main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST How do you think Luke and Rey are related?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by iamthesenate, Dec 22, 2015.

1. Jango_Fett21

Jango_Fett21 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 9, 2002

I know why people came away from the movie thinking she is a Skywalker (I was in the same boat). However, I also know that the film contains far more hints that she's NOT a Skywalker than it does that she IS, especially when some of the things that people thought pointed towards her being a Skywalker turn out not to have been pointing in that direction at all.

2. Thrawn082

Thrawn082 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 11, 2014
    I also know that the film contains far more hints that she's NOT a Skywalker than it does that she IS,

No, it doesn't. That's the thing, you are literally the FIRST person that I've talked to who thinks that. Perhaps they intended it to, but then they just failed.

poundpuppy29 likes this.
  3. Jango_Fett21

Apr 9, 2002
    Things from TFA that point towards Rey NOT being a Skywalker:
    1) Han and Leia have no idea who she is.

2) Kylo Ren doesn't know who she is, and only recognizes her as being the 'awakening' he and Snoke felt

3) When she was left on Jakku, she was old enough to recognize her family and know what they looked like... hence why she was waiting for them to come back

4) She thought Luke Skywalker was a myth

5) Lor San Tekka has no known connection to her

We also have J.J. Pablo Hidalgo and J.J. Abrams clarifying that a couple of things that people saw as being evidence of her being a Skywalker were not in fact evidence at all (her seeing the attack on Luke's 'academy', something that she wasn't present for since she was already on Jakku when it occurred, and R2-D2 waking up having nothing whatsoever to do with her).

Conversely, the only things that point towards her being a Skywalker are the fact that Luke and Anakin's saber calls to her and that she experiences certain things that Luke and Anakin experienced.

4. AurilliusPrime

AurilliusPrime Jedi Padawan star 1

Dec 19, 2015
    Through the force, yes. Blood relatives? Too easy but I can see that people need this to happen for some reason.

5. RyanAF7

RyanAF7 Jedi Youngling

Dec 24, 2015
    Many of you may have missed this or forgotten but Daisy Ridley gave us a HUGE hint a while back in an interview.

The link is below but she pretty much says "Rey is solitary and that is a clue as to her lineage."

Who else is solitary in the film? Good ol' Luke Skywalker.

Darth_Voider likes this.
  6. beccatoria

beccatoria Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 8, 2006
    But if people are expecting an "I am your father," or "there is another..." reveal, that requires that people don't recognise each other immediately.

I mean, yeah, we know that she was left on Jakku before the massacre, so I don't actually think that she was hidden there by the Skywalkers or Solos (which I always thought was weirdly negligent if true, to be honest). But that doesn't prevent her from being a kid that Luke doesn't know about.

Look, they were hammering home the similarities to the original trilogy everywhere, so it makes sense that people will be looking for this one too, and they should have known that. If they wanted to debunk it in the movie, then, like I said, the best way to do that would have been not to give her a mysterious family past (like by letting us see them leave her on Jakku or something - just nameless people we don't recognise), or not to give her a lifestyle and look that evokes Anakin and Luke on Tatooine on every level. Or not to give her a near mystical connection to Luke Skywalker and linger on Leia and Rey's first meeting as a totally wordless embrace that looks like a longed-for reunion (no, I don't think that Leia recognised Rey, but I think it's clear there's some instant connection there. It was very deliberately filmed that way).

If they honestly didn't know that they were making a film that suggested this, that just makes them look like really incompetent storytellers.

7. RyanAF7

RyanAF7 Jedi Youngling

Dec 24, 2015

1) Han knows something when he replies to Maz asking "Who's the girl?" J.J. wouldn't have cut out the conversation if it didn't spoil the reveal for Ep. VIII.

2) Not sure how this disproves her as a Skywalker. She had to have been 4 or 5 when he saw her last (if they've met before).

3) Old enough? 4-5 is pretty young. And with such a traumatic experience at such a young age I wouldn't surprised if she lost a lot of memories.

4) Personally, I think the mind wipe may be a little far fetched. But she could have forgotten her father's name since he's just "Father" to her. This would make the final scene in TFA even more touching because it's then that she realizes Luke Skywalker and her Father we're the same person this entire time. That would be an incredibly emotional realization, which correlates to Rey's about-to-cry face.

5) LST could have gone to hundreds of different planets to "retire". For some unconfirmed he chose Jakku. My guess is that Luke wen't into exile thinking his daughter was killed and LST went looking for Rey (having some evidence of her survival) in hopes that she could bring Luke out of solitary.

Well I don't doubt that she wasn't present for the massacre... She was placed on Jakku for safe-keeping by someone in her family. In the Novel this individual says "I'll come back for you, sweetheart. I promise." Could be Luke or her mother. I think it was her mother, who was tracked and killed by the Knights of Ren, before she could tell Luke where she hid Rey. That would explain why she never came back.

8. fuhry

fuhry Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 20, 2015
    The reason I have a problem with it is that, as a dad, I find it incomprehensible he could just leave her with a guy like Unkar Platt. True, dads abandon their kids all the time. It's definitely a theme in the real world. It's very distressing that Luke would do that. I really don't think it's like him.

