main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT How does Padme love Anakin? (Did she have too much whine?)

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Garrett Atkins, Mar 5, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Garrett Atkins

Garrett Atkins Jedi Knight star 4

Feb 11, 2013
    How does Padme love such a whiny brat? In fact, let's do the +- game:
    + Good Looks, even though I'm a guy I'll give him that
    + Finds loophole about love in the Jedi Order
    + Carries her bags on Naboo
    + Listens to her talk about herself and the Queen
    - Awkward Compliment at the beginning of the movie
    - Disrespectful towards Obi-Wan
    - Talks about how he is frustrated with Obi-Wan and the Council
    - Interupts Padme when she is speaking
    - Loses temper
    - Forces an apology
    - Begs for sex while crying
    - Murders men, women, and children
    - Brings Shmi's corpse home
    - Goes on a Phsycotic Meglomaniacal Rant
    - Creepy Comments
    --------------------------- Crying
    - Creepy Skeleton Hand
    In all, how does she like him. IMO, he is a brat. What are your thoughts?

2. Zapdos

Zapdos Force Ghost star 5

Jan 7, 2013
    You can't explain love....

Plus, the creepy skeleton hand is just really cool. I have to say. I'd date a man with a creepy skeleton hand

Edit: One more thing. What's wrong with bringing Shmi's corpse back? I'd bring back the corpse of my loved ones if they died in a bad place? It's about having a proper funeral.

3. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
  4. rumsmuggler

rumsmuggler Chosen One star 7

Aug 31, 2000
    Women and men fall in love with unbalanced people all the time, and people always wonder why. Hahaha..You can't really help who you fall in love with, to a certain extent.

5. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    I would say one of the most important things for her is that Anakin loves her whether she is a mere handmaiden or important senator. He's probably one of the only people in her life that doesn't care about her station just her as a person. Another reason I see is that Padme seems to be a person who naturally wants to help people in need. Anakin is in great distress in AOTC and Padme genuinely seems to want to help him. I think their relationship develops from that simple premise.

Different people fall in love with other people for a variety of reasons. There is no set pattern to love and that's why it is ridiculous to say someone can't fall in love with Anakin because of his personality. Different people see his personality differently. For instance, I don't see him whiny at all just very frustrated and scared about many things going on in his life. To me he's not whining to a complete stranger as some have said but reaching out to someone who once showed him that she cared for him. You may not like the love story (and that's your right) but it's nonsense to assume that Padme can't fall in love with Anakin.

6. SithStarSlayer

SithStarSlayer Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2003
    1.) Without Anakin's help, Padme would have been wearing Leia's slave bikini about thirty years too soon.
    2.) Without Anakin's help, Padme AND Jar Jar would be Naboo-less.
    3.) Without Anakin's help, Zam's slugs would have killed her.

Padme's love was forged in the fires of gratitude.

She owed him her life... so why not just give him her heart?
    (Ironic, since they were about to be executed. But really, she only confessed before death)

7. Jedi_Ford_Prefect

Jedi_Ford_Prefect Jedi Master star 4

Jun 9, 2003
    What does being a guy have to do with it?

It's not so much a loophole as it is being willing to break a cardinal rule. Bad, bad, bad, bad boys...

He also calls her "M'Lady" all the time. Maybe she's got some "Venus in Furs" kinks lingering in her.

Or maybe she's just a self-centered egotist.

Maybe she likes seeing how flustered he is.

Maybe she doesn't really give a damn about Obi-Wan. This also could count as a rule-breaker plus-- being willing to step on other people's toes, especially where it concerns her safety.

Sounded more like it was a bonding moment for them. They both seemed to have issues with "mentor figures" (I wonder sometimes who this mentor was that she was frustrated with-- Palpatine, maybe?).

You mean when she publicly belittled him as "just a Padawan" and refused to listen to his comments about her security detail? She kinda deserves it, frankly.

Better that than not showing any sign of emotion at all. That could be part of the attraction there, actually-- he may be awkward at times, but he's a passionate, emotional Jedi, the only one of his kind.

Meaning what? He gives a strained apology himself? That he forces someone else to apologize?

...what?

True, but that's more a question of her morals. I'm going to assume that the knowledge of what was done to Shmi would help mitigate her feelings, as well as how she saw he was frustrated over the Jedi keeping him from helping her.

Girls don't like making sure people get proper burials?

After his mom was brutally kidnapped, raped and murdered. Maybe there's something of a Florence Nightingale effect here. Padme feels sympathy for how broken he is, and wants to fix him.

Like?

God forbid a guy shows sensitivity.

By that logic anyone who's lost a limb and had it replaced with a prosthesis would instantly lose their significant other.

8. PMT99

PMT99 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 23, 2000
    How does Padme love Anakin? Here's how:

-He helped her afford a new hyperdrive engine for her ship so she could go to Coruscant.
    -He saved her home planet Naboo from the Trade Federation.
    -He saved her from the poisonous worms.
    -He protected her from further assassination attempts.
    -He helped her survive the battle of Geonosis.

Anakin's heroics won Padme's heart and the fact that she has so much in common with him makes her fall in love with him.

9. StarWarsVerses

StarWarsVerses Jedi Knight star 1

Feb 14, 2013
    Usually works for me.

