main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

How does one motivate their cast cheaply and effectively?

Discussion in 'Fan Films, Fan Audio & SciFi 3D' started by Leigh_Jesani, Jul 26, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pixelito

Pixelito Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 16, 2002
    choking them with the force usually works... even if you have to kill one of your actors, its worth it, because the others will double their efforts :D

2. Carl_el_cee

Carl_el_cee Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 9, 2002
    Come on, guys! Its good for a few humorous comments but what the guys dealing with here is a serious every-day life situation. I don't think its humorous to have a laugh on how to encourage teamwork. And yes, I do have a sense of humour, but to a certain extent. [face_plain]

Carl

3. ExFilms

ExFilms Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 9, 2001

Dezion -

Sure they'll be nice in front of you, they're professionals. But, if they are not fed well they won't like you. On any set I've worked on, the topic always comes up. The actors will be standing around in between takes reminiscing about the lack of craft services on so-and-so's set. It really seems to me like thats all they care about. Its not something they'll gripe about in the moment, but it's what their thinking about (unless you're paying them well...hehe).

Carl -

"When motivating, there should never be any material medium"

Sadly enough we are all human, and like it or not, "material mediums" stand as one of the all time greatest motivators. It's why 90% of the world gets up and goes to work everyday. I couldn't see getting rewarded for a 40 hour work week with just some kind words.

Don't get me wrong, I know that for some people non-material motivation is enough. But in general the world revolves around materialism.

:)

4. Carl_el_cee

Carl_el_cee Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 9, 2002
    Exfilms, sure, of course in a legal workspace. Money is the incentive of labour. But I just mean in this case, being a fanfilm and all. Even if it was an A class film though, "apart from their pay, which is considerable", ppl need moral enlightenment. A workers first incentive is money to pay for food, a home and clothing, then its prestige and personal realization. I don't think most of the great Hollywood films are so good just because a bunch of people sat down enthusiastically saying "I'm gonna get paid a **itload of money!"

Well... maybe so... but it doesnt change the fact that a little emotional backup doesnt help ;)

Carl

5. monkey_abbot

monkey_abbot Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 14, 2002
    you could always have a "directors" lightsaber...

6. DorkmanScott

DorkmanScott Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    Sure they'll be nice in front of you, they're professionals.

Professional ACTORS, no less. :p

Besides, when Dez gets near food ain't nobody else with an appetite.

Ain't that right Dez? :D

M. Scott

7. Leigh_Jesani

Leigh_Jesani Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 27, 2002
    Today we were doing some editing and putting together the film. The cast was excited to see themselves on film, and will be even more so once the choerography is completly filming. And then once it's rotoscoped, they'll want to do it again. I think I'll be turning sequel rights over to one of them. lol.. But anyway, they're motivated. One of them started drinking Mountain Dew...must help.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.