main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

How do you think Han and Leia will react to this sudden relationship between Kyp and Jaina?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Falcon, Feb 19, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Xani

Xani Jedi Youngling

Dec 28, 2001
    If you read Elaine Cunninghams interview on theforce.net, she said that the Kyp/Jaina apprenticeship was NOT in her list of plot points to hit. It was just something that developed as she wrote the book.

She got the idea from when Kyp offered Jaina apprenticeship back when they were planning the Serinpedal attack. Elaine called it a "throw away line"! I take that as meaning that LFL / DelRey do not have Kyp/Jaina in their plan.

I could see the next author pretty much ignoring the apprenticeship, at most making a small scene of Jaina saying that her place was with her family when Kyp goes off on a mission without her.

We may be making WAY too much of this, we will have to see.

As far as the Kyp/Jaina romance thing? I think that was decided when Kyp actually gave Jag some (perhaps big-brotherly?) advice on getting Jaina's interest.

2. Balance_Point

Balance_Point Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 10, 2001
    Han and Leia's reaction to the apprenticeship will certainly be interesting (although they'll no doubt be startled, I don't think they'll really mind it that much) to see, but right now I could care less about it.

What I really want to see is how Jacen (eventually) reacts to the news. :D

3. Face Loran

Face Loran Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 21, 1999
    "If you read Elaine Cunninghams interview on theforce.net, she said that the Kyp/Jaina apprenticeship was NOT in her list of plot points to hit."

Just because it wasn't initially supposed to be in the book doesn't mean it will be dropped. Mara's pregnancy wasn't supposed to be in Balance Point originally, yet clearly that plot line wasn't dropped.

4. ReaperFett

ReaperFett Jedi Knight star 6

Dec 9, 1999
    well, SOMETHING was dropped in the plot :)

5. boushh2187

boushh2187 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 16, 1999
    JediFalcon: I have to take a look at those pages again, but I guess I feel that the Jaina/Jag thing might happen because of what Jaina ends up feeling towards the end of the book. And that feeling has to do with Jag. I don't want to give too much away for those who may not have read the book yet so I will remain vague. :)

6. Resolute

Resolute Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 11, 2002
    Kyp and Jaina don't have a relationship! Even in Dark Journey Kyp (subtley) encourages Jag to make a move.

Unless your talking apprentice style, I doubt they'd have a major problem with that. Now Mara, she might kill kyp (literally) but otherwise I doubt it would make that big of a difference.

7. Tsavong_Lah

Tsavong_Lah Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 29, 2001
    I was under the impression that Kyp and Han are still close, so he wont mind to much other than the dangerous situations they get in.

Leia is a bit different. He's gonna have to do much to change her impression of him(poor guy).

8. Lianna

Lianna Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 9, 2001
    As I have said before, there are no definates in DJ one way or another and as EC said in her interview, it was not a romance novel. Yet, there were many references in the novel pertaining to both Jag and Kyp that lead one to reason that the story could go either way. I won't go into them again as I already have in a rather long post in another thread.

I've read references in this thread to EC and her interview. Does anyone remember the thread posted by Charlemagne, entitled "Elaine Cunningham and Jaina Solo"? In that thread (which was posted before most of us got DJ) Charlemagne reviews DJ and compares it to her other works. He even gives his opinion that the author was more in favor of a Kyp/Jaina match and sites some references as well as observations about the book. Well, Elaine Cunningham posted a reply in that thread expressing her appreciation for Charlemagne's review and while despeling some inaccuracies in his observations about her, she praised his insight and said that he had "got it" with reference to his post about the final battle (which I was unable to find in his thread). From this post and from her assestment of Kyp in her interview as well as a statement she made therein about not being able to resist a "rogue"(she also refers to Kyp as a rogue Jedi in her book and I believe her interview as well) it is possible (while I would never attempt to speak for an author) that from these statements, she may be in favor of Kyp and Jaina. I know that EC post's in this forum and if she happens to read this, my apologies if I have overstepped my boundaries.

The fact that Jaina's apprenticeship was not an outlined event makes me wonder how much is really outlined. Perhaps we are making a bit too much over Jaina's love life. Perhaps Jaina's future in this regard is not an outlined event and we are wrong in assuming that anything in the books about it points to any future event.

