main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

how does this setup look?

Discussion in 'Fan Films, Fan Audio & SciFi 3D' started by Bane82, Sep 23, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bane82

Bane82 Jedi Youngling

Apr 7, 2007
    Hey everyone!

Just needed to see if I can get some advice.
    I'm planning on very shortly (within maybe a month or so) to make a short sitcom sketch (no, not SW related) I already have a finished script, I have access to some of the locations and I'm even in the middle of talks to borrow a space of cast auditions. I do currently have a mini DV cam of my own, but my question is this.

I was planning on getting a second mini DV cam for two purposes.

1) basically so I can shoot two different angles at the same time instead of one, since if I wanted to change to another angle, I don't want to loose too much continuity.

2) most importantly, audio. I only have a built in Mic in my current mini DV, and it's "ok" but lets be honest, we all know that very few built in mics are any good. Unfortunately, my current Mini DV Cam does not have a jack for an external mic. So I was hoping to get another mini DV cam which does have a mic jack (a cannon ZX 2800) and a shot gun mic (at235b) However. I met another independent film maker at a convention once, and he recommended that unless I, or the person handling the mic, knew what they were doing, that it would be best to simply get a mounted shotgun mic (found one at best buy for 70 bucks)So I wanted to ask, before I go out and expand my film equipment, what do you as independent film makers yourselves think? I do want good quality audio, which is why I considered the at235B shotgun, but at the same time, I do want the work to look as professional as possible, and if I don't have somebody on the shotgun mic who knows what they're doing (since I'll be behind camera) I don't want to end up with the mic or mic shadows showing on fram either.

Let me know what you think... mounted mic from best buy? or at235B?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.