannibal had about 165 million, American Pie had 101 million and Gladiator had 187 million (All numbers from IMDB.com)

As I see it, it is a no-contest. None of them came even CLOSE to the amount TPM made.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.