main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

How do you view DOTF?

Discussion in 'Star Wars And Film Music' started by Darth_Silenous, Oct 14, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth_Silenous

Darth_Silenous Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 21, 2002
    How do *you* consider DOTF and justify its appearance in the films? I've heard several theories:

a) DOTF is a theme expressing the tragic clash between Good and Evil (eg. Jedi vs. Sith)

b) DOTF functions as a descent motif, juxtaposing Anakin's heroic journey and eventual fall

c) DOTF was written for pacing and tension purposes only, and has no allegorical suggestion

d) a and b

e) Other various views

Any thoughts? This may seem obvious, but nearly everyone I speak with has a different point of view. I'd be interested in seeing your own take (Personally, I go with b; for my thoughts on the matter, I'll post a later reply.). Do explain why you think as you do!

:)

2. Jedi_Alman

Jedi_Alman Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 9, 2002
    I think that it is inserted at the critical point of the movie, where it is decided whether good or evil will prevail. Such as the duel in tPM, or Anakin's ride to the Tuskens in AotC. These are points of decision.

3. General Kenobi

General Kenobi Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 31, 1998
    Actually, I'd say a and c. Let me explain:

a. The theme is a clash/struggle between good & evil, THE most basic theme of Star Wars.

b. Well, since the initial (prequels) result of this clash is the fall of Anakin, this in effect can be seen as descent. But Anakin's journey is tragic.
    Thematically, I'd say that Anakin's, the Jedi's & the Republic's descent is marked by the Emperor's Theme & Imperial March. (Witness: Confession Scene.)

c. DOTF was written for pacing & tension, to match the action, but not solely for that purpose.

4. TenorAprentice

TenorAprentice Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 19, 2002
    I would say a mix between a and b. I feel like it is a theme that is allegorical of the larger struggle between the forces, but is used to show that most of that battle is waged internally. I really liked the shift from an actual fight to anakin's speeding off... for me it really helped me to get drawn into anakin's character. I am glad that they didn't use it in the Dooku fight, because I think that it would have cheapened the shift, and its absense shows that the true battle of this movie is not between sith and jedi, but solely within Anakin.

5. Darth_Silenous

Mar 21, 2002
    Neat thoughts, all. :)

Anakin's journey is tragic.

Is it really? I've always considered Anakin an epic hero -- tragic figures always tend to die in exile or end up in terrible situations (Oedipus, for example, has his eyes gouged; Jason loses his children and good name) -- and Anakin both redeems himself and fufills ancient prophecy. To me, he's the hero gone backwards -- or, more allegorically, a hero with a very long descent motif (twenty years as Vader).

*sighs* Guess that explains why I tend to go with b. I also see c though, too, just because the tempo of DOTF indeed plays an enormous role in onscreen tension (i.e. the role of film music).

6. General Kenobi

Dec 31, 1998
    Well, if you just take the PT, Anakin's journey is tragic.

Maybe a better way to say it is that Anakin is a tragic figure who is redeemed by Luke, who I consider the real hero of the saga.

But I like your rationale, Sil.

:)

7. george_starwars

george_starwars Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 23, 2002
    One word: overrated

8. Darth_Silenous

Mar 21, 2002
    Would you mind expounding on that view, George?

9. General Kenobi

Dec 31, 1998
    Getting back on topic, I guess I'd say that Anakin's descent shows that victory of the dark side in the battle "in the head" as well as the obvious one "most dread". Hence, I think that, thematically, the Emperor's Theme & Imperial March serve that purpose, while DOTF serves the struggle where the good side still holds sway.

10. Jeff 42

Jeff 42 Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 14, 1998
    I would say a. In TPM DotF is used for an external clash between good and evil when the Jedi battle the Sith. In AotC it is used for Anakin's internal battle between good and evil. In both cases, a "duel of the fates." It also is good for pacing/tension. :)

11. _dArTh_SoLo

_dArTh_SoLo Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 11, 2002
    b) DOTF functions as a descent motif, juxtaposing Anakin's heroic journey and eventual fall

it's kinda like a, but I think it is more b because we'll see in Episode III...

