main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT How does Padme love Anakin? (Did she have too much whine?)

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Garrett Atkins, Mar 5, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cryogenic

Cryogenic Force Ghost star 5

Jul 20, 2005
    I barely think killing all the men is any more acceptable, but in a dog-eat-dog way, it does make a sort of Darwinian sense. And your personal interpretation is similar to mine. Yes, he could be overstating. And Padme -- this has been my contention for a while now -- probably convinces herself that Anakin is just in a daze and not speaking straight. Given that he just lost his mother and is drenched in grief, she likely sees him as lost and confused: too traumatized to really know what he's saying. This also gives Obi-Wan's revelation to her in ROTS, that Anakin "has become a very great threat" after he saw a recording of him killing younglings, added bite. It's like a veil slips from Padme's eyes. First, she has to deal with the horror that she's been denying things to herself concomitant with the reality of what Anakin has done; second, she transcends that struggle, in her final moments, to see that much deeper into his soul ("There's good in him"). But it will take another generation to undo the damage.

They're very moral issues; or issues involving moral thinking. They stir the emotions. People get very fired up about them. Yeah, we've been entrenched in one or two, I think, but I'm not much interested in prolonging the topic, either. And that's nothing personal. I think our views are, ultimately, quite similar. Either way, we better have vented our opinions by now! The topic has been hashed to death and everyone has said their piece. But no doubt, everyone will eventually say their piece again.

2. Plebeian

Plebeian Jedi Padawan star 1

Oct 31, 2012
    Whilst on top, I'd assume.

3. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Force. Enhanced. Foreplay.

That is all.

4. SithStarSlayer

SithStarSlayer Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2003
    Perhaps a heated Saga discussion in the making, does Star Wars embrace a "Kill Bill, before Bill kills you" mentality? But only if the OP includes a gif of Bill Greedo NOT snapping his round off first. I should probably get Darth_Nub involved ahead of time, the last thread I sent over ended up as the lock of the week. :p

5. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    How? How? How? I'll tell you ho...actually, wait no I won't.

6. SHAD0W-JEDI

SHAD0W-JEDI Force Ghost star 4

May 20, 2002
    When someone asks "How could so-and-so be in love with him/her?" what they are usually saying is "I had THIS opinion of so-and-so... of their character and personality. For so-and-so to be in love with THIS person suggests I had that wrong to some extent!". I mention that because, in addition to agreeing with those above who say it is arguably fruitless to try to apply logic to the question of love, I've always thought the Padme/Anakin love story is a darker, stranger, and less wholesome one than a lot of folks seem to want to address.

7. Lady_Skywalker87

Lady_Skywalker87 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 4, 2008
    I'm not even going to attempt to dispute the original topic of this thread because is rather futile...as has been said it boils down to whether you like Anakin's character or not.
    Agreed. To most conventional people the characters may seem outside of their reality, or perhaps something about stroke a chord so real it makes them uncomfortable rejecting the character altogether...something I suspect is factor in Anakin's "negative" popularity. I believe all characters are are extremely reliable, Anakin & Padmè most of all.... but then again I'm a missfit in this perfection striving system society just like them.

8. LandoThe CapeCalrissian

LandoThe CapeCalrissian Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 30, 2012
    well technically you really can help who you fall in love with... technically...

Most people who date trash and complete losers, or women who date married men all have psychological trauma from childhood. Reason being no self respecting woman would ever date a married man unless she grew up in scenarios like that or has no moral fiber at all.

On to the thread topic, I think Padame and Anakin had a bond since they first met when he was a weee youngster.

Jarren_Lee-Saber likes this.
  9. rumsmuggler

rumsmuggler Chosen One star 7

Aug 31, 2000
    You know what I mean.
    Anyways, dating losers and trash isn't the same as being in love with them. Psychological trauma can be fixed, depending on how severe it is. Moral fiber or lack thereof is a different can of worms.

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  10. DRush76

DRush76 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 25, 2008

Are you serious? I think you're confusing moral compass with love.

11. Darth kRud

Darth kRud Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 1, 2012
    It's a movie, she didn't love him but Lucas thought it was a great love story and the Lucas lovers (said in pirate voice like 'land lovers') will make whatever excuse for the bland arrangement. You may not be able to explain love but you can explain a sub par love story. The question shouldn't be why did she love him it should be why did Lucas write the story in such a manner which would even bring that question up. The answer is HE DIDNT MEAN TO DO SUCH A THING. As in, he messed up.

12. Bale

Bale Jedi Master star 4

May 9, 2005
    [face_rofl] That might be the funniest line I've seen in a long time.

