main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series How do you think Rebels will handle the EU?

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by Darth Wookiee, Feb 26, 2014.

1. Darth Wookiee

Darth Wookiee Jedi Master star 3

Nov 29, 2013
    What retcons will be in this show?

whostheBossk likes this.
  2. Erik_B

Erik_B Jedi Padawan star 1

Feb 11, 2014
    Stormtroopers not being clones, and hence clones fighting for the rebels.

New origin story for the X-Wing so it can appear in the series.

3. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    Retcon everything

4. DANNASUK

DANNASUK Force Ghost star 7

Nov 1, 2012
    The EU is not cannon. So it will be ignored.

darth_mccartney and cwustudent like this.
  5. Erik_B

Feb 11, 2014

I don't know. I don't think they are going to feel in any way bound by old stuff, but they might borrow from the EU. Or even pursue the EU down alleyways to beat it unconscious and rifle its pockets for loose plots.

6. DANNASUK

DANNASUK Force Ghost star 7

Nov 1, 2012
    Well, if they can rename the ancient Sith homeworld and potentially cut out all the pre-Bane Sith history....

7. Erik_B

Feb 11, 2014
    They referenced COMPNOR (The Commission for the Preservation of the New Order) on the promotional art cards they sent out to promote Rebels a while back.

[​IMG]

And that is hard core West End Games RPG fluff.

So while I don't think they will in any way let the old EU get in their way, they might actually be less militant about avoiding any connections to the EU than Lucas was.

8. Swashbucklingjedi

Swashbucklingjedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 3, 2010
    I think that it will handle EU much like TCW did- sometimes borrow things from it and maybe change them little bit, sometimes ignore it and overwrite it and sometimes have little easter eggs that EU-fans can find. I see no reason for absolute steamrolling of everything EU but I don't think that they will care about all stories or existing continuity since EU is messy anyway what comes to OT-era.

Darth Kickass likes this.
  9. Dark Lord Tarkas

Dark Lord Tarkas Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 29, 2011
    I see bonus content spoilers. :_|

10. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    They will not hesitate one moment to disregard and overwrite the EU.

Sable_Hart likes this.
  11. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    Very true. But they apparently won't hesitate to use it from time to time, either. :p

12. Praenomen Cognomen

Praenomen Cognomen Jedi Master star 4

Mar 24, 2013
    There's hardcore EU loyalty already on display. From the COMPNOR stuff mentioned above, to the confirmation of Lasat as the name of Zeb's species, they're clearly not changing anything that doesn't need to be changed. Plots and events? Yes, as they likely should. But elements of the universe? No. They're clearly not changing anything that doesn't need to be changed, or the above examples would have been axed for something less unwieldy.

The bonus content spoiler mentioned above? I guarantee you that's Lucas' doing, with his H.O. for Sith puns.

VanishingReality and Revanfan1 like this.
  13. Admiral_Wyvern

Admiral_Wyvern Jedi Master star 2

Feb 14, 2014
    I personally think the new movies and series will cancel out the established EU. In the case of the movies it seems that they would have no choice if they want them to be accessible to most people.
    What I would like to see is them drawing ideas from the best of the EU and not changing things unless it is necessary. Although if they are really changing Korriban's name it would seem they are not even doing this.
    Ultimately, what matters to me is the story. As long as they can deliver a good story I can live with whatever changes they make.

14. mes520

mes520 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    How TCW did or how the new movies will. However that is...

15. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Yep. [face_plain]

And if I see clones fighting with the Rebels, I will weave a tapestry of obscenity that will hang in space somewhere over Mortis.

My answer to the OP would be "however the hell they want."

16. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    That's basically how I see it as well. They will use, tweak, and overwrite whatever they choose and it doesn't matter if it needs it or not. Whatever they think will suit Disney they'll do.

CT-867-5309 likes this.
  17. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011

"Use it" however they want to, which will likely be inconsistent with previously established EU.

I mean, you guys see Inquisitors, Sienar and all that stuff....do you think it will be consistent with EU? It will be whatever they want it to be.

Sienar could be a law firm run by Jar Jar, if they want it to. And that will be the new Sienar.

Does anyone buy that Dave Filoni is such a huge EU fan and wants to maintain continuity? I don't, this is the same guy that said this:

rdhight, Darth_Pevra and Revanfan1 like this.
  18. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    I think they will do the same thing they did in the clone wars.

19. Praenomen Cognomen

Praenomen Cognomen Jedi Master star 4

Mar 24, 2013
    Oh yeah, of course, because they're not actually trying to make something good... it's not like they spent years reading the EU themselves, and there's no way they got into this industry because of their imaginations and creative talents, but they're doing this because a Disney executive implanted control chips in their brains. I mean, it's not like anybody could possibly improve upon the amazing foundation laid by the likes of Kevin J. Anderson, so I don't know what they think they're doing, making these minor changes they like to make.

:rolleyes:

Pfluegermeister likes this.
  20. TaradosGon

TaradosGon Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 28, 2003
    Considering Weisman said he wanted Rebels to appeal to the "harcore fans" out there that know all of the lore, I'm assuming that Rebels will honor the EU until the LFL Story Group tells the crew not to.

21. Darth Valkyrus

Darth Valkyrus Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 12, 2013
  22. CommanderDrenn

CommanderDrenn Jedi Knight star 4

Oct 19, 2013
    Hardcore according to whom? I consider myself a hardcore fan, having read 50+ EU books and watched the movies all 6 times at least, most upwards of 12 times (I don't own RotJ, unfortunately).

23. Darth Maul Apprentice

Darth Maul Apprentice Jedi Master star 4

Jan 27, 2014
    Disney's response. EU, what's that?

24. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I don't know who is considered "hardcore", but after getting the message from TCW of "**** you if you like Barriss Offee/Adi Gallia/Even Piell, this show is not for the hardcore fans, casual fans who have only seen dudes waving lightsabers on Spike TV are more important"--I find Weisman's statement refreshing.

Ichor_Razor and Contessa like this.
  25. Darth_Zandalor

Darth_Zandalor Jedi Master star 4

Aug 2, 2009
    However, Filoni has been known to make mistakes.... from time to time. Oh dear oh dear....