I love how its used in AOTC though, just genius in that one scene.

12. Darth_Silenous

Mar 21, 2002
    Ken:

Hence, I think that, thematically, the Emperor's Theme & Imperial March serve that purpose, while DOTF serves the struggle where the good side still holds sway.

Excellent point. I never have looked at it like that before. [face_shocked]

Jeff: Cool. I pretty much can agree with that. :)

SoLo: I like it too, but Williams has stated that the only reason he put it there was for pacing/tension. I personally think it's very allegorical, however, so I'm certain he was just pulling the reporter's leg...

13. george_starwars

Oct 23, 2002
    When I say "overrated" I am certainly NOT saying that DOTF is bad. Let me say that it is something that only the genuis that John Williams is could create. But to hear people talk about it on these forms, you would think that they had never herd Star Wars music before. I have to go with a. I mean just look at the name: Duel of the Fates. Anyway, thats my take. :)

14. General Kenobi

Dec 31, 1998
    I always "herd" my SW music into my car before a long drive....

:p [face_laugh]

15. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000
    None; IMO, it's Evil triumphing over good. It's name is Duel of the Fates, after all. It's put in at a point of decision, granted- the TPM duel and Anakin riding off to save his mother...and while it may seem that good triumphs in one of those scenes (the TPM duel), it really doesn't. Note that a quiet version of the chanting is used as Maul's motif in TPM; it's really a theme for evil triumphing. Note it isn't played when Obi-Wan offs Maul. This is good winning, obviously..however, the chant is used when Qui-Gon is killed, and in the scenes leading up to that. And obviously, what happens after it's used in Episode II isn't good.

16. TenorAprentice

TenorAprentice Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 19, 2002
    nice thoughts... however, if that was it's true intent, we would hear it DURING the scene when ani offs the tuskans, not just before it. I think that before, there was still conflict, and the outcome was yet to be determined.

I almost like to think of it as a subtle Greek Chorus. During key points of interpretation in Greek Drama, the Chorus would come in and tell the audience what is going on, just in case they missed it. I think that in some ways, DOTF is performing this function, but without the interpretation that the Chorus offers.

17. Princess_Ewok

Princess_Ewok Jedi Youngling

Oct 26, 2002
    I love the Sanskrit. It sounds kinda like Latin but it's not.

I pick "a" but the pacing is great too.

18. _dArTh_SoLo

_dArTh_SoLo Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 11, 2002
    as GL said on the "Beginning" documentary, it is basically spelling the impending doom....that's why it will work so well in III.

19. hairybutt

hairybutt Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 29, 2002
    I tend to view it like this

[image=http://www.mitchelswoodfarm.com/images/riding/donkey.jpg]

20. Darth_Silenous

Mar 21, 2002
    8-} @ halibut

Tenor, your point about the Greek chorus was excellent. Definitely puts things into perspective -- after all, SW is mythology, and the prequels are, as Ken so succinctly mentioned earlier, dramatic. The choir was an integral part of the Greek drama, and naturally, is a part of SW. Super insight there. :)

21. CopernicusDent

CopernicusDent Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 4, 2001
    I kind of think of DOTF as the force theme for the prequel trilogy. I kind of hope that notion transmogrifies in Episode III, that the force theme becomes more of Ben?s theme, as it was in "Hope".

22. Obi-tres

Obi-tres Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 15, 2002
    Duel of the fates IS overrated. its the same theme about 87000 times

23. General Kenobi

Dec 31, 1998
    I've listened to DOTF quite a bit since 1999, and I'm pretty sure I haven't heard the theme a total of 87,000 times.

And the SW scores are based primarily on thematic material.

24. Oakessteve

Oakessteve Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 9, 1999
    "How do you view DOTF?"

I don't view it, I listen to it. Mwhahaha! [face_laugh]

Sorry, bad joke. [face_blush]

25. george_starwars

Oct 23, 2002
    Oakessteve: Hey, it's true though.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.