main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series How do you want the mandalorian to be portrayed in the clone wars?

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by cain718, Nov 17, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. koonfan

koonfan Jedi Knight star 4

Oct 15, 2008
    Sometimes a biased perspective is intentional, sometimes it's unintentional...either way, you get an unreliable narrator. :p
    Well, I'm glad that at least that's more of an example, for what it's worth.
    Bear in mind, however, that what Mary Sues ARE similar to grown characters: They have skills and likable traits, and are admired by other characters. There are differences, though, and here are the ones I feel are objective differences:

-Growing characters are depicted as going through TRIALS in order to gain power. Mary Sues tend to wave their hand and get stronger instantly or say "My trials happened off screen". Now, both Jedi and Mandalorians are trained from birth in formidable combat arts, and the Jedi have laws on their side most of the time while the Mandalorians have many superior...things. However, much attention has been given to how one should kill a Jedi and how their peacekeeping doesn't always mean they're good warriors. The new Mandalorians haven't really had time enough to go into 'the other side', so there is less exposure to their faults except for what we already know.

-Growing characters either develop new traits with time (e.g. a warrior learning to trust others), or have flaws that serve to contrast them (e.g. every single hotheaded hero who charges in recklessly). Mary Sues may have 'adorable' flaws or 'tragic drama' flaws, but they don't really affect their personality. They pretty much come equipped with everything they need to make friends and be perfect.

-Growing characters usually have friends or people who admire them, but there are also antagonists or even just people they disagree with. Even their friends might have arguments with them based on personality and beliefs. Mary Sues don't really do that very often, as they are defined by becoming the very center of attention. The universe revolves around them as everyone heaps praises and admiration upon their shoulders at no extra cost. The only reason someone would even remotely doubt a Mary Sue would be so that the author can show how WRONG they are.
    Whatever your take on the Jedi or the Mandos, ultimately it doesn't matter how many of those traits connect to them: We are the ones who define our reality. :p

The thing is, Thorn, there ARE precedents for calling out Mandalorians for being flawed, heartless conquerors. On the other hand, using such strong sweeping words on the Jedi is EXTREMELY hard to pull off, not only because of their history of doing good, but also because their issues are EXPLORED. You have Jedi doubting what they're doing, you have Jedi who leave because it's wrong, you have Jedi who are so blinded by war that they accept it, you have Jedi who compromise and say it's a sad necessity...

2. Dynoblaze

Dynoblaze Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 16, 2010
    Well, Fandalorians can be happy. Next weeks episode.....FANSERVICE!!!!!!! :)

One lone Mando is sent to kill a senator. And this one man army is going to cause MASSIVE MAYHEM!!!! Gimme a F an A a N a S an E a R a V an I a C and an E!!!

This raises a very important question. Why do some of the grunts seem to kick more ass than the leader? Pretzel really ought to be shot for "failure to live up to head villain standards." I mean what kind of leader are you when THE FACELESS NO NAMERS KICK MORE ASS THAN YOU!!?!!!

Really though, they better slip in a comment about the commando next week being part of an elite guard or something.

3. Robimus

Robimus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 6, 2007
    Can you point me towards this? Novels the like of Dark Lord don't portray it that way. If you can be more specific I'd love to take a look at it.

As for Jedi being the protagonists, thats way too broad a description in my eyes. Luke, Han, Leia and Vader would be the protaganists in the OT with Anakin, Obi-Wan and Padme filling that role in the PT. in a broad scope the entire saga is about the Skywalkers, not the Jedi.

The Jedi, like the Sith, like the Gungan's and like many others are supporting characters. Important no doubt, but not the protagonists.

Now books/comics/TV Series can assign whatever protagonists they want to there story. In the case of the Brian Daley's Han Solo adventures that is Han and Chewie, in the Case of Dark Times its Vader and Dass Jennir, so on. The Star Wars universe in no way revolves around the Jedi exclusivly

4. Asharak

Asharak Jedi Master star 4

Apr 23, 2003
    I thought Tal Merrick was a pretty badass Mando, he handled the situation pretty expertly. To bad he is dead, it would have been cool to see him in armor.

5. Robimus

Jul 6, 2007
    Yeah, I liked him as well. And he's a Prince no less.

6. LawJedi

LawJedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 11, 2009
    What do the fandolor... er, EU fans think of Satine saying that she is the Regent of 1500 systems? Does that fit with the established history?

It certainly would explain Dooku's interest in her.

7. Asharak

Apr 23, 2003
    "1500 systems"

I sincerely doubt GL and DF have really thought through the simple impossibility of managing such a huge federation. I know that the republic has like a gazillion star systems attached to it, but it?s the type of idea that only works when you don?t really think about it.

By the way: Can anybody describe the preview for the next episode to me? It sounds like it was awesome, but so far I have seen no real description of it.

8. Dynoblaze

Dynoblaze Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 16, 2010
    Narrator "When the Mandalorian Death Watch wants you dead" *Mando Sniper peers through sniper scope* "they really want you dead" *Same Mando hits a shiny red button. Speeder blows up* Hear Dooku say "Send a Death Watch assassin to Coresnaut." Quick footage of this Mando grunt kicking all sorts of ass (Obi-Wan, Guards, etc.) and running and shooting at Satine. Then shot of this Mando tossing an Orange and looking very badass. End preview of next weeks episode titled "Fanservice."

9. CaptainYossarian

CaptainYossarian Jedi Master star 3

Mar 30, 2003

Satine is the leader of the Council of Neutral Systems which has 1500 members, so she may only speak for them in matters of opposing the war, not other matters of governance. Many systems would maybe not actually be doing much in the war anyway so it is relatively easy for such a large number to claim neutrality.

10. LawJedi

Jan 11, 2009
    Ah-hah, that makes sense!

So then, if the Senators are called her "royal court," maybe the Duchess title is for her role in the CNS, and she can still have the title of "Mandalore" on her home world.

11. Robimus

Jul 6, 2007
    She wouldn't go near the title Mandalore, she won't even admit that Mandalorian Warriors outside the Death Watch exist.

12. LawJedi

Jan 11, 2009
    Shh!!! I was trying to help! ;)

13. Asharak

Apr 23, 2003
    Thanks for the description, I have now seen the trailer though.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.