But as I think about it Rey does have those skywalker traits - great pilot, mechanical know-how (though Luke and Leia didn't have that necessarily) and I think the most telling trait - treating droids like people. Who else is that nice to droids in this saga? I would love for Rey to be a Kenobi, but Obi-wan never cared for droids. Anakin loved them, and so did Luke. Leia's clearly loyal to C-3PO and Artoo. That struck me, it's one of the first things we see Rey do - protect a droid.

So I think I can find a way on this Skywalker train, but I don't think she's Luke's daughter.

One thing - if she's NOT a skywalker, it opens up a possible plot angle. Watching the movie and how Kylo reacts to her, I feel like he could fall in love with her. That could make things interesting.

9. fuhry

fuhry Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 20, 2015
    I think you're getting close to it here. The only reason someone would leave their daughter with Unkar Platt is if that person knows he or she is about to be captured. You would tell your child you'll come back for them, and you might even believe it, but basically, you know you're toast and leaving your daughter and sacrificing yourself is the only way you're going to have a chance.

I see that J.J. may have debunked the idea that it was Rey's presence that made R2 wake up, but I think he may just not want to reveal anything that the movie didn't explicitly reveal. That would be a spoiler for episode VIII. I still think it's the only explanation that makes any sense. I mean,

1. R2 wakes up randomly
    2. R2 reaches the time limit set by Luke.
    3. R2 wakes up when he realizes that Han Solo is dead
    4. R2 wakes up when he realized the Republic has been destroyed.
    5. R2 wakes up when he recognizes a person strong in the light side of the force in his vicinity.
    6. R2 wakes up in the presence of Rey.

Option 1 is kind of lame. Option 2 could make sense, but it's kind of undramatic. Option 3 makes no sense. Option 4 also makes no sense. Option 5 makes sense but I think it would be stupid to have a droid be able to sense the force. Option 6 makes the most sense. I think Luke does know who Rey is, and leaves a trail for her, and only her, to find him.

Thinking about it more, I think they've kind of gone overboard with the mystery. ANH had a fair amount of mysterious backstory, but you knew Obi-Wan was an old Jedi General that fought for Leia's father in the Clone wars. You knew that Luke was the son of Anakin Skywalker, who was Obi-wan's friend. Sure, you didn't know how everything got to be where it was, but the only big mystery was who Darth Vader was.

ESB actually shocked people by reversing things that seemed clear in ANH. Suddenly, with 4 words from Vader to Luke, Obi-wan turns into a liar, Luke turns into the child of a monster, that monster is humanized, et cetera.

In this movie, the whole damn thing is a mystery. Who's Lor San Tekka? Where did he get the map fragment? Why was R2 asleep, and why did he wake up? What is the relationship between Luke and Rey? Who is Snoke, how do Leia and Han know him? Who are the Knights of Ren?

I think we're going to have to find out the answer to at least some of these questions. That's a lot to put on Rian Johnson. This movie is compared to ANH in a lot of ways, but it's more like ANH and ESB rolled into one, because, like ESB, it creates a bunch of mystery.

10. Darth Early

Darth Early Jedi Padawan star 1

Nov 23, 2015
    My guess she's unrelated to Luke. She was born virgin blood. Her mom was connected somehow to Lor San Tekka and after hearing the story of Darth Vader decided to abandon her.

This story could patch all the loopholes in this episode. Rey is the chosen one that is why she understands the force without training.

Also the awakening of the force is manifested through Fin. His decision to go rogue on the First Order could be explained with "the ways of the force".

Plus Kylo feels her power which ultimately gives him enough curiosity so that he doesn't want to kill her which almost cost him his life.

It will turn out that Anakin was a project of the Sith Dark Lord, while Rey is the real deal.

Or......

Sent from my HTC One mini using Tapatalk

11. DANNASUK

DANNASUK Force Ghost star 7

Nov 1, 2012

Obi-wan was a hermit for 20 years.

12. Big Bad Yoda Daddy

Big Bad Yoda Daddy Force Ghost star 4

Mar 8, 2000
    My take (from another thread):

My wife is insistent that it can't be Luke because of that word "abandoned." I say it's an emotionally charged word that she doesn't have the evidence to back up.
    BUT
    What if Luke had a fling with... Dr. Aphra? She's about the right age, would probably have an imperial accent, loves tinkering, and most of all, looks out for numero uno. If she had a child without Luke's knowledge, she seems like the type who would "abandon" her to avoid being tied to Luke once it was obvious there was a hit out on him. Maybe she even brought the child to him for training, but then changed her mind after Luke began to suspect the child may be his.

13. Darth_Voider

Darth_Voider Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 4, 2015
    Since I'm a Luphra shipper, I would like Aphra as Reys mother but I would like it more if she's the new Mara Jade, that she cuts her Empire ties at one point and turns good.

