main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

How does Luke get so good so fast?

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by Eron_Darkestar, Jun 5, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Eron_Darkestar

Eron_Darkestar Jedi Youngling

Jun 2, 2005
    He isnt under Obi-Wan's tutelage very long and doesnt spend too much time on Dagobah either. He comes back in Episode VI and he's pretty much a fully trained Jedi. How did he manage it? In a handful of years he's managed to achieve something the prequel Trilogy depicts a decade to do. Its not possible that in the short time he spends with Yoda that he learnt all the abilities that a fully trained Jedi Knight should have. So how is it that he gets to bear that title? When and where does he hone his skills? Anyone got any suggestions about how Luke got to be so great..?

2. atomik

atomik Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 28, 2001
    He comes back in Episode VI and he's pretty much a fully trained Jedi.

Not really. A PT anakin would kick his ass in 2 seconds flat.

Its not possible that in the short time he spends with Yoda that he learnt all the abilities that a fully trained Jedi Knight should have.

No it's not. He only needed to know enough to beat Vader. Vader was half machine, he wasnt fighting at 100% either.

So how is it that he gets to bear that title?

He's the last of the Jedi, they need him. In a desperate time like this do you think that Yoda would actually want him to go through all the bureaucracy of becoming a Jedi?

When and where does he hone his skills?

In the EU novels.

Anyone got any suggestions about how Luke got to be so great..?

He's the son of the chosen one, and very powerfull in the force.

3. Darien_SabreHawkke

Darien_SabreHawkke Jedi Youngling star 3

May 29, 2005
    that about covers it.

4. Mr__Mauul

Mr__Mauul Jedi Youngling star 1

May 20, 2005
    I'll tell you why, because by ROTJ Luke is 25-30 years old? By becoming a Jedi at this age he's a naturally mature adult who's hellbent and focused on learning everything Jedi. He's much more mature pupil than Anakin was. Its like a 40 year old going back to college vs an 18 year old teen going to college. The 40 year old probably would do better in school and be mature about everything, ie..not go party, ogle chicks etc...He would be Focused because he wants to accomplish his goal.

5. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    This topic has come up many times now, and I always use the same analogy.

Think Karate Kid. Daniel had no real fighting skills. In one month he was trained by a master martial artist and was able to win a tournament against experienced fighters.

Luke was not trained by a master, he was trained by The Master. Also, Luke was growing powerful quickly, just like Anakin was.

6. jedimaster11

jedimaster11 Jedi Master star 2

Nov 23, 2002
    Skywalker genetics. Besides, when he goes back to Tatooine, he goes to Obi-Wan's. Finds things to build his lightsaber, probably worked on Yoda's teachings, "training" for the big showdown with Dad.

7. jedimaster11

jedimaster11 Jedi Master star 2

Nov 23, 2002
    I tried to answer without EU mention since I get blasted on the ROTS forums...

8. RADAR_Brian

RADAR_Brian Jedi Youngling

Jun 5, 2005
    The reality answer is that Lucas didn't envision actually making the PT while doing the OT. While the PT actually spans a great deal of time, the OT does not. I think simply because of timing and plot necessity GL made Luke be ready for Vader by the third movie.

Of course, everyone tries to fill all these questions with ways to make them work inside the stories themselves....

I'd work it out by saying that maybe Luke is just that much more powerful than everyone before him. If the Emperor already was able to forsee that Luke was going to be a threat to BOTH Vader and himself, then that is some pretty potent force power for Luke. So, considering that, maybe Luke was just so strong in the Force that the he didn't need that much training.

well.. my thoughts anyway... that and 5 cents will buy you a piece of gum.

9. neo-dragon

neo-dragon Jedi Master star 3

Apr 15, 2004
    The reality answer is that Lucas didn't envision actually making the PT while doing the OT. While the PT actually spans a great deal of time, the OT does not. I think simply because of timing and plot necessity GL made Luke be ready for Vader by the third movie.

