main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

How does it rain?

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by JMaster Luke, Jun 6, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JMaster Luke

JMaster Luke Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 7, 2000
    Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't it impossible to rain on Coroscant (sp?) Don't you need a big body of water in order to rain?

How is it a whole planet, that is one big city able to produce rain?

2. poe077

poe077 Jedi Master star 1

Nov 28, 2000
    rivers; lakes; streams... we never see a 360 degree panarama of the planet.
    we do see fountains on the planet so there is a source.

3. Mustafar_66

Mustafar_66 Force Ghost star 6

May 20, 2005
    I believe that the EU explains it as having large weather generators. There's also a gigantic sea as well. I'm afraid EU answers are the best you're going to get.

4. DarthJohnkenobi

DarthJohnkenobi Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 13, 2004
    How does it rain? It usually has to do with a low pressure front colliding with a high pressure front,,,:D

You can have enough moisture and evaporation w/out large bodies of water. A few billion people sweating would do it.

5. whiteeagle

whiteeagle Jedi Master star 6

Dec 24, 2004
    water comes from the sky, that is how it rains.

6. Billy_Dee_Binks

Billy_Dee_Binks Force Ghost star 4

Mar 29, 2002
    SW is a movie. Movies don't have to be real. There is no rule movies have to keep with Earth's laws of physique. Sadly, most people nowadays seem to forget what movies were intended to be from the beginning.

Why not have it rain on a huge city planet?
    Why not have sound in space? It's much more fun the way it turned out.

7. Lixsta

Lixsta Jedi Youngling star 2

May 21, 2005
    Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't it impossible to rain on Coroscant (sp?) Don't you need a big body of water in order to rain?

You know I was thinking about that question too. Coruscant is a city planet, all concrete or whatever they use to build. They would need plants, lakes, fields and moisture to get it to rain. It didnt make sense to me either

8. DarkSider99

DarkSider99 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 6, 2005
    people the rain comes from the sky sop it can rain

9. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    I would agree that I'm not sure it could rain on Coruscant.

But then, I'm not sure it would need to. Did it rain in the movie? Because I don't remember anything like that happening. And certainly, if the world is entirely covered with man-made stuff, there should be plumbing throughout to take care of everything. So they wouldn't really need rain anyway.

10. ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOP_

ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOP_ Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 30, 2005
    most of the buildings and streets are miles in the air, so it could be informal rain, moisture in the upper atmosphere, condenses, then evaporates again before it has a chance to reach the ground-ground, however far down that might be

besides, you always see that thick cloud cover from orbit

11. Darth_Somebody

Darth_Somebody Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 31, 2004
    long ago, when coruscant wasn't a city planet, it had oceans that had water that evaporated and then came down again. when the land was covered up and oceans were built over the water, the water still evaporated (through the ground? you never know), rained down again, stayed on the ground for a while (puddles and the occasional flood, for example), evaporated, and rained again, over and over for millenia. considering there had to be water in the first place (in the GFFA it's assumed humans originated on coruscant, so there had to be surface water at some point), it's only logical to assume it kept raining.

12. DS615

DS615 Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 30, 2003
    Evaporated water, just like any other planet.

A rather disgusting thought, though, is that much of it would be from resperation. Like the ceiling of a tent when you're camping in the cold, where your breath condenses on the fabric.

13. MikeSolo

MikeSolo Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 6, 2002
    How does it rain ? Sidious made it rain I dunno just taking a wild guess.

14. Matt-trooper

Matt-trooper Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 19, 2005
    I'm sure water vapour was released in the atmospere, either by design or just because water is released into the atmosphere via respiration, transpiration etc.

15. LeeKenobi

LeeKenobi Jedi Knight star 6

Aug 13, 2002
    Because sets are built with sprinklers in the ceilings?

16. GarthSidious

GarthSidious Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 4, 2005
    its is just a movie and does not need to be accurate, however, according to Michio Kaku, a world-renowned physicist, a civilization such as those seen in star wars would need to generate so much energy that they would need to have the ability to control the weather.

17. JDN21

JDN21 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 17, 2004

Just because it is 'one big city' doesnt mean it doesnt have natural features.

Look at Central Park in New York or Hyde Park in London - both massive urban monsters of cities but they have their natural clearings. Coruscant will be no different. It will have lakes and stuff like that.

Plus the man-made weather generators of course.

18. vacantlook

vacantlook Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 28, 2004
    Did it rain in the movie? Because I don't remember anything like that happening.

At the end of RotS it does.

19. Panaka_kicked_Padme

Panaka_kicked_Padme Jedi Youngling star 1

May 31, 2005
    well i mean did u ever see it raining.

20. SheLeftMeForAWookiee

SheLeftMeForAWookiee Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 4, 2005
    I'm sure water collects at the bases of the buildings and runs off somewhere, where it ultimately settles and evaporates. That's all you need to get a rainstorm started. Cities generate heat, so whichever part of coruscant that is currently generating the most heat would have the strongest low pressure cell and wherever the water is coming from would be the high pressure cell. They collide and BOOM! Moody rainstorm setting for Vader's return to the capital planet.

21. sword_of_raditz

sword_of_raditz Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 2, 2005
    "I believe that the EU explains it as having large weather generators. There's also a gigantic sea as well."

Theres your answer. STOP THIS STUPID TOPIC!

22. JMaster Luke

JMaster Luke Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 7, 2000
    I wouldn't say this is a stupid topic. But thank you everyone for you thoughts on this topic. Makes more sense now on how it could rain on a city planet.

23. jangoisadrunk

jangoisadrunk Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 7, 2005
    its is just a movie and does not need to be accurate, however, according to Michio Kaku, a world-renowned physicist, a civilization such as those seen in star wars would need to generate so much energy that they would need to have the ability to control the weather.

Dude, Michio Kaku rocks. I would love to spend about 100 hours talking space with that guy. He is the Theory of Awesome-ativity.

Any number of explanations can serve as to why it might rain on Courascant. I more interesting question is: Can it ever STOP raining on Kamino? I'm going to go with no. I don't think it can EVER rain on Tatooine either for a reason opposite of that for Kamino. Hell, the CLOUDS on Tatooine mystify me.

Someone needs to get Dr. Kaku on the horn to answer these important questions.

24. MOC Vober Dand

MOC Vober Dand Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 6, 2004
    Star Wars physics, y'all. Or is that Star Wars chemistry? Not much of a scientist me. That rain scene was cool looking though!

25. MadMardigan

MadMardigan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 8, 2001
    There's also a gigantic sea as well. I'm afraid EU answers are the best you're going to get.

Um. Wrong. Ric Olie said the planet is one big city. Don't think there's much room for a giant sea there. Unless Ric Olie was wrong. Ric Olie is never wrong :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.