main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

How Does He Know?

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by Esperanza_Nueva, Jun 7, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Esperanza_Nueva

Esperanza_Nueva Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 23, 2003
    ever since TPM i've been thinkin a lot about the whole midichlorian thing.. now, i think i understand this.. but correct me if i'm wrong..

if my understanding is correct, midichlorians are not passed down by blood, but instead they grow inside people who are destined to become Jedi. I assumed this after I learned in AotC that Jedi arent supposed to marry and have children. So midichlorians couldnt be passed down from generation to generation. How then, did Obi-Wan just "know" that Luke would be strong with the force?? or Leia for that same matter... and even if midichlorians could be passed from generation to generation how could Obi-Wan know this?

So why don't we see Obi-Wan giving Luke a midichlorian test in ANH? He just assumes that Luke has these force powers. I mean, will Obi-Wan really have time or actually think about giving both babies midichlorian tests in Ep III?? I was always under the impression that Owen kept Luke far away from Obi-Wan

2. AdamBertocci

AdamBertocci Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 3, 2002
    He sensed it.

And remember, the midi-chlorian test was not to determine if Anakin had the Force -- Qui-Gon sensed that himself. He wanted to CONFIRM that Anakin had a whole load of 'em, because he knew that this was no ordinary Force-strong person.

Rick McCallum loves you!

3. MariahJade2

MariahJade2 Former Fan Fiction Archive Editor star 5 VIP

Mar 18, 2001
    I always thought that everyone had midiclorians, but that only Jedi, and potential Jedi had enough to be able to tap into the Force.

4. YodaJediMaster12

YodaJediMaster12 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 26, 2002
    I definitely concur with what AdamBertocci said. However, I also think that even though midichlorian counts are not inherited traits, Obi-Wan probably figured that the offspring of the supposed Chosen One would be strong in the Force as well simply because of the will of the Force or something like that.

5. DamonD

DamonD Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 22, 2002
    Maybe he checks up on them in Ep3. But Adam's got it right, Qui-Gon's MD check was just to see exactly how sensitive to the Force Anakin was.

6. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    I don't like midichlorians! They are rough.. and corny! And they are everywhere!

Have a nice day and a good night//TCF

7. Bib Fortuna Twi'lek

Bib Fortuna Twi'lek Jedi Youngling star 10

Jul 9, 1999
    Force sensitivity is a genetic trait that can be passed on. That's why Luke and Leia, the offspring of Anakin, are strong in the Force, as are Leia's three children.

8. jedi_master_ousley

jedi_master_ousley Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2002
    Yep, and because the other Jedi didn't marry and have children, he didn't know until Luke and Leia came along, when he could sense them through the Force.

9. darkcide

darkcide Jedi Master star 4

Jun 17, 2003
    Leia's children? That's EU,it doesn't count.

10. Spike2002

Spike2002 Former FF-UK RSA and Arena Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 4, 2002
    Fraid it does.

11. Bib Fortuna Twi'lek

Jul 9, 1999
    Leia's children? That's EU,it doesn't count.

Why? Because you say so?

12. Sophita

Sophita Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 24, 2002
    Probably because so far as the rules go (unless something's changed drastically from the last time I checked in here), it's considered that the movies are the only definiative evidence; the EU can be presented as a solution but can't be presented as the only solution. [face_plain]

My guess is they can be passed down through genes but can also be a random "mutation" in the force; kind of like how some diseases are more likely to occur if you have a familiy history of them, and some just seem to pop up randomly. (Hope that analogy made sense.) Otherwise Jedi probably would have been wiped out from being inbred between a few select families so much, since it seems that the majority of the GFFA isn't forcesensative, or at least not force sensative enough to become Jedi.

13. jedi_master_ousley

Jun 14, 2002
    Probably because so far as the rules go (unless something's changed drastically from the last time I checked in here), it's considered that the movies are the only definiative evidence; the EU can be presented as a solution but can't be presented as the only solution.

And there's also a piece in the rules that says you can't reject something just because it's EU. It works both ways.

Anyway, Obi-Wan could obviously sense the Force in L&L, and being offspring of the chosen one they had to be strong in the Force.

14. Sophita

Sophita Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 24, 2002
    True, the guy should have worded it better, it was kinda rude.

But you can't force someone to accept something from the EU, that's my point. *shrugs*

Oh well, to each his own. :D

15. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    And remember, Obi-Wan has been kind of watching Luke from the shadows for 20 years. It's not as if this is someone he doesn't know anything about. He would know if Luke was strong in the Force by then.

-sj loves kevin spacey

16. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    I believe that I heard about a quote from Lucas to the effect that the Jedi aren't celibate, they just can't form attachments. Thus, if they wanted to impregnate a prostitute or some other random person who they don't know "sperm donor style" then they coul conceivably do so. If those kids were then picked up by the Jedi, the genetic relation would probably be noted, and thus they would've built up a number of cases over the years that would give them experience with such issues.

17. jeedai_master_ousley

jeedai_master_ousley Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 5, 2003
    On the other hand, I doubt if too many Jedi see prostitutes on the side. ;)

18. DamonD

DamonD Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 22, 2002
    Ki-Adi Mundi definitely doesn't need to...

19. jeedai_master_ousley

jeedai_master_ousley Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 5, 2003
    Yep, he has to keep.. er.. reproducing to make sure the Cerean race does not die out.

20. MeBeJedi

MeBeJedi Force Ghost star 6

May 30, 2002
    What a true patriot - makes me want to go out and support the American Way! :D

21. Dark Lady Mara

Dark Lady Mara Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 19, 1999
    I doubt if too many Jedi see prostitutes on the side.

Maybe I'm just making this up, but I thought I read once that Jedi were allowed to have children, just not in wedlock. (Sounds like your kind of relationship, MBJ. :D )

22. jedi_master_ousley

Jun 14, 2002
    Ki-Adi Mundi was allowed to have a wife to preserve the Cerean species. They were about to die out. Whatever else you read was most likely fan fic.

23. Bib Fortuna Twi'lek

Jul 9, 1999
    Ki had several wives I believe, not just one.

24. ST-TPM-ASF-TNE

ST-TPM-ASF-TNE Moderator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 27, 2001
    How Does He Know?

Luke is the son of the chosen one. You don't need a test to figure out Luke's gonna be powerful ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.