9. Xani

Xani Jedi Youngling

Dec 28, 2001
    You know, when I first read the line in DJ wherein Kyp gives his advice to Jag about Jaina, I actually read it two ways:

1) that he saw the potential Jaina/Jag relationship and decided to help it along

2) that he was just telling Jag what it would take to get Jaina to notice either of them. It could almost be read as an invite to a compitition - 'may the best man win' sort of thing. Which is what ANH had in Luke and Han competing for Leia's attention

I for one could handle both Jag and Kyp making fools of themselves to get Jaina's attention.

Another thing to note is that when Kyp first saw the interest between Jaina and Jag, he immediately thought of it in terms of the positive political (and power) ramifications of such a union - and felt like it would be a good thing to encourage.

JediFalcon? just to clarify - what relationship are you talking about, romantic or apprenticeship?

10. Xani

Xani Jedi Youngling

Dec 28, 2001
  11. Lianna

Nov 9, 2001
    You made some good points Xani. Some that I had not really thought of before. I read that part where Kyp considers the "logistics" of the Jaina and Jag union and could not really get a handle on it. Your theory seems pretty sound in that regard. It was funny to that he pondered the "logistics" of the idea as Jag was the one with all the training in logic. That was the point that really made it hard to get the handle on it.

I had thought of the Kyp and Jag interaction at the end of DJ, to be a bit like you theorize Xani. Well, only time will tell what will really happen.

I too noticed that there are similarities in the Jaina/Jag/Kyp triangle that resemble the Leia/Han/Luke in ANH. That one was resolved by Luke and Leia finding out they were brother and sister. Perhaps that is how this one will be resolved as well. Have you read my rumor thread "Is Kyp Adopted?"? It gives some speculations on Kyp that could lead to he and Jaina being related. I warn you though, It is just a rumor and should be read as such.

Thanks for including that link in your post as I am not good with that sort of thing.

12. Falcon

Falcon Chosen One star 10

Feb 7, 2002
    Thanks for putting that link up, I guess I will have to go back and reread the book, maybe I will get a different view on things and rethink this whole situation.

13. GoldenVeila

GoldenVeila Jedi Master star 4

Aug 16, 2001
    I also interpreted the line about Jaina only accepting someone who could outfly her as a competitive kinda thing. "May the best man win"... exactly! Although I also saw some of the scenes with Kyp as possible encouraging Jag to be with Jaina. [face_plain]

I had a dream the other night where I liked Jag. *shudders* He isn't so bad, I don't absolutely detest him as much as before Dark Journey, but he is far from being my favorite character. I was in an apartment on Coruscant with Kyp and Jagged, and who do I like? :eek: Good thing my dream ended just as Jag walked in...

14. Lianna

Nov 9, 2001
    Perhaps Veila, therapy is now in order. [face_laugh]

Seriously, that line could be interpreted any number of ways. I also had a thought that Kyp might have been nudging Jag through the force because it said that "with a little guidance and maybe a nudge or two in the right direction, they could be a potent force." (not exact quote I know) Perhaps Jag really has no interest in Jaina at all and his constantly going to see her was prompted by Kyp's nudging him. Though I really don't see why he would.

15. SECRETSISTER

SECRETSISTER Jedi Master star 8

Nov 18, 2001
    I only see Master/Apprentice with Kyp and Jaina. Jag, during his conversation with Soontir, looked forward to meeting Jaina again, and the fact that Jaina was able to zero in on Jag's location in the lock-up shows that she's got a special bonding to him. But the whole question is a sideline to the main story. Come on, Jedi and Wedge! Get them scummy Vong!

16. Falcon

Feb 7, 2002
    Ok I reread the book, and I have reconsidered a few things. Kyp was pushing Jag to go see Jaina. Near the end though I think Jag is suddenly beginning to give up on Jaina because everytime they confronted, there was a lot of mixed emotions and anger tended to run high, just like Han and Leia when they first met. I think that if Jaina and Jag were destined to be together then the writers will find some way to bring them togther. Like they did for Luke and Mara, I thought for sure that Callista and Luke were going to get together, everyone knows how that relationship ended up. They ended up bringing Mara and Luke together and that was a shocker for us all. Wasn't there dought that Mara and Luke could never work out? But they found someway to make it work. I think that the way Jaina suddenly found that link between her and Kyp like she did with Jag means that a relationship could go either way. As for Kyp being her master, I think that it is a good idea, he's been there and he's done a few things that Jaina has done, he can understand things that she just went through and he can help her face with what she went through. And they can figure a few things out about the path they both travelled down. I really would like to see Jag and Jaina get together because they would make an interesting couple. But I am not keeping my hopes up too high like I did for Luke and Callisa, because I ended up being disappointed in the end.

