main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

How Does Obi-Wan Escape

Discussion in 'Archive: Revenge of the Sith (Non-Spoilers)' started by KSA, Aug 29, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KSA

KSA Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 13, 2003
    Something just occured to me. If Ki-Adi-Mundi and other great Jedi die from the Jedi Purge thing, How does Obi-Wan escape, and more than that, without being tracked?

I ask the last one because Darth Maul tracked Qui-Gon (and the rest) down and Anakin's more powerful than any other Sith Apprentice.

Maybe It's because Anakin DID track him down, to the Lava (or whatever) planet, where then Obi-Wan escapes Darth Vader (duel).

You might say he still should track him down, but Obi-Wan didn't fraternize on Tatooine and he changed his name. (Just thinking out loud)

To quote Yoda:

An answer? A thought? Anyone?

2. The_Anakin_Wannabe

The_Anakin_Wannabe Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 21, 2003
    Maul tracked Padme's ship after the distress call was either sent to it from Naboo, or when/if a reply was sent.

Obi-Wan is a very talented Jedi. I think he'll be away from the action when the first Jedi are killed, and after hearing of what is happening, he decides to take Luke and bolt.

3. KSA

KSA Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 13, 2003
    Interesting, from the way Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan were treating it, it seemed that they had to reply to the message to be traced.

4. Darth_Goofy

Darth_Goofy Jedi Master star 4

May 8, 2001
    Though Maul does trace them through the message, it's never said if there was a reply or not, or who sent it if there was. (A teacher of mine and I got into a deep conversation about this - it really bugs me now. 8-}) So maybe it is possible to trace someone without a reply.

However, I don't think Anakin will do that. I think he'd have more powerful ways of finding out where Obi-Wan is.

5. Ghost_Jedi

Ghost_Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 27, 2003
    I know in the eu, I forget which book as it was a long long, time ago, Luke was able to control his breathing, and the enemey believed he was dead. Maybe Obi convinces Anavader, Palps that he has died.
    Remember in ANH, Tarkin was convinced that Obi surely was dead.

6. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    I don't think Anakin will be convinced that he's dead. But I'm pretty sure the last time he sees Obi-Wan, the conflict won't leave him too eager or ready to just go out and chase after him. Maybe they assume he's killed in the massive purges, but it does seem unlikely to me that they would overlook him since he's not just another Jedi, he's Anakin's former master.

I really can't think of how Obi-Wan (and Yoda, for that matter) will manage to be the only two Jedi to survive. I guess we'll have to wait and see.

-sj loves kevin spacey

7. BOBA_FOOT

BOBA_FOOT Jedi Youngling

Oct 6, 2003
    Posting links to the spoiler forum is not allowed. Then again, you are banned, so what does it matter to you anymore?

8. Cow_Girl

Cow_Girl Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 15, 2001
    I think the reason that Darth Maul was able to track Qui-gon and Obi-wan so seemingly easily in TPM, becuase it was not just two jedi he was following, it was the entire ship including The queen and all her servants that went with her, it would be really hard to make that many people...just disappear.

9. Garth Maul

Garth Maul Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 18, 2002
    Who knows, maybe he traced their "ion trail" or something. [face_laugh] This is one of those areas where it's simply better to suspend your disbelief and enjoy the movie, b/c it doesn't really matter how Maul found them.

I think Obi-Wan escapes because he going to be shown as one of the greatest Jedi ever.

He is the only living Jedi to have killed a Sith, and I'm guessing he'll be the only Jedi to survive an encounter with Darth Vader.

Keep in mind how easily Coleman Trebor, who is supposedly on the Jedi Council, died on Geonosis.

10. Mech-E_Jedi

Mech-E_Jedi Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 11, 2002
    Consider this . . .

In general, during TPM, the galaxy was at peace. Thus, to general knowledge, to establish a connection trace, one had to ping the Queen's ship on Tatooine and the Queen's ship had to ping back.

But, remember that the Sith had advanced covert technology. It is entirely possible that the Sith had figured out how to triangulate a position without a return ping.

Now, on to Obi-wan. By the time EPIII rolls around, the galaxy has been in war for years. Looking at our own world history, there are wonderful and dangerous technological advancements due to war. Consider that the jet engine was a direct product of World War II.

Similarly, I would propose that by the time Obi-wan runs to hide with Luke, the same method Darth Maul used to track the Queen's ship will be obsolete. Connection traces will be interrupted by scrambling technology, for example; particularly if Obi-wan escapes in a military fighter.

Just a thought or two . . .

11. Master_Starwalker

Master_Starwalker Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 20, 2003
    I think Garth_Maul is definatly right that Obi-Wan will go down as one of the greatest Jedi ever.

-Jedi Master Zax Starwalker

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.