main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

How does the Death Star move?

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by DeranHall, May 25, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DeranHall

DeranHall Jedi Youngling

May 21, 2004
    Does anyone have an idea on how the Death Star moves? I believe it can jump to light speed as well. Any idea how?

2. TwiLekJedi

TwiLekJedi Pretty Ex-Mod star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2001
    Its engines are on the equatorial ring - for both sublight and hyperdrive.

3. Errant_Venture

Errant_Venture Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 21, 2002
    Listen to the newbie mod should you.

The Death Star is hyperspace capable, but it is slow, very slow. :(

4. Timbuz

Timbuz Jedi Youngling

May 11, 2004
    in Space, Aerodynamics dont exist, Our spacescraft are only aerodynamic as the have get through the earthly environment to get to space. In theory, if you push something in space it will never stop, as no gravity means no friction, therefore very little propulsion is needed to move, as effectively the death star is weightless. The difficulty would be in Stopping the momentum that such a large spacecraft would gain in space. The Star wars incredible cross sections book however has some details about the drive and hyperdrive systems.

5. DamonD

DamonD Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 22, 2002
    The fact the Death Star has hyperdrive underlines just how powerful a weapon it could be...it would be able to jump to any system it wanted, just appear out of no-where and start destroying planets before disappearing again.

6. Bib Fortuna Twi'lek

Bib Fortuna Twi'lek Jedi Youngling star 10

Jul 9, 1999
    It has engines. They're just relatively small, so they're hard to see.

7. Juke Skywalker

Juke Skywalker Force Ghost star 5

Mar 27, 2004
    It moves very carefully ;)

8. -SummerMendocino-

-SummerMendocino- Jedi Master star 3

May 24, 2004

Well...

Would it help if I got out and PUSHED???

Summer :)

9. OBI-BEN-KENOBI

OBI-BEN-KENOBI Jedi Knight star 6

Mar 13, 2004
    Although I allready knew all this stuff, a different question about the deathstar's propulsion occured to me. How do they plan out their hyperspace routes. The routes allready laid down cant compensate for a space station of the deathstar's size. And at hyper space if they hit a chunk of debris it would rip through the hull. Did they make their own hyperspace travel routes or what?

OBK

10. zacparis

zacparis VIP star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 1, 2003
    How does it move up and down? How does it rotate? Does it have directional thrusters?

Why ask these questions when SW has to be one of the least realistic space movies ever. :p

11. BaronFel88

BaronFel88 Jedi Knight star 7

Jan 25, 2004
    The fact the Death Star has hyperdrive underlines just how powerful a weapon it could be

I think it also underlies how powerful the main reactor must be. Same goes for the DSII. Kudos to the Imperial engineers.

12. sidious_onset

sidious_onset Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 27, 2003
    A giant pool cue hits it from behind.

13. DS615

DS615 Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 30, 2003
    Why ask these questions when SW has to be one of the least realistic space movies ever.

Spoken like a true trekkie. What, pray tell, makes any other sci-fi movie more real? They are all Science fiction. Hyperspace, Warp Drive, Jump Gates, and Stargates are all equally absurd.

Yes the Death Star has thrusters, and I see no reason it couldn't use established hyperspace routes. The real issue that the Imperial Designers need to deal with is this; Knowing that hyperspace travel is not possible whithin the gravity well of a celestial object, how does the Death Star jump to hyperspace when the ship itself generates a substantial gravity field?

14. k-man

k-man Jedi Youngling star 3

May 14, 2002
    In theory, if you push something in space it will never stop, as no gravity means no friction, therefore very little propulsion is needed to move, as effectively the death star is weightless.

Weightless, yes, but it's mass has to be contended with. It takes an extraodinary amount of energy to move the DS at a velocity anywhere near to light speed.

15. BenduHopkins

BenduHopkins Jedi Master star 4

Apr 7, 2004
    The first deathstar was pretty slow. You know in Ep IV when there is a screen diagram, and the Intercom voice says "Orbiting the planet at maximum velocity."

Looks like maximum velocity was pretty slow compared to the falcon.

16. Bib Fortuna Twi'lek

Jul 9, 1999
    The Death Star is very massive, and thus has a lot of inertia. It takes a lot of force to get it moving, and a lot of force to make it stop too.

17. Lightsabre

Lightsabre Fan Force Founder star 4 VIP

Nov 12, 1999
    Ballbearings. Yep, ballbearings and exhaust ports.

18. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    >>And at hyper space if they hit a chunk of debris it would rip through the hull.<<

Once a ship enters hyperspace after the initial acceleration, the craft exists in another dimension (as that is what hyperspace is), so any debris floating in space would not hit it. Also, I'd imagine the Death Star's shields could handle any debris encountered during that initial acceleration.

19. Bib Fortuna Twi'lek

Jul 9, 1999
    Unless the debris was big enough to cast a mass shadow on hyperspace.

20. jedi_master_ousley

jedi_master_ousley Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2002
    Taking a Death Star into hyperspace would be really fun, I think. I mean, just popping out of nowhere in something that big into a star system... awesome. :D

21. Darth_Deagol

Darth_Deagol Jedi Master star 2

Dec 22, 2002
    More importantly than how the Death Star moves is: Does it have a steering wheel and gas pedal?

Secondly: Can I drive it?

22. Leias_love_slave

Leias_love_slave Jedi Knight star 5

Oct 26, 2003
    "Can I drive it?"

Not until you pass the road test.

I always imagined it would be launched out of a giant straw...like a great big spitball.

Maybe this is where the space slug would figure in.

23. threepio_mania

threepio_mania Jedi Master star 3

Dec 15, 2002
    It doesn't.

The rest of the galaxy moves. Think about it! :)

24. Leias_love_slave

Leias_love_slave Jedi Knight star 5

Oct 26, 2003
    Maybe the galaxy far, far away is really just an atom under your fingernail.

Far out, man.

*groovy psychedelic music plays*

25. ISD_Devastator

ISD_Devastator Jedi Master star 4

Oct 11, 2002
    "it would be able to jump to any system it wanted, just appear out of no-where and start destroying planets before disappearing again."
    Damond, this is the most beautyful thought in this week! [face_love]
    [/OffTopic]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.