main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT How does the CIS work?

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by PaperSkin, Mar 13, 2016.

1. PaperSkin

PaperSkin Jedi Knight star 3

Mar 12, 2015
    Hi, I like the idea of the CIS but I don't really understand how it would work, so as the tittle says, how does the CIS work?

The main members (as far as I know) are big corporations so how does this work when they go to war... the trade federation the banking clans etc how do they operate when they go against the republic... the members of the republic are their clients, that's where their money/business comes from, wouldn't their business fail to function once turning against the republic or are they surviving on their current funds and hoping to change the galaxy within a certain period, and so then can start functioning and making a profit after that in a redesigned galaxy structure that will work for them even better than the Republic status quo.

Are the companies so powerful and needed that the people of the galaxy will still trade and use them despite the companies being at war with the government and attacking and taking over worlds...

Also when we see the trade federation its always the same species representing it, surely as its a business shouldn't it have lots of different species what with it being a globalised galaxy, or does that species just have a monopoly on the corporation or the biggest influence (say like the a family may with a company, like the Murdoch's with fox)

Be interested to understand the workings better..

CIS Droid likes this.
  2. {Quantum/MIDI}

{Quantum/MIDI} Force Ghost star 5

Dec 21, 2015
    Lel, none of us know how CIS Droid works.

That guy is a mystery.

3. CIS Droid

CIS Droid AOTC 20th Anniversary Banner Winner star 5 VIP - Game Winner

Oct 21, 2015
    Well, The Clone Wars explained that several of the big funders of CIS claimed they were neutral. This allowed them to still do buisness with the Republic, while also be in a war with them. I would imagine if TCW wasnt cancelled it would explain that the Republic would eventually find out that the corporations like the trade federation were against them, then stop with business between them all togethe, which would lead to the situation in RotS, where Nute Gunray starts having doubts and they attack the core planet of the republic, probably out of desperation.

The CIS also had their own type of government shown in the TCW episode, Heroes on Both sides, which is just a font because its obvious the buisnessmen still are the ones in control

The trade federation is run by Nute Gunrays and the rest of his species ( Neimoidians).

I hope this explains it, if it didnt, im a disgrace to my name.

4. DarthCricketer

DarthCricketer Jedi Master star 3

Feb 18, 2016
    Not too well (based on the film: how on Earth do they present a threat?)

5. PaperSkin

PaperSkin Jedi Knight star 3

Mar 12, 2015
    Would they not think though that the droids used in the war look just like the trade federation droids.... plus creating mass droid armies is unlikely to go without notice of some word getting out so surely the republic would know that the corporations are building armies/ships.... unless they just fund operations and various worlds/races build the armies using trade federation money...

6. True Sith

True Sith Jedi Master star 4

May 10, 2015
    Yeah, as explained in The Clone Wars, those big corporations are supposedly maintaining neutrality, selling arms and giving out loans to both sides. In reality of course they were largely backing the CIS. Those organizations are so powerful, though, that the Republic can't just cut them off and not do business with them; the whole economy would come crashing down. The whole pretending-to-be-neutral thing is a retcon a lot of people don't like, but it actually makes a lot of sense when you think about it.

CIS Droid likes this.
  7. CIS Droid

CIS Droid AOTC 20th Anniversary Banner Winner star 5 VIP - Game Winner

Oct 21, 2015

Well, Nute Gunray was still associated with the CIS, while the Trade Federation distanced themselves from him and claimed he was an extremist. In reality, Nute Gunray is still in control of the Trade Federation. And as shown in the episode "sphere of influence" from season 3 of the clone wars, the Trade Federation still use battledroids.

The reasoning for CIS using the same battledroids was because it would allow them to build a huge army in a short amount of time, since the B1 battledroids were easily mass-produced. The plan was that they would attack overwhelm the republic, since (excluding Dooku) the CIS council didn't know about the clone army created on Kamino.

In conclusion, the B1 battledroids would allow the CIS to quickly take over the Republic. Its also never stated that the battledroids are only made for the Trade Federation, there might be other factions using the same droids

8. darkspine10

darkspine10 Chosen One star 8

Dec 7, 2014
    Well, they have a massive army, and the Republic has nothing until the Clones show up.

9. DarthCricketer

DarthCricketer Jedi Master star 3

Feb 18, 2016

Whereupon they immediately have a large part of their army destroyed. All in all, what I'm getting at is that the Republic is portrayed as being just a little too victorious for my liking.

And to the main question; I envisaged something similar: there's probably few core members who do much of the work and skim out most of the wealth and power (or whatever), and perhaps they could present enough of an idealistic facade to attract other people without coercion or suspicion.