17. Jedi_Jaina_Durron

Jedi_Jaina_Durron Jedi Knight star 5

Dec 1, 2001
    Jaina and Kyp are so alike it's scary! I am of course majorly in support of a romantic relationship even though(cynic I am) I don't think it'll happen. Lianna had very good points, as usual. But so do several other peeps.

And if you can't see and Jaina/Kyp relationship working, head over to the Fanfiction board. There are literally tons fo Kyp and Jaina fics, including mine and Lianna's.

18. Lianna

Nov 9, 2001
    I'm impressed that the post in this thread made JediFalcon reread DJ. That is very open minded of you. Yeah, it could go either way Jedi. That really is all I want people to see. DJ was hyped so much as a Jaina/Jag book from the very beginning and when I read it I saw it another way. I'm glad that I'm not the only one who did.

19. Falcon

Feb 7, 2002
    thanks Lianna
    I have a flag up for Kyp and Jaina

20. Lianna

Nov 9, 2001
    Good for you JediFalcon!

21. BattleDog

BattleDog Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 23, 2002
    The line "...only someone who could outfly her as a pilot." Shoes that Kyp has no interest, since VP it has been stated that Jaina is better and Kyp knows it!

22. Falcon

Feb 7, 2002
    only someone who could outfly her as a pilot." Shoes that Kyp has no interest, since VP it has been stated that Jaina is better and Kyp knows it!

Hmm, I think that you missed the part where she finds a connection that developed unnoticed between her and Kyp, she noticed it when she had that dream. She seen a different side to Kyp, Kyp was there to save her from darkness when everyone else just wanted to leave her alone. Maybe he just did not want to see the Skywalker line repeat itself, or he does truly care for her. Depends on how you look at it. Head on over to the Jaina/Kyp fics, maybe you will change your mind after you read some of the stories. Kyp and Jaina are like Han and Leia all over again. I see alot in Han in Kyp, Jaina could be like her mom and go for a pirate and scoundral, or in Kyps place a scoundral and a rogue. He has more sensitity than he lets on, he hides his feelings very well. No one knows how Kyp feels, but Jaina does now. She seen that part, she felt his joy and pain at his slow long redemption. As they fought, the force lit Kyp up so brightly that his dark disguise disappeared and she saw him reach for her tentavely. It is ironic she thought, that Kyp would be the one to save her. page 299 As Jaina looked in Kyps green sombre gaze, with great effort she lowered her shields that kept her locked up. Maybe there was one person who could understand, maybe there was one person who she should not lock out. There may be people who do not want to see that happen, but there are people who do want to see the two get together. I am all for it. I want to see this happen. I think that they have really good chemistry when it comes to Jaina and Kyp.

23. Jedi_Jaina_Durron

Jedi_Jaina_Durron Jedi Knight star 5

Dec 1, 2001
    they have great chemistry! I love them together! (obviously) But I agree with what Ava said over on the Who should Jaina end up with thread. It shouldn't be Jaina and Jag for spontinaity's sake. It's too predictable. Kyp and Jaina would be sooooooooo much more interesting.

24. Face Loran

Face Loran Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 21, 1999
    Since VP it has been stated that Jaina is better and Kyp knows it!

I don't think VP conclusively proved that. VP showed Jaina had great reaction time, but there are other aspects that go into making a great pilot.

25. I-poodoo

I-poodoo Jedi Padawan star 4

May 1, 2001
    "Perhaps we are making a bit too much over Jaina's love life."

Yes indeed we are. She's what, just turned 18, and we've already singling out a life-partner for her.

It is allright for us to favor a match between Jaina and a guy we like, but as far that's concerned. Let's just wait till the fullness of time before expecting a wedding invitation.

Zekk
    Kyp
    Jag
    It does not matter I'm sure whatever guy she chooses whenever she thinks she's ready will be perfect for her.

As far as Han and Leia's reaction...i don't know what it will be like but i'm certain that it will be good reading.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.