main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

How does Sidious take out four Jedi masters?

Discussion in 'Archive: Revenge of the Sith' started by shadysnake, May 11, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Falon

Falon Jedi Youngling

Apr 28, 2005
    It was explained in the novel that he used ( somekind of force speed during his attack). I wish it were done the way the novel says but it is my own oppinion that the first two attacks where slowed down for the viewers of the movie (so we can see the attacks). In the Novel he uses force speed and it is so fast that he attacks jumps back after killing two masters takes his saber stabs it in the recording console turns to Mace and Fits and says " I have been looking forward to this for a long time, "grins" then attacks again. This time the masters are ready adn Fits holds his own as he did in the movie. When he went one on one with Mace he was overconfident, he didnt expect Mace to be as great as he was. Mace was in control of that duel in my oppinion, overconfidence got the best of Sidious. That is my thought on that scene though, that he used force speed during his initial attack to take out the first two masters.

Another point from the novel is that Sidious distracts both of the first two masters by asking one of them to search Palpatines feels and see if they sence any hostility from him. Then he goes into the attack I stated earlier.

2. jedi_master_ousley

jedi_master_ousley Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2002
    That's a good thought that perhaps it just appeared slower to us, the viewers, than it actually was.

3. ObiWan506

ObiWan506 Former Head Admin star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 5, 2003
    For Agen Kolar and Stass Allie's case, I hope so.

:p

4. sageofdoom

sageofdoom Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 23, 2005
    well, sidious did have surprise on his side...
    and he is the sith lord...

5. GrievousKiller

GrievousKiller Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 20, 2005
    The other two jedi other than Kit and mace were nobody jedi.

Fisto and Mace got unlucky

6. jsberry

jsberry Jedi Youngling

Jun 22, 2005
    and ruthless efficiency

7. inkswamp

inkswamp Jedi Master star 3

Oct 14, 2004
    I hear all that but can't really understand what that has to do with the Jedi standing around letting Palpatine stab them. You suggest that the darkforce has clouded their perception and has somehow rendered them, I don't know. You honestly think this scene is deliberately meant to convey more than just a duel? More than just a coreographed action sequence?

Of course. It's the insistence that it's merely a choreographed action sequence that is causing all this confusion about what is actually happening.

I mean, its a long shot that the scene is SUPPOSED to reflect what you are saying about cloud deceptions- cause if they are not seeing clearly, why do they attempt to fight at all?

Because they don't realize what's being done to them until it's too late. A Jedi's reflexes and instincts come from the force and an ability to see things before they happen. If Palpatine is able to cloud their vision, their reflexes and instincts are going to fail them. That's what he's doing and has been doing and they can't react quickly enough in fighting him.

If Palpatine leaping and flipping all over the place after igniting his weapon is clouded, why don't they all just stand there and be killed one by one including Mace?

Mace, Yoda and Obi-Wan (as it has been established) are catching on to this clouding of the future from the dark side; they have been contemplating it. They are the three that start to figure it out and they are, for that reason, able to best shake it off and hold their own against the Sith... at least for a while. The other Jedi are a lost cause. The order 66 scenes have been mocked as ridiculous but they are not. Consider that these Jedi haven't figured out what Mace, Yoda and Obi-Wan have and therefore are easy prey. Their instincts and view of the future are clouded. They don't die at the hands of stormtroopers because they're weak--it's because they can't see it coming until it's too late. That's why Yoda and Obi-Wan survive the order 66 attack and the others don't (although Obi-Wan seems to have been the recipient of some dumb luck in dropping into a pool.)

8. inkswamp

inkswamp Jedi Master star 3

Oct 14, 2004
    and ruthless efficiency

And an almost fanatical devotion to the Emperor.

9. Darth-Vassago

Darth-Vassago Jedi Master star 5

Jun 28, 2004
    monarque1972 posted on 5/12/05 5:00am
    Sidious is extremely powerful, more powerful than most of the greatest Jedi in the order. That's why!

But I don't really care what Ian said about Sidious being the fastest swordman in the galaxy, because he was at least disarmed by 2 Jedi in the same day : Windu and Yoda.

So in my opinion, Sidious is even more powerful when he uses his force powers than his lightsaber.

regards!
    [hr][/blockquote]

When was Sidious disarmed by Yoda? :-/

~Vassago

10. Darth_Sidious_1983

Darth_Sidious_1983 Jedi Knight star 1

Jun 6, 2005
    ^^^ I hate to be objective here, but THE most powerful Force user ever was indeed disarmed by his little green friend. :(

* stops cackling to self *

Check out the screenplay - this is why Sids escapes to the Senate pods... and uses Force lightning when Yoda ignites his lightsaber on the "last" pod

11. Darth-Vassago

Jun 28, 2004
    We don't see this in the movie. All we see is the two coming up through the senate floor, then it cuts to The Duel, and when "Duel of the Fates" is playing, it cuts back to Sidious and Yoda, where Sidious is flinging pods at Yoda. According to the movie that everyone saw, Sidious wasn't disarmed by Yoda.

...unless it says so in the novel... :confused:

~Vassago

12. Darth_Sidious_1983

Darth_Sidious_1983 Jedi Knight star 1

Jun 6, 2005
    ^^^ Palps was screaming in pain before the scene cut back to "The Duel" - then it cut back to the final segment of the Yoda-Palps duel... wherein he was laughing once more.

