main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series How do you want the mandalorian to be portrayed in the clone wars?

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by cain718, Nov 17, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mandoman77

mandoman77 Jedi Youngling

Dec 17, 2009
    Yes Oya may indeed mean lets hunt, as in lets hunt Jedi, or Pacifist Mandos. And Optimus Prime likes to say "Lets roll" as did that hard charger who helped thwart off those 911 attackers that tried and failed to fly a plane into the Pentagon building. So Koonfan I just want to say thanks for lumping me in with a truely Mando bunch of Guys. And as an ex military guy whan I hear Oya I think Ho ya, or Ho ra, Ho aw, or ya know any other way to say lets get this mother Fierfeker on!

Peace and chicken grease Ner vod!

2. koonfan

koonfan Jedi Knight star 4

Oct 15, 2008
    :confused:...I'm just going to play it safe and apologise for being a bit much, even though you sound pretty happy. :p

Well, at any rate, THIS should prove interesting indeed. XD

3. mandoman77

Dec 17, 2009
    Koonfan, I accept. And you have my respect since it was I who was being over the top. It's kinda my MO. What's MO in Mando anyway. Well the bottom line is while I'm figuring out MO in Mando for me I will figure out gentlemen for you.

Vode An

4. ILuvJarJar

ILuvJarJar Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 19, 2008
    I Agree.

5. Earthknight

Earthknight Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 3, 2002
    I want them to be ruthless and bada**. The type of warriors that take no prisoners. Also I want an epic duel between Rex and the Mandalorian leader.

6. Fistofan55

Fistofan55 Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 7, 2009
    Don't we all. Well... most of us....
    I'm disapointed that no one has bothered to try and scan those Star Wars Insider pages and post pics of them. There is nice Mando image in the last one.

These new mandos are not lame.

7. fanboyskywalker

fanboyskywalker Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 3, 2008
    Personally, the MANDALORIANS look a little off in the new animation. The T-visor is too elongated for my tastes. Hopefully they have some cool gadgets ala Boba Fett had when he first showed up and also they have different paint schemes than all looking like Jango.

8. mandoman77

Dec 17, 2009
    TCW kills off troopers like flys to bright light zappers, and I have thought why haven't they even try'd to mention, show, or otherwise acknowledge Republic Commandos or even Arc troopers, and now it is clear to me GL and crew are all show and no go. Comics, Video games are many times so brutal. But when it comes to cannon issues, public prosoana ect, PG it is. Ba,m humbug I say! Let the bodies hit the floor, and the Mando/ Commandos not be ignored.

But that's just this A'den's POV.

9. Humble_Jedi

Humble_Jedi Jedi Master star 4

Oct 14, 2004
    I do agree we should be seeing Republic Commandos and Arc Troopers. I've been saying this for a long time.

10. Fistofan55

Fistofan55 Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 7, 2009
    Hell nooooo! Republic Commandos can just suck it! They are way overrated and would make every last cool clone in the series look like cannon fodder. It's bad enough that Denal, Buzz, Matchstick, Broadside, and Axe are dead.

Arc Troopers are a yes though. Bring on Fordo!!!!!

11. Robimus

Robimus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 6, 2007
    I thin the Commando's could fit in well in a one shot story. It won't happen though, at least that my suspicion.

I truly don't think they would make the other clones look bad in any way. Cody and Rex don't despite the obvious character shields.

12. sluggo

sluggo Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 10, 2001
    I think it will be a combo of them being a 3rd fraction and part of the CIS. I doubt the Mandalorians will be used by the CIS on other planets/systems and help Dooku fight the war on all fronts. However they will join the CIS out of a desire not to be part of the Republic and fight the Jedi and republic on their own planet/system. If there are 2-3 factions of Mandalorians, maybe some of them loyal to and wantt o stay with the Republic, some want to leave.

I havn't seen anyone else mentiont his, but in the trailer you can see a lightsaber on the Mandalorians belt at the end of the seasons 2 trailer. It could be a trohy, but he only has 1, not several like I think you'd have with trophys. Are they going to turn the Mandalorians into lightsaber weilding warriors?