I don't think that it was supposed to be normal for jedi to receive all his training in a few weeks even if the PT was never made. Yoda only had time to teach Luke the basics. Think of it as getting a G.E.D. rather than actually going through 4 years of high school. In theory, someone with a G.E.D. diploma knows all that they need to know to be considered a high school graduate, even though they didn't get the full high school "training". Also, just look at Anakin. He started his training later in life than any other jedi of that era, and he still reached jedi knighthood at a younger age than Obi-wan.

Whether you buy into the EU or not, it's logical to assume that Luke continues to practice his skills and increase his knowledge of the force for years to come until he reaches the level if the PT era jedi.

10. RADAR_Brian

Jun 5, 2005
    That's sort of what I was implying.. I just meant Luke perhaps was so strong with the Force that he was able to gain the knowledge he needed without an actual instructor...

11. spacename_the_name

spacename_the_name Jedi Master star 3

Feb 5, 2005
    Im not sure about good... i mean luke isnt that bad. In ESB he could handle a lightsaber, but with very little skill and limited force powers. And in ROTJ he is still a little sloppy with a little more knowledge of the force and self proclaimed jedi. But there are no other jedi in comparison so it doesnt matter. plus im sure lightsaber twirling was not a offered class on degobah...

12. crushthedemoniac

crushthedemoniac Jedi Youngling star 1

May 24, 2005
    I think the more important question is how he gets so big eating food of that kind!

13. gunsntomahawks

gunsntomahawks Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 5, 2004
    He practises with Orlando Bloom...

THREE HOURS A DAY!!!

14. Maranelo_Jori

Maranelo_Jori Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 22, 2004
    I think that PT jedi spend much time in meditations or on some diplomatic missions.Luke spended much time with intensive training on Dagobah.His training was IMO focused on his physical skills and condition.

15. Korvyn

Korvyn Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 3, 2005
    there was book wrote called the Empire strikes back. in it it talks about the things Yoda had him doing. we see breif moments where as Yoda had Him training from Morning until Night. Luke Recieved his training in mass quantity were PT jedi were able to take a more leasurly path since they really had no Enemies or wars until ole Palpy came along.

16. Atticus

Atticus Jedi Padawan star 4

May 31, 2002
    Here is what I think...

-Yoda only taught him the basics and what he needs to know inorder to defeat Vader.

-Luke has a strong understanding of the force and how to use it.

17. Geezasfm

Geezasfm Jedi Youngling star 1

May 25, 2005
    In my opinion:
    Luke is trained by almost every major character he meets throughout the first two films.
    Owen and his wife teach him about being humble, being normal human beings, basic human values, etc.
    Obi-Wan introduces him to the force, shows him it's true powers (during and after the vader duel)
    Han teaches him "simple tricks and nonsense" that have allowed him to survive throughout the years.
    Vader teaches him about the power of the darkside.
    And Yoda teaches him to put it all in perspective.

And when he's all done, he's a Jedi Knight.

(btw he can call himself a Jedi even if he weren't because, well, there's no Jedi around to call him a liar)

18. RADAR_Brian

Jun 5, 2005
    I don't think it's ever fair to compare the OT and PT duels... it's not intentional that Luke doesn't do all the super flips and force powers. The fx capabilities just weren't there. If they were remade, I think they would make Luke be as capable as any jedi seen in the PT.

Having to work it out storywise, though, I'd argue that Luke didn't have to do as much of the super jedi feats because his opponents were never of high enough caliber. In Jedi he did quite a bit on the sail barge. He pretty much took down Jabba's crew single handedly.

19. Atticus

Atticus Jedi Padawan star 4

May 31, 2002
    I agree RADAR, there is no need for Luke to do all of the fancy moves when his oponents are just space thugs and a deformed Sith Lord. Plus the moment he starts doing those is the momoent he becomes Arrogant and overconfident.

Just my opinion...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.