main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT How does Padme love Anakin? (Did she have too much whine?)

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Garrett Atkins, Mar 5, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jcuk

Jcuk Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 16, 2013
    Are you supposed to be crying in the faces? Why?

2. SithStarSlayer

SithStarSlayer Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2003
    Speculation like that doesn't do anything for me either.[face_thinking]

Using your logic: "it's what is in the film that counts.";)

3. Jcuk

Mar 16, 2013
    Yeah, as in regards to MAJOR plot developments and character arcs the audience would rather witness than be expected to just accept as something that 'happened' before this point of the story. (I hope that makes sense lol)

4. Anakin_Darth

Anakin_Darth Jedi Knight star 2

Mar 28, 2005
    Don't worry about this [Removed] he's just echoing the idiotic RLM "review". It was stupid then. It's even dumber now. Arguing it just brings you down to their level, considering they're not even the OP's thoughts, but someone else's, if you can even label them as thoughts. [face_laugh][face_laugh][face_laugh]
    Move along......move along....

5. Jcuk

Mar 16, 2013
    That's a bit strong chief! All though i did agree with the RLM review, this is entirely my own point of view. I am capable of them you know (sigh) Seems to me your so anti RLM it clouds your judgement.

6. Jcuk

Mar 16, 2013
    Removed.

7. SithStarSlayer

SithStarSlayer Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2003
    This ends now.

8. Ani501st

Ani501st Jedi Padawan star 3

Mar 18, 2013
    I would first say that love is not something you can explain

Here's my thoughts on the +/- game :
    + Good Looks, even though I'm a guy I'll give him that
    + Finds loophole about love in the Jedi Order
    + Carries her bags on Naboo
    + Listens to her talk about herself and the Queen
    + Compliment at the beginning of the movie ( I wouldn't say awkward just compliment said in a certain way )
    + Talks about how he is frustrated with Obi-Wan and the Council ( show that he doesn't hide his feelings in front of her )
    - Loses temper ( nobody is perfect )
    - Murders men, women, and children ( they killed his mother, revenge is not really something that a lot of people control, unfortunately )
    + Brings Shmi's corpse home ( it shows that he has a heart because he wants to give her a proper funeral, it was his mother ! )
    + --------------------------- Crying ( shows his humanity )
    + Skeleton Hand ( I would say creepy but cool )
    So only 2 - against 9 +.

9. darkchrono

darkchrono Jedi Master star 4

May 23, 2005
    For falling for a guy after hearing words like this come out of his mouth

TOSCHESTATION likes this.
  10. DarthRelaxus

DarthRelaxus Chosen One star 5

Apr 23, 2007
    I think Anakin had far more whine. :p

Admiral Volshe and TOSCHESTATION like this.
  11. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    I think you had a little too much wine :p

12. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    Before this thread gets locked, I just want to take a moment to say that there is a legitimate question here buried under cheap PT-bashing jokes: while I'm pretty sure Anakin's romantic dialogue is intended to be forced (an already-somewhat-awkward nineteen-year-old raised by monks isn't exactly going to be Mr. Smooth Talker), it never really did make sense to me why Padme still went for it.

VanishingReality likes this.
  13. MRCynical

MRCynical Jedi Knight star 1

Oct 7, 2008
    He's a slave-turned-monk from a backwater planet trying (and failing) to sound sophisticated to impress the older aristocrat girl he likes. Plus remember that the editing of that video is backwards compared to the actual movie - she was already falling for him before he came out with that.

14. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    I think she had a little Anakin herself after that bit. Ba-dum-dum-ching!

15. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011

This.

Anakin had no experience whatsoever with women. It would have been weird if he had been suave and not made a complete ass of himself.

Thoix Heoro and Darth Chiznuk like this.
  16. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    Padme should have just told Anakin to just stop talking, he's much more attractive that way.

Anakin should have just taken off his shirt and started flexing instead of using words.

PT romance fixed.

17. Darth Dominikkus

Darth Dominikkus Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 5, 2013
    I just think that love got the best of her, you know? Her emotions outweighed her logic and it didn't help her out at all.

18. darkchrono

darkchrono Jedi Master star 4

May 23, 2005
    ehhh, I think that scene is a result of a poor writer trying to make a scene about awkward young love. So what we ended up getting was not an awkward scene about young love. But just a bad scene in general.

The romance scenes Lucas tried to write in the PT I would say many would agree are the worst dialogue scenes within the entire six movies.

TOSCHESTATION and ILNP like this.
  19. Darth Eddie

Darth Eddie Jedi Master star 4

May 14, 2013
    The love scenes in attack of the clones were inspired by french noir romance films of the 30's and 40's. After sitting through a couple of those, I can tell you Star Wars' take on the style is infinitely more entertaining. I also felt sour about AotC's romance until I considered this, and I've flipped 180 degrees. Cheesy as they are, there's a lot of powerful truth spoken in the lines of dialog.

FRAGWAGON and VanishingReality like this.
  20. DRush76

DRush76 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 25, 2008
    Paul F. McDonald believes their romance was based upon the concept of "courtly love".

21. Vthuil

Jan 3, 2013
    I can buy that, actually, though I don't know how well it worked in practice.

22. VanishingReality

VanishingReality Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 21, 2013
    Am I the only one who thinks it was written to be intentionally scary/disturbing and not romantic? I mean the dialogue is kind of the give away.

It's kind of intimidating and Sith-ish. He might as well say something like, "Your feelings have betrayed you. There is no escape..This will be a date long remembered. "

23. Vthuil

Jan 3, 2013
    ...Really?

eye roll

Seriously, though, I don't find this theory as convincing. The degree of Anakin's attachment was probably intended to be slightly unhealthy, but the whole relationship? Doesn't really fit.

24. VanishingReality

VanishingReality Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 21, 2013
    lol I do ship them, but I seriously do find that speech creepy and foreshadowing. Haunted, Tormenting, Can't Breathe, etc.
    I didn't say it was the whole relationship just that speech.

I should also add that I don't think the foreshadowing is a bad thing either.

Revenge of the Dak likes this.
  25. Carbon1985

Carbon1985 Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 23, 2013
    Why does anyone fall for anybody? As cheesy as the love story is in AOTC, it isn't a stretch that Padme was attracted to Anakin, and that is all it could have been about. Some girls like the bad boy, some girls like the nice guy, some girls like a guy they can control, etc.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.