10. Slicer87

Slicer87 Jedi Master star 4

Mar 18, 2013
    Many of the corporations and guilds in the CIS are mega corporations that have a quasi government status. That is they are so powerful they have almost become a government or sovereignty in their own right, which is why the TF has its own senator in the senate in TPM. This has happened in the past as with the East Indie Trading Company that ruled its trading partners and trade territories, it could declare peace, declare war, and had its own private army. It even became a internal rival to the British government! Eventually British parliament passed laws reducing the ETC's power, and most countries have laws to prevent future mega corporations.

The various mega corporations in the GFFA wanted free trade and not have their mega powers constrained by a central government like with the ETC, hence why they joined the free trade friendly CIS and dragged the planets under the various corporations' control with them. They would view the war as a long term investment, once they won they would have free trade and huge profit margins. The CIS would be a corporate based government.

The CIS was made up of thousands of member worlds which is still plenty of business for the corporations until the big payoff. The neutral bit in TCW doesn't make much sense and goes against what the films presents which shows the mega corporation are in full open warfare with the Republic. Would not be the first or only time TCW doesn't fully mesh with the PT films.

11. mikeximus

mikeximus Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 6, 2012
    Strictly from the movies, at the beginning of AOTC, the mega-corps were not a part of the separatist movement. The separatist movement (later called the CIS) was a political movement led by a political idealist and firebrand by the name of Count Dooku. There was no real formed government at this point as those planets that were part of the separatists movement had only informed the Republic of their intent to break away, but, were still in negotiations with the Republic to find a solution to the problem. This is where we came into the situation at the beginning of AOTC and is the negotiations that Palpatine is referring too. So again, the mega corps were not a part of separatists movement originally.

We find out later in the movie however that Dooku is secretly courting these mega-corps in order to secure their armies and also political capital in that if Dooku can get these mega-corps to sign on with the separatists, than thousands more systems will flip and leave the Republic.

Faced with the threat of the mega-corps armies and the political backlash of thousands of systems leaving the Republic, Dooku would be able to basically blackmail the Republic into any terms the separatists wanted. Presumably the mega-corps would be rewarded greatly in whatever settlement of the new government that came out of the blackmail. Basically Dooku was playing on the mega-corps greed to join the separatists movement, as they really didn't have any reasons politically to join the separatists. This is what we see happening in AOTC when Dooku is meeting with the mega-corps, they are pledging their armies to him and the separatist movement.

However, Dooku and Sidious set everyone up perfectly so that the war catches both sides by surprise.

What I always surmised as happening after AOTC was that since the separatists movement was just that, a movement, at the beginning of AOTC, they didn't have any real structure to their government, so the mega-corps conveniently stepped in and became the leaders of the Separatist movement once the war unexpectedly started, hence the CIS was born. I come to this conclusion because Palpatine refers to Viceroy Gunray and the other mega-corp leaders we saw from AOTC as the separatists leaders a couple times in ROTS. When he tells Grievous to move them to Mustafar and when it came to having Anakin target and kill them as a way to end the war.

So from the movies alone we are supposed to understand that those mega-corps leaders ended up being the leaders of the CIS, and once Dooku, Grievous, and the other mega-corps leaders were all dead and the droid armies shut down, the CIS was lost and would come under the heel of the newly formed Empires boot! So from the movies alone I think it's implied that these mega-corps leaders became the CIS leaders overnight because of how fast the war started. They basically filled the vacuum created when the war started.

As far as the show TCW is concerned, I agree with Slicer87 a little, but not wholly. There seems to be a really really light retcon in that the Separatists leaders we see in ROTS aren't actually the only leaders. TCW setup that there was a political side to the CIS that involved a CIS Senate and Dooku was chancellor/President. This Senate even held votes on negotiations and political aspects that held power over Dooku.

The bigger retcon from TCW was that the Republic didn't seem to realize that the Mega-Corps were actually separatists leaders. For example the banking clan was still doing business in the Republic, even as far as to loan the Republic funds to pay for the war effort. This seems to be in stark contrast to the movies as it's clear that Obi Wan sees and hears who is pledging support to the separatist movement in AOTC!

12. ConservativeJedi321

ConservativeJedi321 Force Ghost star 6

Mar 19, 2016
    They work under the delusion that the corporations don't control them.

Though the Clone wars never really explains it better then showing the Separatist Congress it is my personal theory that at some point the Republic invaded Raxus splintering the Congress, and so as to prevent a fracturing of the CIS Dooku invested more authority in the council to make legislative decisions. But I have no evidence to prove this. Just a happy fan trying to fill in the blanks where TCW left off.

I'm also inclined to think its kind of like our three branches of government,
    Parliament = Legislative
    Head of State= Executive
    The Council= A very twisted form of judicial.
    But again this is just my fan theory.

So in short, the answer to your question is, there is no definitive Canon Answer. :)

Huttese 101 likes this.