13. KilroyMcFadden

KilroyMcFadden Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 31, 2012
    It really depends on which version of the Padme Anakin relationship you go for. It is nearly impossible to believe in the GL movie versions as depicted because he Anakin is depicted as a whiny, petulant emo teen,and nobody ever liked them, not even themselves. In The Clone Wars however... Anakin is a good man, a stand up guy, with just enough bad-boy vibe to lend credibility to Padme's attraction.

It's completely valid and justified for the OP to question how the PT relationship could have happened. I'm not personally aware of anyone in real life that didn't find Hayden's version of the character slimy and unlikable. Leave it to the internet to bring out the apologists to make the claim the relationship somehow worked.

...GL just doesn't get love.

TOSCHESTATION and Son of a Bith like this.
  14. PiettsHat

PiettsHat Force Ghost star 4

Jan 1, 2011
    That's a rather unkind thing to say. Especially since Lucas is getting married again soon. Or are you implying that his fiancée is only after his money? Which is also a rather unkind thing to suggest.

Anyway, I won't bother trying to converse with you. You have the right to be wrong.

15. Narutakikun

Narutakikun Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 8, 2012
    This post reminds me of that old MadTV bit about the censored version of The Sopranos

16. KilroyMcFadden

KilroyMcFadden Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 31, 2012
    GL's failure is clearly more of an inability to write a relationship than to carry one out. Though, one wonders how long he's been in a dry spell. Perhaps all of the criticism of Anakin made him reevaluate his personal dating philosophy and techniques?

17. Cryogenic

Jul 20, 2005
    That's just dumb. I'd say he only learned how stupid and intolerant people are; or, at the least, proved how under-educated and cinematically-illiterate the average Star Wars fan is. GL knew he was making a melodrama with AOTC and he also knew that people might not like it (read the "Making Of" AOTC for more). I doubt he revised or thought twice about any of his own dating strategies in the aftermath.

Maybe, ya know -- based on the various comments I've read over the years, anyway -- it's some Star Wars fans that just don't get love, or some of the forms it can take. If they had some intimation of the sort of themes and ideas at work in the prequel trilogy, they might see that Anakin and Padme have decent reasons to be attracted to each other. Apparently, they'd rather jettison everything Lucas established in Episode I and still grouse that Padme has "no reason" to fall in love with Anakin (as if love, when all is said and done, is based on simple logic or reasoning to begin with).

Lucas was likely in a "dry spell", romance-wise, when making the prequels because he was... making the prequels. He clearly didn't have much time or inclination to seriously pursue romantic entanglements. And based on how things went for him when making the first trilogy, I can't say I blame him.

18. Garrett Atkins

Garrett Atkins Jedi Knight star 4

Feb 11, 2013
    I haven't seen an argument from you of why they would be attracted to each other.

TOSCHESTATION likes this.
  19. Cryogenic

Jul 20, 2005
    It's not the sort of thing that needs to be formulated into an argument. If you can't see why these two characters might have an attraction for each other -- especially after all the conversation on the subject these past ten (almost eleven) years -- I really can't help you. Oh, and for the record, I've said plenty on the subject. You being ignorant of my posts is not my issue.

20. Darth kRud

Nov 1, 2012
    Love and telling a good love story are two different things. I couldn't write a good love story, at least not one that would generically please millions of people. James Cameron seems to have that down.

21. Darth kRud

Nov 1, 2012
    In defense of Lucas love story telling shortcomings I can say from experience violent/traumatic experiences shared by two people can manifest in doomed romance. That's actually the foundation for most good love stories. I think Lucas tried that angle...kinda. TPM got in the way- he had to JAM it all in AOTC in the few scenes they were together.

22. DRush76

DRush76 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 25, 2008

I think you're still confusing love with moral compass. That's okay. A great number of human beings do this. Which is why when it comes to real love, most humans are in the dark.

This explanation does not work for me.

23. Bale

Bale Jedi Master star 4

May 9, 2005
    How does Padme love Anakin?

Like a fat girl loves twinkies...not the healthiest of attachments.

24. Darth kRud

Nov 1, 2012
    The love story was a masterpiece. Lucas is Jesus with the soul of Shakespeare. The scenes in Attack of The Clones brought tears to my eyes. I can only hope, before I die, to find a love as deep and complex as Lucas portrayed in the prequels. Something so real it could even drive me to infanticide. Maybe blow up a planet or two. Cry like a baby in fields of flowers.

25. Darth kRud

Nov 1, 2012
    Moral compass? The words I typed had nothing to do with morality and everything to do with a man who placed a love story at the center of his films without being able to tell one. If Lucas could tell a good love story the question 'why did she love him' wouldn't even come up because we'd see the chemistry on screen - it would be accepted for what it is- love. It was a ***** love story. I'm not sure why people insist on defending absolutely anything and everything Lucas does. I'm starting to find it strange. Like Scientology.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.