Gesendet von meinem GT-P3110 mit Tapatalk

14. RyanAF7

RyanAF7 Jedi Youngling

Dec 24, 2015
    True, but that would take a lot of unnecessary backstory explanation and wouldn't be as easy to follow for kids. I like the idea of her being the daughter of Luke and a descendant of Kenobi (if he ever got with that one chick from TCW).

15. beccatoria

beccatoria Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 8, 2006
    I think that'd make me nervouse. Like, there are two ways that goes. Either it's one-sided and creepy or she saves him.

If it's one-sided and creepy I'd be nervous that we'd just end up with "Draco in Leather Pants," syndrome, where we look to excuse and justify a bad guy's actions - to turn a villain into an anti-hero - because he's sexy and it's so romantic.

If it's reciprocal, I'd be worried that Rey would end up looking like Kylo's love interest. Like if her narrative function is to save him with the ~power of love~, I'm not sure I'm down with that. Especially if her not being a Skywalker then felt like it was specifically because she needed to fall for Kylo. Like, if that was what her character was created for.

I mean, there are obviously ways they could go with either option that I wouldn't hate, and ultimately I'll try to give whatever direction they go in a fair chance. But my instinct is that I'd rather not mess with romance between Kylo and Rey because there are too many ways it could end up icky or disappointing.

Jaina_Snoke and Sarge like this.
  16. RyanAF7

RyanAF7 Jedi Youngling

Dec 24, 2015
    Also that would make complications for film consistency because they would have to bring back Obi Wan post A New Hope (Alec Guiness). It wouldn't make sense for them to physically bring back Ewan Mcgregor.

17. DANNASUK

DANNASUK Force Ghost star 7

Nov 1, 2012
    True, but that would take a lot of unnecessary backstory explanation and wouldn't be as easy to follow for kids. [/quote]

We're getting an Obi-wan spin off, remember ;) Disney did say everything will connect together in the new canon....

18. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    I'll point out the obvious here. Solitary=Solo

Winston_Sith likes this.
  19. Big Bad Yoda Daddy

Big Bad Yoda Daddy Force Ghost star 4

Mar 8, 2000
    If you're talking about Satine, I've got bad news for you...

-good ol' wookiepedia

20. AprilMayJune

AprilMayJune Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 18, 2015
    I sort of hate myself for caring about this as much as I do, hahaha, because I feel like I'm just playing the game the powers that be want me to play. I think if I were pressed to choose what I "want" to be true at this moment -- I think I'd prefer she not be related to Luke, or any of our main saga characters, at all. I think the odds of that actually being the case are slim to none, though. I'm all but certain they're going to have her be Luke's kid.

Honestly, if they *have* to make her related to somebody we already know, though, I've now reached a point where I'd prefer it be Obi-Wan over anyone else, because A) it's kind of a new twist on stuff we've seen before and it'd be pretty damn interesting to have an Obi-Wan grandkid versus an Anakin grandkid, B) we already have a Skywalker grandkid running around in the ST, and C) Obi-Wan's a great character and it does kind of makes sense that he'd still be part of the action in the central saga story, directly or indirectly. I mean, he's a really, really important character in all six previous movies -- even after he's dead and not on screen that much, hahaha. I'd be OK with him still being important to the story now.

Jedi Knight Fett and fuhry like this.
  21. All_Powerful_Jedi

All_Powerful_Jedi Force Ghost star 4

Sep 12, 2003
    While it's entirely possible, and even poetic, that Rey could be Luke's daughter, it can't be that much of a reveal if so many people walked away from TFA with that idea in their heads. If she's Luke's daughter, it should be spoiled in Act 1 of Episode 8.

A bigger reveal to me would be something like Luke having killed Rey's mom, who was a student of his and turned with Kylo Ren. I suppose Rey could also be Luke's daughter in this scenario, but that she is does not a reveal make. Only if they do something significant or shocking with that relationship could it be considered a reveal.

Sarge and fuhry like this.
  22. fuhry

fuhry Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 20, 2015

I actually was just imagining a scenario in which the Knights of Ren attack Luke's academy and Ben Solo fights with them. When Luke realizes this, he *should* concentrate on getting his trainees out, but he gets angry and lashes out, attacking the Kylo and the Knights, and in the process getting his trainees (including Rey's mom) killed in the process. I mean what if he attacks them with a huge force push and collapses his temple, killing Rey's mom who's hiding inside? That would be intense.

23. Darth_Voider

Darth_Voider Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 4, 2015
    We don't know if we're getting an Obi-Wan spin-off, this is just speculation and we only had rumours it would come out in 2018, but this is debunked now. Nothing has been officially confirmed.

Gesendet von meinem GT-P3110 mit Tapatalk

24. poundpuppy29

poundpuppy29 Jedi Master star 1

Jul 3, 2007
    I am leaning that he didn't leave her there and thought she was dead my theories are that Kylo/Ben left her there because he couldn't kill her and put her there to hide his mistake or someone hid her there because they intended to go back for her when it was safe but not Luke

25. Jango_Fett21

Apr 9, 2002

The bolded was debunked by Pablo Hidalgo's clarifying comment concerning the timing of the 'academy' attack and Kylo/Ben's fall to the Dark Side.