13. AhsokaMiro

AhsokaMiro Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 21, 2008
    That's the feeling I get as well. Duchess's faction is for peace, "Favreau Fett" is against it due to long-standing Jedi-hatred.

Last time someone mentioned this, someone else who'd looked at the trailer frame-by-frame said it was Obi-Wan's saber, presumably stolen in battle shortly before that shot. I'm cool with that.

14. sluggo

Dec 10, 2001
    I hope its not Obi-wans. If I was part of a group of warriors that wanted to kill another group that used a specific weapon that wasn't easy to fight against, I'd learn how to use their weapon to fight them with it. It makes a lot of sense that the Mandalorians would learn to use lightsabers specificly to use them against Jedi. Not unlike Gen. Grievous.

15. MercenaryAce

MercenaryAce Chosen One star 6

Aug 10, 2005
    What? No, rule number one in fighting is never, ever fight the enemy of his terms.
    A Jedi's reflexes and precognitive cannot be beaten in melee. It is best to hit them at range. Blasters if you have too, but sonic weapons are better, as are shotguns and cortosis bullets.

Traps are also good, and unusual melee weapons are ok, but going after them with their own weapon is rather silly. Especially since the Jedi's ally, or an unconventional jedi, could just shoot you before you get into range.

Grievous does fine because he is cyborg, and his reflexes are almost as good as a jedi, which he then more than makes up for with his unpredictable fighting style.

16. Qui-Gon_Reborn

Qui-Gon_Reborn Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 11, 2008
    I don't know, they seem pretty go to me. :p I say we've had more than enough clone-centered episodes, wherein the clones have been portrayed perfectly, the best that's been done in any EU material. I have the utmost confidence that the Mandos will be portrayed with similar skill: as brutal killers who really don't know where they're going, but keep trying to get there. :p

17. Robimus

Robimus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 6, 2007
    Well I guess the few that aren't the dominate pacifist Mandalorians might:p

18. sluggo

Dec 10, 2001
    But in the Star Wars universe there really is no......match for a lightsaber. It can cut through ther melee weapons, and deflect blaster fire back at you. If you get into a melee battle with a Jedi you need that weapon to be able to hold your own. Sure you go with traps, explosives, flame throws etc... but if they have a superior weapon at melee, you better be able to use to hold your own incase you end up there.

You want to see how a "normal man" can take out someone with superior reflexs etc... - look at how death stroke took out Flash in Idenity Crisis.?

19. Gry Sarth

Gry Sarth Ex 2x Banhammer Wielding Besalisk Mod star 5

Jun 24, 1999
    MercenaryAce made a great point. A lightsaber is an awesome weapon in the hands of a Jedi. For a normal person it's bound to do more harm than good, and you can't possibly hope to match the proficiency level of a Jedi with it (nevermind Cato). Anyone thinking of engaging Jedi would be better served thinking up different strategies and weaponry to overcome them. Like jetpacks to gain territorial advantage and missile launchers to make a devastating unblockable attack.

20. koonfan

koonfan Jedi Knight star 4

Oct 15, 2008
    Yeah, close quarters combat are really more of an absolute last resort when fighting Jedi. HK-47 gave a pretty good explanation on anti-Jedi tactics which Gry and MercenaryAce pointed out...
    -Use mines, traps, and unavoidable attacks
    -Disrupt their concentration
    -Take out any of their vulnerable allies

At any rate, Mandalorians have their own melee weapons, and Mandalorian Iron IS lightsaber resistant, so they might not need a lightsaber. A skilled fighter might be able to fight for a short while with a Jedi's weapon, but wouldn't last that long I imagine.

The Mando might be carrying a saber for a few reasons...
    -It's just a trophy that either looks just like Obi-Wan's saber, or it was from a previous fight
    -It's an emergency weapon if things get up close and personal
    -They hold onto any sabers they can get their hands on to deprive the Jedi they're fighting of their weapons (then again, why not stash it somewhere instead of bringing it straight to the fight? Oh yeah. Warrior pride :p)

In any case, I guess it's a good idea to have a back-up even if it's dangerous...like a self-destruct mechanism. [face_skull]

21. sluggo

Dec 10, 2001
    Any weapon can be effective in anyones hand if they are trained.

