main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

How do you view God?

Discussion in 'Archive: The Senate Floor' started by Virgilius, Oct 30, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth_Volcaneous

Darth_Volcaneous Jedi Youngling

Dec 29, 2005
    Thank you, I was waiting for someone to say something along these lines. Now these are my beliefs and are not meant to cause offence to anyone else.

You are right in your thinking of God reserving a waiting room but his waiting room was the grave. See I believe that everybody is "sleeping" in a sense but it is more like nothing. They don't know time. Just like when you goto sleep you don't know how long you've slept till you look at the time. So when someone is dead they remember nothing. It is just like sleep. I don't believe in the rapture or the 7 year tribulation. I believe in pre-tribulation, which is to say that God will protect the saved while the unsaved go through the tribulation. Then Christ will return. Satan will be stuck on earth for 1000 years to do absolutly nothing. Then the New Jeruselum and everybody in it (all of the saved) will return to earth for the last battle. All of the unsaved will rise and try to attack the city, but then hell will start to burn and will last until Satan himself is burnt up.

if you have any questions please visit my denomination's website

2. AnakinsGirl

AnakinsGirl Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 2, 2001
    Well everyone believes different versions of the "truth"? Each one is backed by solid theology developed by scholars and theologians...but which one is right? Everyone thinks that THEIR version makes more sense....well, it's just the same with any other religion. So why do we reject their belief systems if "we" (as in Christians) can't even agree on one static version of truth? How do we then know who is right, or THAT we are right?

I was taught that it was not a waiting room, that it was indeed hell that Jesus descended into. I'm not saying your explanation is wrong because it seems to make sense....but then, like I said, who is right? If such a discrepancy can arise over the mistranslation of one word, how is the Bible at all reliable?

3. darthOB1

darthOB1 Force Ghost star 5

Mar 22, 2000
    It helps to look through multiple translations to determine the "truth" of the matter.
    Jesus gave use the answer as to how we can know who is right. He said by their fruits you will recognize the true followers of his teachings.

4. Darth_Overlord

Darth_Overlord Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 28, 2001
    Well everyone believes different versions of the "truth"? Each one is backed by solid theology developed by scholars and theologians...but which one is right? Everyone thinks that THEIR version makes more sense....well, it's just the same with any other religion. So why do we reject their belief systems if "we" (as in Christians) can't even agree on one static version of truth? How do we then know who is right, or THAT we are right?

I was taught that it was not a waiting room, that it was indeed hell that Jesus descended into. I'm not saying your explanation is wrong because it seems to make sense....but then, like I said, who is right? If such a discrepancy can arise over the mistranslation of one word, how is the Bible at all reliable?

I think about this dilemma all the time. I even talked about this briefly in another thread recently. The thing is it is logically impossible for all religions to be correct. There is no way for humans to come upon the "truth" without some sort of divine revelation. Of the relevatory religions, only the Catholic and Orthodox Churches (that I know of) have any claim to an objective, infallible interpretation of the revelation as well. Without that, it can be interpreted in any way imaginable, to various degrees of credibility. That would defeat the purpose of giving any sort of revelation in the first place. Agnosticism also remains as an option, but agnosticism implies an impersonal God, so whether or not God exists makes little difference in this belief system.

None of this means that the other religions are evil or totally wrong or that all their followers are guaranteed a ticket to hell. There are good and beautiful parts of all religions, but they lack what is called the "fullness of the truth."

5. EnforcerSG

EnforcerSG Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 12, 2001
    Darth_Overlord

I think about this dilemma all the time. I even talked about this briefly in another thread recently. The thing is it is logically impossible for all religions to be correct. There is no way for humans to come upon the "truth" without some sort of divine revelation.

What if the truth has nothing to do with anything divine? Or that the truth is that there is nothing divine?

6. Darth_Overlord

Darth_Overlord Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 28, 2001
    Then we have no way of knowing. The result is functionally the same as agnosticism.

If there is no Divine, then there is no Divine to tell us there is no Divine, and the question remains open forever.

7. Darth-Schwartz

Darth-Schwartz Jedi Master star 4

Apr 16, 2002
    Character in a book.

8. Valkor

Valkor Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 11, 2002

God = Love

All you need is Love

it's easy

;)

9. agap_afima

agap_afima Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 19, 2005
    Just believe.

10. AnakinsGirl

Nov 2, 2001
    Well, considering nothing in this world is EVER that simple, it is hard for me to believe that the source of infinite knowledge and power in the universe would be that simple to comprehend.

No, I need to know ALOT more than some vague message about "love", whatever that is, anyways. Who decided that was all I needed to know, anyways? Some person who thought they could condense the entire message of centuries of theological and philisophical thought into one little catchphrase, a puny little soundbyte that makes it easier for simple-minded people to understand the search for the being that defines the entire human species, the mystery that spans the millenia homosapiens have spent ponering their awareness?

I'm sorry, but that doesn't cut it for me. And if that cuts it for you, that I am sorry to know that there is at least one person in this universe satisfied to live such a thoughtless existence.

11. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    Love isn't simple, we still don't understand it! Love is as much of a mystery as God. God is love. That justs means that when we figure one of them out, we'll know what the other is.

12. AnakinsGirl

Nov 2, 2001
    No, I'm saying we won't. And she is saying that's all we NEED to know about this elusive "God". I beg to differ. You can have a glimpse of understanding about love and yet that doesn't clarify anything written in any religious texts anywhere in the world, and more specifically in this case, the bible. According to Christians and their idea of God, just knowing that God is love is definitely not sufficient to justify the existence of their God. THAT is what I am saying.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.