main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT How Does One leave the Jedi Order?

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by MrCody, Jul 6, 2014.

1. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    We're all talking about fictional characters.

Is this yet another "I have Lucas quotes" pissing contest, or does anyone want to have a discussion in which several different opinions and ideas are shared?

2. Bazinga'd

Bazinga'd Saga / WNU Manager - Knights of LAJ star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 1, 2012
    Mod Note: Stay on topic or this thread will be locked.

3. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
  4. Jedi Kao Cen Darach

Jedi Kao Cen Darach Jedi Padawan star 1

Nov 13, 2014
    Just like Ahsoka Tano. Do something wrong or make it look like that, then get expelled. It's like school!

Jedi_SateleShan likes this.
  5. The_Phantom_Calamari

The_Phantom_Calamari Force Ghost star 5

Nov 10, 2011
    Saying the Jedi made mistakes that contributed to their downfall is not quite the same thing as "blaming" them for being genocided. I like to think I'm one of the more pro-Jedi people around these parts, but even I recognize that.

Iron_lord likes this.
  6. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    I don't see much difference, especially when the focus of so many discussions becomes "how the Jedi contributed to their downfall."

When we talk about Obi-Wan's death in the OT, is the focus of the discussion, "Damn, that old dude should have known better than to pick a fight with Vader. He contributed to his own demise"?

More on topic...why have Jedi other than Ahsoka been expelled from the Order? Her situation is unique in that she needed to stand trial for the Republic and could not do so as a practicing Jedi. Then there was Anakin being threatened with expulsion if he went after Padme. Do we have any other examples?

7. skygawker

skygawker Jedi Knight star 3

May 25, 2014
    I think that the Jedi were definitely set in their ways and could have done with changing a little to adapt with the galaxy...but those ways had worked for them long enough that their actions made sense, and even if they had done stuff differently, Palpatine would have found a way to destroy them. So, yeah, definitely not their fault that they were all murdered. I mean, not that it's ever really someone's fault that someone else kills them, but you know what I mean.

I think it would be pretty rare for a Jedi to be expelled outright from the Order. More likely would be that the Jedi being scrutinized - whether due to personal issues with the Code (e.g. if Anakin's relationship with Padme had ever been found out) or because they did something generally disobedient/flagrantly unJedilike - would be given the ultimatum of either choosing to leave or being forced to toe the line. I would guess more Jedi resigned the Order than were expelled, and even that didn't happen very often since for all but Anakin it was a way of life they'd been raised with for basically as long as they could remember.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  8. Dandelo

Dandelo SW and Film Music Interview Host star 10 VIP - Game Host

Aug 25, 2014
    they simply give in their resignation form :p

9. skygawker

skygawker Jedi Knight star 3

May 25, 2014
    Yeah, I doubt the actual, literal "how" is very interesting. They tell the Council that they're leaving, and they go.

10. Dandelo

Dandelo SW and Film Music Interview Host star 10 VIP - Game Host

Aug 25, 2014
    interesting to me :p

I wonder if there is a notice period :p

11. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
  12. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    In this particular case, it is, since the reason for their downfall was because they were genocided.

13. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    Perceptions, not fact. I think Jedi simply have to decide if they believe what the Order teaches. If the teachers are found in error a pupil merely has to decide to depart.

14. The_Phantom_Calamari

The_Phantom_Calamari Force Ghost star 5

Nov 10, 2011

If I'm on a catwalk at the factory where I work, and I slip and fall because I wasn't paying close enough attention, then I think it's fair to say that I made a mistake. Even if the blame rests on the owner of the factory for not following OSHA guidelines, there were still actions I could have taken that would have prevented what happened to me. That's all that's being said--a simple statement of fact. No one's saying it's the Jedi's fault for getting killed. That's all on Palpatine. But I'm sure, if you asked Yoda if he wished he'd made different choices, he'd say yes.

15. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    And what would those be?

16. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    I'd be curious if there's some type of arbitration for jedi who leave the order or are kicked out?

Has the EU ever discussed this at all?

17. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    Nope. The old EU, as far as I know, never really talked about how it went when the Lost Twenty left. The most it was implied was that Dooku told the Council of his intentions and after some discussion, accepted his resignation. I don't think the Jedi hold court and say, "No you can't leave."

18. ShaneP

Mar 26, 2001

But what about kicking someone out?

19. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
  20. ShaneP

Mar 26, 2001
    Thanks.

21. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    Just slip out the back, Jak.

22. The Supreme Chancellor

The Supreme Chancellor Jedi Master star 4

Sep 4, 2012
    With peace and humility.

23. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    They throw a coolio pizza party.

24. The Supreme Chancellor

The Supreme Chancellor Jedi Master star 4

Sep 4, 2012
    Obviously not. A Jedi is a position like any other, that one has to hold through choice. If you chose to leave a job as a governor, police officer or president, your contemporaries would have to accept your decision. I think the main point/idea writers try to get across with the "Lost Twenty" is that virtually everyone who has ever decided, trained and been accepted into the Order had found meaning and purpose and out of those thousands only twenty (so like 0.1%) had ever chosen to leave.

25. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Yup - the Masters at least:

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Lost_Twenty