If yo're going to take on a Jedi, you better a plan for when/if he closes the distance and attacks you in his arena. What melee weapon can match a lightsaber? Thats why a warrior trained to take on a Jedi would want to know how to use a lightsaber. Not to depend completely and soly on it, but if they need it they know how to use it. Is that not why Aurra Sing carrys one? Sure shes force sensative and had some training with the Jedi, but only until what, she was 9? Not excatly a fully trained Jedi, barely a padawan.

Jango Fett clearly knew how to engage a Jedi using blasters and other weapons and had no fear of take them. He did fine against Obi-Wan and killed one in the arena. But once Mace closed the distance how well did he do? If he could have quickly pulled out his own lightsaber, blocked a blow or two, stopped Maces advance, then go back out of Maces range maybe he keeps his head.

You definatly wouldn't want to fight a Jedi on his terms but if you know you're going to fighting them, you better be able to fight on their terms.

22. MercenaryAce

Aug 10, 2005

But in the Star Wars universe there really is no......match for a lightsaber. It can cut through ther melee weapons, and deflect blaster fire back at you. If you get into a melee battle with a Jedi you need that weapon to be able to hold your own. Sure you go with traps, explosives, flame throws etc... but if they have a superior weapon at melee, you better be able to use to hold your own incase you end up there.

No, there are other melee weapons that can block lightsabers, some that even short out lightsabers. Though melee weaponry is always a last resort.
    In case you end up in melee range, surrender is really the best option.
    Plus, they can deflect blaster bolts (though, once again, you need enhanced reflexes to do that, a normal person with a lightsaber would get blown away.), but they cannot deflect sonic guns, stun blasts (those are waves, not rays) or bullets (a lightsaber would melt a normal bullet, but that would still get the jedi a face full of molten metal, and a cortosis bullet would short out a lightsaber.)

Any weapon can be effective in anyones hand if they are trained.

Incorrect. Canonically, a normal individual is more likely to injure themsevles than a oppenant using a lightsaber (little weight and weight means it is hard to keep track of the blade, and then -whoops- I cut my own leg tendons.)
    More to the point, there is the Marvel Star Wars story of Baron Tagge. Baron Tagge, in a quest to defeat Darth Vader, trained himself in the use of the lightsaber. A lot. Obsessively actually.
    He ended up going against Luke Skywalker, at this point a very inexperienced jedi who had never been in a lightsaber fight before.
    Luke dominated the fight. Despite Baron Tagge's expeariance and training, he could not penetrate Luke's defenses, but Luke could see what Tagge was doing before he did it, and always had the appropriate counter ready.

In the end the lightsaber does not make the jedi deadly, the jedi makes the lightsaber deadly.

You definatly wouldn't want to fight a Jedi on his terms but if you know you're going to fighting them, you better be able to fight on their terms.
    If you are fighting the enemy on his terms, then you have already lost.
    Instead, preparation should be taken to make sure the enemy fights on your terms.
    And always have an escape handy in case things go bad.

23. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    That's why he said "if they are trained". And "effective" doesn't connote an automatic win.

24. MercenaryAce

Aug 10, 2005
    My point was that Baron Tagge was trained. Very well trained.

For another example, Cato is commented on by Filoni to be a good swordsman, but still was not able to use a lightsaber effectively against Ashoka, a padawan who was handicapped by the need to capture Cato without harming her.

Besides, it doesn't really matter because regardless of how effectively you can use it, the jedi can use it more effectively than you, so the time and effort to master the lightsaber is better spent learning how to use a weapon made to counter the jedi...or some other skill that may come in handy.

25. sluggo

Dec 10, 2001
    Self practiced and trained aren't the samething. I can give you a gun and all the ammo you'll ever need, doesn' tmean you'll learn to shoot and draw it properly and as effectively as if you were properly trained.

Again, Jango didn't have that option, how'd it work out for him?

Again, ANYONE can learn to use ANY weapon. If you are planning to face the business end of a lightsaber, you'd want to be able to repel that attack. The best way is with a lighsaber. You're talkinga bout duels are something, I'm not.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.