main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CT How evil was the Galactic Empire?

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by Barkey Foreman, Apr 5, 2014.

1. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    I lean to the view that his life support system was destroyed by Palpatine's lightning, and he knew that would happen when he attacked Palpatine in the first place - result, it's "self-sacrificing".

Sarge likes this.
  2. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    Anakin didn't want to do evil things because he knew it was wrong deep down. Hence he's crying after killing everyone while waiting for Palpatine's call. Why he yelled, "What have I done?" after betraying Mace. Why he said that it was wrong to kill Dooku like he did. He just chooses to keep going along with it because he doesn't see an alternative to his situation that he can live with. Afterwards, he chooses to continue in service of Palpatine because he has become a slave to the dark side of the Force. Luke helps him to find the strength to break free of those shackles and turn on his Master.

Anakin isn't a hero. He just stops the horror and dies a good man. He cannot make up for his sins because Palpatine killed him in the process of saving Luke. He made a sacrifice for the first time in his life since leaving Tatooine and it was one that he could live with in good conscience. Trying to keep himself alive is the total opposite of what he had accomplished because that goes right back to the tragedy of Darth Plagueis and what he himself had tried to do in the first place. Yoda told both Skywalker men that death is a natural part of life and that it cannot be avoided forever. That's why when Luke says that he'll die with his helmet being removed, Anakin responds that it doesn't matter. He'll be dead soon enough with it on and that nothing can stop his death. He is acting as a Jedi Knight for the first time in a long time.

Iron_lord and Sarge like this.
  3. MOC Vober Dand

MOC Vober Dand Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 6, 2004
    I don't think crying and saying 'What have I done?' makes Anakin any less evil. I agree it may foreshadow his eventual redemption though.

Sarge likes this.
  4. TX-20

TX-20 Force Ghost star 4

Jun 21, 2013
    I choose to believe that his Chosen One status was his get out jail card.

"I didn't kill those Younglings, the destiny did!"

5. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    I didn't say it made him less evil. I said that it was not something he was desiring to do.

He admits his own guilt when he tells Luke that it is too late for him, at the landing platform. He knows that he was the one who did all those things. Killed and betrayed all those people. He knows that there is no one else to blame but himself. That's his penance. That's why this is my favorite scene.

[​IMG]

Iron_lord likes this.
  6. Polydroxol

Polydroxol Jedi Knight star 2

Jan 27, 2014
    Evil is not what someone does or doesn't do, evil is what someone stops you from doing, or makes you do.