When Yoda finally approached him, he clearly wanted to finish the job using a lightsaber...

Think about it: If Palps had a lightsaber with him, why didn't he follow up his disarming of Yoda with a lightsaber attack? Because he had no lightsaber; he was disarmed earlier!

13. Darth-Vassago

Jun 28, 2004
    Perhaps, but as I said, this isn't seen on screen. If it's in the novel, which I own, then I'll relinquish. But I haven't gotten that far, so I can't say for sure.

I thought Palpatine used the lightning on Yoda because it was a quick way to disarm him, and it was. He didn't want to duel again, so he just went with the lightning. That's how it looked to me.

~Vassago

14. yoshifett

yoshifett Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 17, 2004
    Here's how, from GL himself and Nick Gillard:

On page 205 of the making of ROTS book, Lucas says "You have to be either Mace or Yoda to compete with the Emperor. If Anakin hadn't got all beat-up, he could've beat the Emperor."
    Here's what that same book says about Gillard's saber rankings:

As they approach the end of the climactic battle between Obi-Wan and Anakin, Gillard explains how he's rate the various Star Wars swordsmen: "On Attack of the Clones, I had to give them levels," he says. "Sidious is a level nine; nine out of ten. On this film, Obi is eight-he's moved up-Anakin is a nine, Mace is a nine, Yoda is a nine. They're up with Sidious."

15. TheCRZA

TheCRZA Jedi Padawan star 4

May 29, 2005
    That is insightful, yet again serves to show that oftentime what GL & Co. state
    about their characters and how they portray them on film are antithetical.

Furthermore, it makes no sense to have a 1-10 scale and no show us what a 10 looks like.
    Their framing of reference seems arbitrary at best, suiting the needs of story
    explanation rather than rationale.

16. Achilles_of_Edmonton

Achilles_of_Edmonton Jedi Youngling star 4

May 13, 2005
    Palps aint that special. All he did was read the directions on the box of his dild . . I mean Light saber. "point, stab, repeat."

17. TheCRZA

May 29, 2005
    No joke. Didn't anyone ever point out to the jedi in all their years of training
    that the pointy end works too?

"By the way younglings, be on the lookout for this..."

18. SearchYourFeelings

SearchYourFeelings Jedi Youngling

Jun 18, 2005
    Its the blitzkrieg tactic. Palps moves fast and furios and he is using a lot of anger in his attack.The anger gives a him power, anger its like an adrenaline pump, very efficient for a short period of time.
    However like any blitz tactic if you do not win in the very beggining you will loose at the end,the Sith lack stamina and they cannot win if the duel lasts too long.
    On another side Palps knows his enemy very well, he had spent a long time studying their tactics, movement and behaviour while the Jedis have a poor knowledge about the Siths. The Jedis have to learn about the Siths tactics on the spot, no chance for training or a Matrix-like computer aided simulation.

19. NeoBaggins

NeoBaggins Jedi Master star 5

Oct 28, 2003

Well, Inkswamp, I guess we'll just have to meet back when the DVD is released. If this is deep as you say it is there will indeed be commentary during the scene.

I'll see you then.

20. TheCRZA

May 29, 2005
    Just occured to me that Qui Gon Jinn died at the point of Darth Maul's saber as well.
    Talk about exploiting a chink the the armor... Suppose that's more of a fencing
    move than a european swordplay means.

Reminds of me the ninja/samurai distinction. ninja use straight piercing blades
    to stab while samurai use curving blades to slash.

hey, a historical analogy at 3 in the am. i need therapy.

21. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001
    Perhaps, but as I said, this isn't seen on screen. If it's in the novel, which I own, then I'll relinquish. But I haven't gotten that far, so I can't say for sure.

It's not in the novelization.

It is, however, in the screenplay.

22. kiskolou

kiskolou Jedi Knight star 2

Mar 23, 2005
    palpatine wins because he embraces death.In his mindset,he is already dead and therefore,cannot die.Just some bushido for ya.

23. yaddidameen

yaddidameen Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 13, 2005
    palpatine wins because he embraces death.In his mindset,he is already dead and therefore,cannot die.Just some bushido for ya.

no

24. DarthSyphus

DarthSyphus Jedi Youngling star 1

May 26, 2005
    Darth Sidious was clearly better than Yoda. First of all, he knocked Yoda unconscious; Yoda never knocked Sidious unconscious. Second, he blew the lightsaber out of his hand; Yoda never disarmed Sidious. Third, Sidious threw multiple Senate pods at Yoda while Yoda could only throw one back at him. Fourth, Sidious had the high ground. Fifth, Yoda ends up on the floor looking sad, and Sidious ends up on top laughing. Sixth, Yoda ends the conflict by escaping, and decides to go into exile, admitting that he failed.

25. -Spiff-

-Spiff- Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 9, 2005
    The technical answer is because Sids was fast and skilled... but the question is actually a true mystery when you consider the scene shot in the film. In the time Palps takes to stab the first guy, and compentent swordsman could have killed 3 people.

I had big hopes for a masterly display of lethal precision. Instead, I was extremely disappointed in this scene... Sids was slow, telegraphed all his moves terribly, and you couldn't even see what the other masters were doing because of the close-up cinematography.

-Spiff

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.