main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

How does Obi-1 find out what Vader looks like?

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by Mr__Mauul, Jun 3, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mr__Mauul

Mr__Mauul Jedi Youngling star 1

May 20, 2005
    Is the ANH duel the first he sees of him or did OB1-1 and Yoda send him a Polaroid? How did Yoda find out?

2. Lord_Coras

Lord_Coras Jedi Knight star 5

Oct 26, 2001
    I'm sure he's on every news channel.
    He's second in command in the Galactic Empire and probably very high profiled.

3. Mr__Mauul

May 20, 2005
    Vader is not second in command. The regional governers have more power than him.

4. walrus

walrus Jedi Youngling star 2

May 24, 2005
    Probably because he's one of the most famous person in the galaxy

5. DARTHFINGERZ

DARTHFINGERZ Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 14, 2004
    EU probably covered that backstory........if not they will now.

6. poe077

poe077 Jedi Master star 1

Nov 28, 2000
    although ben's reaction to finding anakin survived was probbly holy ****!
    i'm sure obi-wan wandered into mos eisley and caught the true hollywood story of vader.

7. FallenKnight88

FallenKnight88 Jedi Youngling star 3

May 26, 2005
    Who says he does? For all we know, Obi-wan had no clue what he looked like. However while on the Death Star, Obi-wan likely felt Anakin's presence and when he sees this man in a black suit holding a red lightsaber Obi-wan was quickly able to put 2 and 2 together and figure that THIS must be Darth Vader.

8. Beara

Beara Jedi Youngling

Jun 3, 2005
    Spamming the boards is not allowed.

Leona

9. DARTHMORDOR

DARTHMORDOR Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 17, 2003
    i am sure that over the course of 20 years obi learned

a. vader lived
    b. what he looked like

10. SixEagle

SixEagle Jedi Master star 1

May 30, 2002
    "Who says he does? For all we know, Obi-wan had no clue what he looked like. However while on the Death Star, Obi-wan likely felt Anakin's presence and when he sees this man in a black suit holding a red lightsaber Obi-wan was quickly able to put 2 and 2 together and figure that THIS must be Darth Vader. "

Bingo.

If Vader could sense Obi-Wan, and pinpoint out exactly who it was without ever seeing him, I'm sure Obi-Wan could do the same.

11. Genrader

Genrader Jedi Master star 3

Sep 12, 2003
    All you'd have to do is go to the Mos Eisley or Anchorhead bar, watch the HoloNews a few times a week, and at some point you'd have see Lord Vader.

12. That_Random_Jedi

That_Random_Jedi Jedi Master star 3

May 14, 2005
    For crud's sake, it'd be like an American citizen asking what Dick Cheney looks like! Now, I'm not saying Bush is evil, but if America were the Empire, he'd be the Emperor.

13. That_Wascally_Droid

That_Wascally_Droid Jedi Knight star 6

Jul 29, 2001
    That, or as was said, he could sense him. He obviously sensed him when he told the guys that they couldn't help.

14. sepharih

sepharih Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 16, 2005
    "Who says he does? For all we know, Obi-wan had no clue what he looked like. However while on the Death Star, Obi-wan likely felt Anakin's presence and when he sees this man in a black suit holding a red lightsaber Obi-wan was quickly able to put 2 and 2 together and figure that THIS must be Darth Vader. "

This is my opinion, and i'll tell you why. Watch ANH and skip to the scene where Vader and Obi-wan have their confrontation. Look at the expression on Obi-wan's face! If he could sense Vader then why is he surprised? It's because this is the first time he has seen what actually happend to Anakin. But Obi-wan quickly recovers and puts his poker face back on like any good swordsman.

15. Mr__Mauul

May 20, 2005
    Ben should've had a line like in Predator, "your one UGLY *********"

16. CDR_Praji

CDR_Praji Jedi Youngling star 2

May 12, 2005
    " Look at the expression on Obi-wan's face! If he could sense Vader then why is he surprised? It's because this is the first time he has seen what actually happend to Anakin. "

Alec Guiness's reaction seems to support this theory. I doubt Obi Wan had a HoloNet reciever in his hovel and I'm pretty sure he limited his use of the Force as best he could to stay discreet.

Even though he was in communication with Yoda and possibly Qui-Gon surreptitiously, I highly doubt Kenobi would reach out with the Force to sense Anakin as Vader. Doing so, would have been too risky.

He probably did hear by old fashioned means ( word of mouth ) that there was a dark warlord doing the dirty work of the Empire, but was unaware of the look of this dark lord.

17. Errant_Venture

Errant_Venture Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 21, 2002
    EU doesn't have to cover the backstory on that. You saw part of it in the ROTS movie when he becomes Vader and its only a shortwhile after that that he probably is on the holonet as the Emperor's right hand man. He probably knew within the week after Mustafar.

18. neo-dragon

neo-dragon Jedi Master star 3

Apr 15, 2004
    Vader is not second in command. The regional governers have more power than him.

Not really. Vader only answered to Palpatine, and any of the regional governors would obey Vader's orders. Why? Because Vader would kill them if they didn't, and Palpatine wouldn't care. Which do you think is harder to replace, and therefore more important to Palpatine, a regional governor, or one of the most powerful sith lords who ever lived? The most important thing to Palpatine was that the Sith ruled the galaxy. If he had died at any time and Vader didn't, do you think that Palpatine arranged for some politician to take over his empire, or his apprentice and heir to the Sith legacy?

Regional governors having more power? Even if they believe that themselves, it's not true and they're naive for thinking it.

So, since Vader was second in command, chances are he would have been a well known figure. After all, When people like Luke and Han saw him, they never asked, "who's that guy"? They all seemed to know who he was

19. ClonedEmperor

ClonedEmperor Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 12, 2005
    I believe in the novel, Obi Wan has no idea what vader looks like, as when he is sneaking back to the falcon, he says something to the extent of "it wa the maturity of the mind he didnt recognize) and when he sees vader, realizes who it is

20. PadmesDaughter

PadmesDaughter Jedi Youngling

May 30, 2005
    Obi-Wan saw his picture in the Tatooine Times, which he subscribes to for the crossword puzzle.

21. Darthdias

Darthdias Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 12, 2004
    Vader is more like the Karl Rove of the Empire than the Dick Cheney. He is the one who does all the dirty work.

Back on topic, I like to think that Obi-Wan knew that Vader lived but not what he looks like. That's why he seems a bit surprised at the site of him.

22. darthpn0y

darthpn0y Jedi Youngling

May 25, 2005
    Well, if Vader could sense Obi-Wan, (something along the lines of "I sense something I haven't felt since...") I'm sure it could've worked the other way also. Then they just followed their feelings and end up in the hallway.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.