What bizarro cut of AOTC did you watch, and where can I get a bootleg copy?

10. Garrett Atkins

Garrett Atkins Jedi Knight star 4

Feb 11, 2013
    Creepy Comments:
    "I will learn to stop people from dying"
    "I will be the most powerful Jedi ever"
    My favorite:
    "I killed them. I killed them all. Their dead. Every single one of them. And not just the men. But the women. And the children too. And their animals. And I slaughtered them like animals! I HATE THEM!"
    Padme had it coming on Mustafar.

11. Jedi_Ford_Prefect

Jun 9, 2003
    Again, dude's emotional. His mom's dead. She was abducted and brutalized in horrible ways, and if Padme had any inkling of that she'd probably be deeply affected by it as a woman. I wouldn't know personally, but I'm willing to bet that there's plenty of women out there who would be willing to rationalize it if they had an army boyfriend who participated in a My-Lai style massacre.

12. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    This.

This argument has come up a number of times in the past 11 years, and it always boils down to this:

People who do not like Anakin's character, do not understand why Padme fell in love with him.

Which is fine. Anakin is not someone that you personally would fall in love with. But why does everyone in the movie, including Padme, need to share your personal opinion of Anakin?

At best, this argument comes to a dislike of Anakin's character. Which, again, is fine.

But at worst, it comes down to blatantly sexist and stereotypical arguments along the lines of "no woman would do X."

All I'm going to say is that I really hope that's not where this argument is headed.

But the idea that Padme couldn't possibly love Anakin because he cried over his mother's death is...I don't even have words for that one.

I'd find it far creepier if Anakin's mother died in his arms after slow torture and Anakin didn't cry about it.

13. Sistros

Sistros Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 24, 2010
    I think the problem people have mostly is that Anakin wasn't exactly mature while Padme was.

So even to me it seems a bit odd, it doesn't bother me, nor does it ruin my enjoyment of the films,

but I can see why people might think it peculiar

Charlie512 likes this.
  14. Zapdos

Jan 7, 2013
    All those comments were made while he was raging over his mothers death.
    "I will learn to stop people from dying" is only creepy if the one saying it and/or the one listening to it knew exactly what this involves, the downsides (being sith and all). When this is being said he's not planning on turning to the dark side and rise an Empire with a sith lord in order to obtain this skill. He just doesn't want the people he loves to die.
    "I will be the most powerful jedi ever" is not imo a creepy comment. It can be described by numerous adjectives, like childish, weird etc but not creepy. The jedis are considered kind, trustworthy and keepers of the peace. There's nothing wrong about being a powerful jedi.
    The last one is not creepy. It's a lot of things, but not creepy imo. I find her lack of reaction to this more creepy, actually. In fact I dislike most parts regarding Padme on Tatooine. She doesn't seemed moved by anything. Not what happened to Shmi, his sorrow or anything. I've sometimes wondered as well why she never tried to do anything about the situation on Tatootine, what with the slaves and all. She was queen and then senator so she was obviously into politics, duh. And when Shmi told her in TPM that the republic doesn't exist out there, you'd think that she'd at least try to change that and help them out since she's a politician and all, and she is the type that usually would be interested in making a change like that

15. GODLIKE

GODLIKE Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 28, 2012
    bad writing bad acting= weird relationship

16. GODLIKE

GODLIKE Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 28, 2012
    and jedi mind tricks o damn it must be easy for jedi to get that ***** my ***** mace be ****ing all the finest *****es!

Ramza Edit: Please take a few moments to review our banned and disallowed words list.

VMeran, Cryogenic and StarWarsVerses like this.
  17. Darth Ibonek

Darth Ibonek Jedi Knight star 2

Jan 11, 2013
    ^ I can only imagine his word choice there... [face_hypnotized] [face_laugh]

18. rumsmuggler

rumsmuggler Chosen One star 7

Aug 31, 2000
    I saw it earlier, so I don't have to imagine ;).

19. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000
    He should have left his mother's body for the buzzards. Obviously.

20. Zapdos

Jan 7, 2013
    Obviously.

21. lbr789

lbr789 Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 27, 2013
    The OP's arguments seem to boil down to "I wouldn't date him, therefore I don't see why anyone else should"
    If you don't like him, fine. But everyone in the movie doesn't have to share this opinion, and it's not wrong and creepy that they don't.

22. Lord Chazza

Lord Chazza Jedi Master star 4

Jan 4, 2013
    Padme was queen of an entire planet at 14 while Anakin was inducted to what amounts to the republican guard at the age of 9. When grand things happen to young people it often isolates them and makes them feel lonely. Padme and Anakin were probably desperately lonely so when they were reunited after 10 years everything just kind of clicked. That's my take on it. Granted, Anakin was rather creepy and I would probably look for someone else to date besides him if I were Padme.

Jarren_Lee-Saber and Cryogenic like this.
  23. Cryogenic

Cryogenic Force Ghost star 5

Jul 20, 2005
    Mike Stoklasa, is that you?

24. SithStarSlayer

SithStarSlayer Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2003
    I almost made you a VIP after reading this.;)

25. Jedi_Ford_Prefect

Jun 9, 2003
    Ha, what kept you? It was the reference to Masochism, wasn't it?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.